Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Fountain pens post

AcmeNews

New in Town
I have two Waterman Phileas, one for blue ink, the other for black ink. Although they write well, I find that they tend to leave a little ink on my fingers. I think they leak a little into the cap, which then leaves ink on the portion of the pen that secures the cap. That is also where you grip the pen.

Has anybody else had this problem? Has anybody found a way to fix it? I've cleaned the pen, but the problem comes back.

By the way, people looking for nice pens and other classic items should check out Levenver.com. Not that I want to advertise for them, but my wife and I have purchased many items from them over the years and have loved all.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Funny that you should say that...

AcmeNews said:
I have two Waterman Phileas, one for blue ink, the other for black ink. Although they write well, I find that they tend to leave a little ink on my fingers. I think they leak a little into the cap, which then leaves ink on the portion of the pen that secures the cap. That is also where you grip the pen.

Has anybody else had this problem? Has anybody found a way to fix it? I've cleaned the pen, but the problem comes back.

By the way, people looking for nice pens and other classic items should check out Levenver.com. Not that I want to advertise for them, but my wife and I have purchased many items from them over the years and have loved all.

Funny you should say that because with my new Waterman I'm getting the same thing and right now I have ink spots on my hands.

I'd love to know how to fix this and I think that you're onto something.

Jon

magneto

Practically Family
I don't have a Waterman but might the pen be leaking from the area between the grip and where the nib is "set in" (I don't know the right terms for that...) Maybe it needs to be tightened? Doesn't Waterman have a pretty good/lifetime warranty? Best case, you should be able to send the pen to them to be repaired free, or try taking it to a pen shop if you have one near you for someone to diagnose the problem.

Try searching here: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.collecting.pens-pencils
This is a fountain pen newsgroup... see if someone has posted about a similar problem, or ask the folks there perhaps for pointers.
Good luck!

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Type of ink?

John in Covina or someone else more knowledgeable could probably better comment, but sometimes the brand of ink can make a difference due to varying viscosity. If you are using the converter, try different brands of ink and see if that helps. I only have one Waterman Phileas that I have always used with the converter and Levenger Cardinal Red bottled ink (for grading papers, I'm a teacher) and I've never had a problem with it leaking. Other pens, yes, quite a problem but never the Phileas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran