Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any experts care to help a novice identify a cool older jacket?

StrykerMontana

New in Town
Hello there! I'm Nick from Montana. I want to start off by saying thanks to the people of this forum for helping me select the right jacket for my motorcycle. I ended up with a Black Horse jacket that works great on my bike and will take a hit if ever needed while skidding down the highway at over a hundred. I did a lot of research on here and never really signed up. This page created a new hobby in my life. I have always had more technical clothing and equipment and took note of production methods, country of origin and quality. This place seems to be all about fine gear, so thanks for the lessons and priceless information I obtained from this site.

The other week I was on a local facebook page that sells new, used and services here in the flathead valley. Doing a keyword search on all the listings I found a really neat Cafe style jacket that I believe is of higher quality and probably made in the USA. It has YKK zippers, a nice heavy cowhide exterior, heavy nylon feeling interior and the straps and adjustments that lead me to believe the maker of this jacket had a history of motorcycle jackets. It is not a dress jacket. It seems to be all business.

The zippers are brass and look similar to my Dark Horse and Schott Jackets. It's what caught my eye. The liner may be a refurbish job as there is no labels anywhere, including the pockets on the jacket. Believe it or not, I picked it up for $25usd and was really happy to find such a neat jacket that I wont feel bad about when I get it dirty.

Any help or direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you in advance and hello from the great North West Montana Territory! 3-7-77

IMG_20160202_112212.jpg IMG_20160202_112319.jpg IMG_20160202_112353.jpg IMG_20160202_112427.jpg IMG_20160202_112521.jpg IMG_20160202_112551.jpg IMG_20160202_112659.jpg

This place seems to be all about fine gear...

...more like white whale but anyway...

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Just the other day, I was searching online for a jacket maker that works with lighter leathers and doesn't charge a premium and I stumbled upon this exact jacket but for the life of me, I cannot remember the name of the brand. It's of a recent make, in any case and yeah, ti does look nice.

StrykerMontana

New in Town
...more like white whale but anyway...

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Just the other day, I was searching online for a jacket maker that works with lighter leathers ...

If you stumble upon it again, let me know! The zippers do feel and look 80's ish. All the new stuff seems to be chrome in the bike section. This jacket seems extremely heavy compared to other cow hide jackets but it has been ridden with many times making it flexible. It's about as heavy as my horse hide jacket although a bit larger too. What do you consider light weight? I would only wear this in the fall on my bike as rain gear with that heavy nylon liner!

I'm sorry, my wording came off wrong - What I meant was that I found this type of jacket while looking at other jacket manufacturers. But yeah, I know this type of leather, it's an extremely heavy stuff. Vintage Walter Dyer grade. I recall now that the link popped up on some motorcycle forum, H-D dot com, possibly, or some other. ABC Leathers? ASB Leathers? Man, what was it... I'll try to find something and will get back to you if I do.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I think it could well be a Branded Garments jacket. The current racer on their website is very similar. Has snaps and zippers on the sides like this one which you don't see too often.

StrykerMontana

New in Town
I think it could well be a Branded Garments jacket. The current racer on their website is very similar. Has snaps and zippers on the sides like this one which you don't see too often.
looks similar but the breast pockets are different along with the zips. Just seems strange to have no marks. Cool company, thanks for sharing. The search continues!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk