Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another B-3 repro thread

Gav

Practically Family
Thanks to @Royalcrown32 I have an Eastman Leather B-3 size 46. I believe this is the seal horsehide trim before they introduced warhorse.

Screw summer, I'm ready for winter...

33278126284_8e15831c37_c.jpg

33963370542_47e6f1a6d3_c.jpg

34120460695_726da680a4_c.jpg

33963372232_388f1014e5_c.jpg

Stand By

One Too Many
Lovely jacket - and it looks great with the OD watch cap too! It's a perfect fit on you! (just tuck the shirt! Better to let the sheepskin hem end by itself, IMO).
It looks mighty. Really nice. Good catch and good for you!
Wear it in good health and thanks for posting!

HPA Rep

Vendor
Looks superb! Thank you for posting. I agree that this is before the 2nd generation of WarHorse was introduced in the 2011-12 timeframe, and the Crown zipper places this no earlier than fall 2007. Clearly, this is a lovingly cared-for B-3. Congrats!

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
@Gav looking extra sharp dude. Especially the beardless muggg :)

That B3 looks like it was made to order

Reactions: Gav

Gav

Practically Family
Thanks for the knowledge @HPA Rep. The shearling is quite matte and feels a little dry, would you advise testing or is that a bad idea?
Thanks @bretron beard is gone for the summer, first time in a couple of years.

Stand By

One Too Many
That's really good to hear about its vintage and it's wonderful that it looks so good ... and to me, it seems that that jacket had your name on it, Gav, even way back when. As Bretron says, it looks like it was made for you - and it just took that extra time to get to you. I always like to see someone else's lovingly-cared-for jacket find a second good home with someone who totally appreciates it and it also fits a treat. Terrific.

Gav

Practically Family
...determned frown... haha I was trying not to squint in the sun - hence the cropped pictures.
My beard will be back in full effect come September.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...determned frown... haha I was trying not to squint in the sun - hence the cropped pictures.
My beard will be back in full effect come September.

I'm not allowed one!!!! The joys of a Wife :)

Gav

Practically Family
My wife didn't like the idea but then I grew it anyway and she came round to it.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Awesome! Eastman freaking rocks. Literally nothing I've seen from them was anything less than perfection.

Monitor, what about this? Things like this drive me nuts. Being the second most expensive A2 on the market, when are they gonna change supplier of knits.
0e5b93f0ccf20527d2bfb9a11638af1d.jpg
i don't recall the cuff near anything sharp or pointy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monitor, what about this? Things like this drive me nuts. Being the second most expensive A2 on the market, when are they gonna change supplier of knits.

Well... That does look pretty shabby. I've never handled an Eastman jacket but I just really dig the way they look on people here.

HPA Rep

Vendor

So sorry to see this, Reg, but it's wool knit, not Kevlar. Please tell me what you expect from wool knit.

Wool knit can snag on objects in one second. I vividly recall a customer who gifted his wife with an A-2, having her try the jacket on blindfolded, only to see that her raised engagement ring snagged the left cuff immediately without ever wearing the jacket. Damage done!

Knit cuffs are no different than a knit sweater and can experience the same pulls and snags as a sweater. Knit cuffs and linings are textile items and can experience tragedy instantaneously and are not subject to any type of warranty beyond that they are produced in the correct shape, weight and weave and not of poor workmanship, but the second you put the jacket on, all bets are off.

Look at vintage A-2's. The cuffs are almost always damaged, yet the waist knit is usually quite good, by comparison, which is because the cuffs are next to the hands and the hands are doing everything and coming in contact with so many things, whereas the waist knit gets only modest contact. Over the years of ownership, the #1 repair work we do for customers is replace knit cuffs, followed by lining repair/replacement (due to neck wear, which is the #2 repair because the neck area is next on the list of high abrasion/wear). Waist knit almost never has to be replaced, and customers usually only elect to have this replaced because they want this to match the new cuffs that are surely made from a new dye lot and have not faded from years of sun exposure.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many

Pulls on worsted wool knits are par for the course, IMO.
My Aero ANJ-3 was the same and they were replaced and now it's perfect again.
And the wool knit cuffs on one of my Buzz Ricksons A-10 gloves are the same but much worse - but they get an awful lot of wear on my dog walks every morning with me constantly taking my right glove on and off to pick up poop multiple times for every walk and so it's not surprising to me - so for that glove I have some suitably coloured thread and my embroidery needles out and, when I have the time, I'll tuck the errant pull and shore it up with a couple of stitches. "A stitch in time saves nine" and all that.

Gav

Practically Family
Getting cold in the uk again... will I have an early chance to wear the b-3...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points