Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Virgin bites the dust!!!!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Got your attention eh??? Let me explain.

A few weeks ago I received an email from a gent that peruses the Lounge but hasn't posted yet. He was in the process of deciding first if he wanted to start wearing a fedora, and second, what kind would fit his lifestyle. He had searched the threads for a while and asked for some advice on styles that would fit his needs. After a few emails he sent a picture of a classic light, tall crown, wide bound brim, ( I think it was a '40s Borsalino of yours Matt Deckard) and asked if I could reproduce it for him. My response? Piece-O-Cake!!!
You tell me..is it faithful? He asked me to post the pics on the Lounge on his behalf and I'm hoping that your responses will entice him to join the fray.

First, the hat I tried to reproduce, then the finished product. I like this combo so much that I will be making it in Limited Edition under the name "Manhattan"
McNam%20hat.jpg

The Manhattan
Manhattan1_small.jpg

Manhattan2_small.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Grand again!

Your client has been vey well served.
Dear Anonymous Lurker Client Gent: Join the Lounge and the fun!

I'm a little curious though... one looks like a center dent and the other a c-crown?

Bebop

Practically Family
Very nice hat. The more I see of your work, Art, the more I want a new custom hat. Have not had great luck (bad communication, extra long wait for the hat, sloppy workmanship that I fixed myself) with my one custom hat by a very respected hatmaker here and am kind of shy about going the custom route again but from what I see, you are The Man. I like the fact that your hats differ in style to suit whatever one wants. I really like The Manhattan.

Oh Man! Another great hat. Is that a Pearl Gray in color or more of a medium gray. It looks silver in the second photo and more medium gray in the first picture in the outside light. What color is the ribbon? It kind of looks black but not out in the light. Could it be a dark blue? Whatever the case it is a winner. :cheers1:

Regards,

J

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
OH SHOOT!!!

I forgot to give the specs
Color..Silver Mist
Binding, 6 ligne "Ice"
Ribbon 16 ligne "Cobalt"
5 3/4" crown. 2 3/4" brim

Thanks for the encouragement Gents, the owner is pretty happy with it.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Sorry Scot, missed your question. Clearly I was trying for the right hand hat that is a modified "C" crown. The left side is an "Indy". I've seen this pic before on the Lounge but can't remember who's hats they are. I went for the "C" but then softened the "points" that make the difference between it and the teardrop.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
"I hope you can get him to post a few pictures of it himself. "

I hope so also JP..but I respect and understand his reluctance. Like I said, this is his first fedora so he feels he needs a bit more time to gain confidence. There are some pretty savy hat wearers here such as yourself and it's easy to feel intimdated when jumping into a knowledge pond as deep as the Lounge when you don't know the players. Heck, you and I have shared enough cocktails to not worry about such things:cheers1:

Wild Root

Gone Home
Nice light color hat there Art. I'd love to see that same hat with a some what shorter brim and with out the "C" block. A nice center dent would show off the nice high crown better I think. It would make it look more 30's then 40's.

Try and capture this hat, I'm sure you'd sell a million of them!!!

knapp17el.jpg

=WR=

PS. If any one comments on the guy in the ad looking like a homosexual, I swear I'll leave this place and never return!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Wild Root said:
I'd love to see that same hat with a some what shorter brim and with out the "C" block. A nice center dent would show off the nice high crown better I think. It would make it look more 30's then 40's.

Try and capture this hat, I'm sure you'd sell a million of them!!!
I am 100% in agreement with Wildroot! Art, have you considered making a model with a 1930s (high crown, 2 3/8" brim) silhouette? If you ever do, I will be second in line (after Wildroot, of course) to buy one!

WEEGEE

Practically Family
INDIGO S-W-OON

The Manhattan is another fine hat :cheers1:

Art,
I forgot to give the specs

Ribbon 16 ligne "Cobalt"

Any Mid-night Blue in the felt hatline soon ?

Loving the "Sportaire" and "Eddie G" ...Art you Swing.

WeeGee

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
You are going to laugh your socks off....

Art, that light grey "Borsalino" that's sitting next to my Phantom Blue Optimo, actually isn't.... It's a hat you made for me nearly two years ago.

It's a copy of your own hat!

I guess my hat was the first of your Limited Edition! LOL

EricH

One of the Regulars
To become a real man in a Manhatten

might be every adolescent fedora lovers dream. Another fine hat, what could I add? Art, once again I love the light colors and the subtle differences. I think you might be moving hatmaking up to an art like winemaking. Of course then we'll all have to build "cellars" to hold our vintage collections. So when do you issue your VS Visa card? Just imagine the pelts you could afford with the interest we'd be willing to pay!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Wearing the Stingy Brim Dunce Cap, am I

Art Fawcett said:
Sorry Scot, missed your question. Clearly I was trying for the right hand hat that is a modified "C" crown. The left side is an "Indy". I've seen this pic before on the Lounge but can't remember who's hats they are. I went for the "C" but then softened the "points" that make the difference between it and the teardrop.

I somehow thought that the picture of the two hats on the deck were the first hat/copy hat pics, then the other two just better views of the copy hat.
In that case, since I was unable to tell them apart, I'd say you nailed it!! Beautiful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch