Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anti-Anti Baseball Cap League?

Will you stand-up against anti-baseball cap types?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I am hereby forming a non-militant (in other words lazy) anti-anti-baseball cap league.

Yes dear friends, we will purge the world of anti-baseball cap threads like an internet enema and return their use to those that SHOULD be posting them... no one!

Now repeat after me... "Unless I'm locked in a state of federal institution, I will not start a thread about whether or not anyone should wear a baseball hat!"

Now don't you feel better?

I personally feel safer knowing the world is a better place!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I like baseball caps (only Phillies ones mind you!) and wear mine from time to time.

Sometimes (gasp!!) I wear one backwards, especially when out on photo jobs.

Personally, I couldn't care less what hat anyone wears - it's their head, not mine :D:D

T Rick

Practically Family
Okay, the divide begins. It's the us against them thing. Thing is, I do own some ball caps. AOPA. Various watch brands (I collect watches too). And several work related (companies I've worked for, plants I've worked at...). Oh, and a couple from various airplane museums (BIG fan of those, too in fact my favorite ball cap commemorates the SR71 aircraft at Kalamazoo's Air Zoo).

Problem is, I've already replied in the other thread. So am I a spy? Am I a traitor? Am I a double agent??

Perhaps I just want the healing to begin.... let the two factions that once were the hat section of TFL come together in understanding and tolerance. Let us once again unite, in our love of the WAR, the TAR, and the Mid Ribbon. Maybe the Mods will see fit to merge these two threads, to make us whole again. People, we must stop this infighting! We must rise up, and see that we are bigger than that! Or, we could simply let the mud fly... might be fun, eh? :D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
jackson.jpg

Carnacki25

New in Town
I have a lot of baseball hats, and I have some really nice Historical Repro ones from the now defunct Cooperstown Ball Cap Co. Each were handmade to order with leather bands, original materials and patterns. Really nice. They have reformed as Shadow Cap Co, or something like that, and they look extremely old style and classy if you wear the right casual clothes. I have an early St. Louis Browns one, Milwaukee Braves, and a German 1890 Military Baseball team hat. I'll post them if I get a minute. That being said, baseball caps have a time and a place, and can look like extreme crap! Overall I am in favor though.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting, I have been painting my new house this weekend (and look like this week to come) to protect my head and hair form paint I wear a ball cap. If not a ball cap what would I wear?
Johnny

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
My grandpa has worn a baseball cap his whole life. Even in photos from the 30's and 40's he's in a ball cap. never a fedora. He also wears driving caps or fishing hats.

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
Isn't it funny how most of the anti baseball cap crowd like to complain about people not being tolerant of them wearing fedoras?! :doh:

I don't see what's so offensive about the baseball cap? And even if someone can't stand the sight of them (for whatever strange reason), they should show the respect and courtesy they expect to receive in their headwear.

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
I'd like to make it clear that I like certain baseball caps. I do think it will become a vintage item one day - I have no doubt. But I prefer the look of hats of an earlier historical origin. I feel that despite being born into the modern world I feel like style has evolved but in a machine-made way. I followed fashion as a teenager and wore baseball caps, hoodies, trainers (sneakers eg Nike Air) so I'll always have a soft spot for 80s-90s fashion influence - which is still present today.

I have a collection of about 65 different New Era baseball caps and a few others. I live in an area where most young people like hip hop fashion and I have been through many fashion trends as a youngster myself. But for the past 10 years I've been a closet vintage admirer. I've been experimenting with vintage styles in public of late and I received a lot of public mockery and aggression. But I think I've finally mastered my style and the negative comments have ceased. Subsequently I don't tend to wear my baseball hats these days but I still love my collection.

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
Isn't it funny how most of the anti baseball cap crowd like to complain about people not being tolerant of them wearing fedoras?! :doh:

I haven't encountered this at all. Perhaps you can provide some specifics.

I don't see what's so offensive about the baseball cap? And even if someone can't stand the sight of them (for whatever strange reason), they should show the respect and courtesy they expect to receive in their headwear.

Oh please. Discourtesy would be telling a person directly you don't like the kind of hats they wear. Here we are simply expressing generic preferences. Express yours and don't criticize others for expressing theirs.

I don't like men wearing shorts with their underwear showing at the top. I don't like computer telephone answering devices. I don't even like neckties. Those are preferences not discourtesies.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I wear ball caps to work in. Many of my good ballcaps cost quite a bit of money. My wife does not like me wearing ball caps out with her so I wear my Fedoras and Milans out with her. Perhaps we need a Ballcap thread I have always felt that there is a anti ball cap bias in the forum.
But really for most men the ballcap is the gate way drug into the whole wearing a hat everyday habit. There really isn't a lot of choice form the vast majority of men to find good hats. Most city's do not have hat shop like they did in the old days. Most people find this forum in trying to find the next step up from ballcaps as they get tired of wearing just ballcaps and want to expand their headwear some what.The young guys a work with in their 20's and 30's that wear ballcaps come up and look at my Fedoras when I wear them to work and ask questions. I always answer and tell them where to look. Encouraging hat wearing will expand everyone's choices and cause the hat companies to start making quality hats again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112