Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Asian Repro Co

doesn't bode well...

image.jpg

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's probably why all the descriptions and detailed information are in Korean. LOL.

No.
Thanks.
And this is the main reason I have issues with certain countries - forgery/theft. Might be OK, might be lots of things, but when you start by stealing, you're out of my lineup.

Skyhawk

Vendor
You know I think it may be a mistake. Maybe bad English translation on their part. I don't think they would intentionally use another companies name. I mean everyone knows that it is illegal and just plain wrong to do that right?

I am thinking what they meant was "Manufacturers of Classic Good Wearing Leather Jackets" I hope. But who knows.

Interesting effort. The details look ok and NOS parts as well? Hard to say how the hide is on them though.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sneaky, change 'Coat' to 'Jacket'. Is that enough to avoid infringement?

Yes. In the United States, the general test is a "likelihood of confusion." Given the substantially similar names and products, a likelihood of confusion should not be difficult to establish. That said, in order to obtain trademark rights over a Korean company, GW must have filed an international trademark application with the International Bureau of the World Property Intellectual Organization (Korea is a member of the Madrid Protocol), in addition to its US trademark filing. GW's US trademark filing, without more, is not sufficient.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if it means they score hits on Google? I don't believe for a second that it's just a coincidence, tbh. It's not unheard of in this niche for people to use another trader's name in an arguably dubious way, is it? I'm looking at you Bill 'Aeronaut' Kelso, btw...

Skyhawk

Vendor
Yes it certainly seems suspicious. Hard to imagine them knowing about details like Carr snaps, and not knowing about The GW company. All around it just looks very bad.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think Superfluous and Big J explained it very well elsewhere on the Lounge, but basically it run along the lines that following the end of day, America invested huge amounts of money in setting Japan back on its feet during the 1950s, rather than treating it like subjugated, crushed nation, which the Japanese people had been led to expect. Thus, there is a nostalgia for the post-war 50s image of America and Americana generally.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I hope John takes them to task. I think a simple email to them saying 'Aye, right...' would probably get things moving in the right direction - it's not China, after all...

^^ Is Korea better than China in this regard? I can't imagine, and given they've taken this by all looks intentionally, I'd say they'll LOL at anything...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider