Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any idea when this Aero Highwayman was made?

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Hey folks, I did use FL's search facility to try and find an answer but didn't turn anything up... tooling around on Ebay a few nights ago, I cursorily had a look through the vintage leather jackets on offer, when I spotted a familiar shape, listed at just £14.99 / $20 – what looked like an Aero Highwayman actually turned out to be the real deal, the proof being a label shot buried in the seller's album! So I put a bid on and won it – okay, so the lining's pretty knackered, but an Aero for £25 including postage? :D

I've never seen this label variant before, anyone have an idea as to when it was made? And has anyone had Aero reline a jacket in, say, heavy cotton drill – if so, what was the cost and turnaround time? Any help gratefully received!

1231686_10153241584415471_725703872_n.jpg

1236242_10153241560940471_2144088376_n.jpg

995513_10153241561105471_1134855071_n.jpg

1238757_10153241560955471_980746780_n.jpg

1235169_10153241560945471_2009268626_n.jpg

Last edited:

winterland1

Practically Family
Wow what a find. Why didn't I see that?
I am sure Aero can give you some info. Ask when you inquire about relining.
Does the leather have any issues? rips etc.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Very nice:)
It is as Seb points out , a very early 1980s jacket, probably about 1984 made in their Moffat factory. I have a standard single pocket Highwayman with the same label.
if it was a Sam Walker jacket it would have a Sam Walker label in it, though they were an Aero outlet until Sam thought they could rip them off(Ask Aero)
J

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Very nice:)
It is as Seb points out , a very early 1980s jacket, probably about 1984 made in their Moffat factory. I have a standard single pocket Highwayman with the same label.
if it was a Sam Walker jacket it would have a Sam Walker label in it, though they were an Aero outlet until Sam thought they could rip them off(Ask Aero)
J

I bought this jacket a little over a year ago which was relined.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...n-will-ride-again!/page3&highlight=highwayman
It's my only Aero and I'm glad to have it. Congrats on a great find.

Whatever you do, keep the old label!!!!!

Worf

Thanks folks, nice to know its history! Jake, if they're still charging £80 for a re-lining, that's brilliant! Worf, of course I'll be keeping the label!

'Usual wear and tear' is what the listing said, mainly seemed to be the lining but I did spot the odd small surface scrape and I guess the pocket bags may be knackered, or minor things like that... the listing mentioned a 'strong smell of smoke' so a good recondition will be in order, guess I'll find of there are any other issues when it arrives... I'm hoping that it'll replace my 'Aero' era Sam Walker Highwayman, but if it doesn't fit or isn't right, I'll be flipping it – whichever one goes to a new home, you good folks on the FL will be the first to be offered it...

It's been a pretty crappy year, personally – losing my job, illness in the family, etc – so this cheered me up no end! :D

Of course, knowing my luck, the Royal Mail will probably lose the parcel!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Thought you may like to see mine, another cheapie buy, £43 about 7 years ago.
PA120039.jpg

PA120041.jpg

Sheep lined, original lining though the pockets are fine but the corduroy lining is holed. Puller on the zipper was missing so I put a French 20 centime coin on, works perfect.
J

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Well, blow me down wiv a feather, the Highwayman turned up!

1380405_10153266076895471_1763227494_n.jpg

As Seb suggested, by the feel and the grain, it would seem to be Connolly steer, which is relatively weighty but not at much as later jackets, and it responded well to a good wipe over with some Gold Medal hide food... the lining is pretty shredded, but liveable for the mo', and it fits well, although an extra half inch on the arms wouldbe nice... the differences between this earlier Aero and the 'Aero era' Sam Walker-labelled Highwayman I've got are quite marked – this looks closer to a 1960s-70s British-made jacket, like a Lewis or Mascot, in terms of the hide, zippers (no-names) and slightly slanted pockets / more shaped arms. The later Highwayman seems quite American-styled in comparison... pretty chuffed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana