Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any cool Art Deco or 1920s/30s clubs/bars where you live?

NicknNora

A-List Customer
We were curious where we could find some really cool Art Deco or 1920s/30s themed bars or clubs. We know about the Cicada Lounge on the West coast but wondered if there were any more really nice clubs scattered across the U.S.? Anyone?

Warden

One Too Many
Not really a bar or club, but I live near Milton Keynes in the UK which is a new city, built in the 1960s onwards.

However they have used wonderful art deco style posters to advertise the city, shame the building do not really look like this.

If you look out of the window you are usually looking at a huge expanse of glass

the_point_of_milton_keynes_poster-p228263126182091185tdcp_400.jpg

art-deco-milton-keynes-city-poster-zbigniew-rusin.jpg

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, actually.. YES and NO.
Why "no"? ..It's a night club, with regular DJ, with a dance-floor and a speakers on the ground (two reasons: so they shake you kidneys up, and so you can climb up and show everyone how you move / how drunk you are..)
Why "yes".
It's called RICK'S. http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2368635904/tt0034583.. just like in Casablanca.
Here, maybe these will help:
IMG_1225.jpg

It look like a pub after an air raid. That was the idea (all the smoke you see is.. well.. SMOKE. There is no " no smoking" zone in this club)
And Bogart is everywhere:

IMG_1237.jpg

Johnny Dollar

New in Town
in baltimore there is the OWL BAR - located in the Belvedere hotel, which you might remember from the Mad Men episode where Sal has a dalliance with a bellboy. the owl bar was a speakeasy during prohibition: when the owl's eyes over the bar lit up, that meant that booze was being served.

http://www.theowlbar.com/#/home/

in bethelehem, pennsylvania, is the bookstore speakeasy. they serve classic cocktails, and there is a password to get in (now available through facebook, with a nod to the 21st century)

http://www.thebookstorespeakeasy.com/

Stiv

New in Town
I love art deco, especially the streamline variety or streamlined modern as I believe they call it. I haven't found a bar here in Dallas, but there are a couple of beautiful old theaters here.
When I had my little studio built I finished it out in art deco. You can see it in my film noir web series Movie Parody Network.
Unfortunately it's not in color. You can see a 3 fold screen in the background of this shot that I built. It has some nice designs on it.
Here's a webisode from our latest release.
ry%3D400

Montgomery offends Monkey Monkey. Katherine makes a miraculous escape and no one notices or cares. The “double tap” site gag continues, and it’s one Scotch away from being annoying. Still, there are worse gags you could steal from.

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Not art deco or themed, but opened in 1934 and still has most of the original fixtures- the Quarry House Tavern- a basement watering hole in Silver Spring MD. Great burgers and wings, huge beer list, the best and most eclectic jukebox I've ever encountered and live music. Fantastic, low ceilinged, no window-ed place.

Warden

One Too Many
Slightly off on a tangent, but Just come back from a traditional British sea side break. Stayed in an amazing art deco building.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
There are a few ........... in South Miami Beach........
.........................hundred

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points