Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another score for KWD Radio

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
In my never-ending quest to fully equip the studio of my micro-power micro station with a full lineup of golden era broadcast equipment, I occasionally stumble on a prize. My latest find is an RCA 70-C2 broadcast turntable, just like the two in this photo:

KSCO.jpg

KSCO San Jose

Unfortunately, it's going to need new paint. But it's mechanically sound and everything's there, even the stylus. It's big and heavy (180 lbs) but very cool. It's a perfect match for my RCA 76-C mixer (also in the photo).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That whole line of RCA equipment is wonderful stuff -- the first station I worked had had that very mixer, along with a 250-watt transmitter from the same series as the units shown in the picture. I got to know them very well!

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Hi Reno Kid, a very cool find. :eusa_clap
Amazing that stuff still exists when there are so many ways it could have been pitched or recycled by the original owners, which is especially tempting with larger pieces like this.

Just wondering, how close are you to getting the full studio of golden era equipment you want? I checked your older posts but didn't find out just how much you already have.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
RetroToday said:
Just wondering, how close are you to getting the full studio of golden era equipment you want? I checked your older posts but didn't find out just how much you already have.

The turntable is a huge step forward. The console and the turntables are by far the hardest pieces to acquire. I still need a mate for the turntable as there were at least two in any self-respecting studio. I also have a portable RCA mixer (BN-2A) and a growing collection of microphones. Some of the classic mics are easy enough to find, but outrageously expensive. An RCA 44-B for example, is unlikely to turn up for under a grand. But I've found that with patience, I always seem to get lucky eventually. There are a few miscellaneous pieces of monitoring equipment, but they're not that hard to find. Also, I need to pick up a couple of "on air" lights an a few other things.

You can check my progress on my website, which is itself still very much a work in progress (link in my signature).

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Sorry I didn't notice your website in your signature before. What an amazing project you have going there - I love the fact that you're even backdating (removing) some of the 'improvements' made to the equipment to their original configuration. :eusa_clap

Hope you're successful in getting all you need, I can't wait to see it all together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana