1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Any hope for mold damaged shoes?

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by Miss Moonlight, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Miss Moonlight

Miss Moonlight A-List Customer

These shoes made it through so many years- decades- before ending up in my possession. And I've had them about 18 years, and have worn them several times, but not for the past ten years. Post-baby, my feet grew half a size. :( So I've had these sitting in my closet with other shoes. I was reorganizing today and I noticed that mildew smell. All my shoes are fine except for these, and this happened very recently, as I handled them only a couple months ago and they seemed fine. It has been a wet winter in terms of fog and how we've had some rain in the past weeks, and we're close to the ocean, but I've lived closer to the ocean than this and these shoes were fine then.

Oh this is so upsetting. All the white 'powdery' stuff is mold. These shoes are normally an even black, of course. 20190123_170659.jpg 20190123_170702.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Try wiping them down with a soft cloth dampened with vinegar -- don't soak the shoes, just wipe them down. And then put them in an airy location to dry out. Couldn't hurt.

MissMittens and Miss Moonlight like this.
  3. Miss Moonlight

Thanks, Lizzie. I'll give it a shot.

4. Miss Moonlight

This shot shows that the damage is still there, but without the flash or harsh lighting, it's harder to see now than before. So the vinegar did help a little. I'm going to do some research online to see if there's any other way of saving them. I'm afraid they're doomed. :(
    20190208_193824.jpg 20190208_193834.jpg

5. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

It's hard to tell in the pics, but are those suede? If so, have you tried a suede brush dampened in vinegar to sort of gently raise the nap where the mold was? I've done that with some success in getting salt stains off suede shoes.

6. Miss Moonlight

Going by the way the edges fray, I don't think so. But you know, that's worth a shot because it's fairly close to the way suede feels.

7. BegintheBeguine

BegintheBeguine My Mail is Forwarded Here

I've also used rubbing alcohol on a damp sponge to remove mold and/or mildew on shoes and handbags. Then I put the item in a sunny window to dry. I hope it works; those are cute shoes.