Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Lamp Experts Here?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Here's another salvage from my late Aunt's house - a floor lamp that looks sweet next to my Bogie chair from Thomasville.

I am questioning the lamp shade however. It doesn't look right without it (the blubs are too bright) but the inner glass piece look very nice.

Can anyone date this lamp? And thoughts about the shade (my guess it isn't vintage but just fit the lamp - it just sits on top).

Thank you bunches as always - your ideas/thoughts are always invaluable!

Photo_080907_005.jpg

Photo_080907_006.jpg

Photo_080907_004.jpg

Photo_080907_003.jpg

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Brian, I have an almost identical lamp. It was left here by the previous owners at my request. However, what I really wanted was the shade and they took that! It was a white 50's fiberglass shade with black stringy swirls and lacing around the edges. I don't know if your lamp is 50s, but that was a popular style in the 30s-70s. The milkglass shade makes me think it's of the earlier years, but the shiny brass base puts it late 50s (hard to tell from the photos)....

You might be able to find an original shade online, but any good lamp shop will have a decent (fabric not fiberglass, tho) replacement. You just have to find the proper shape. I would suggest buying one that is wider than it is higher and straight-sided, not tapered at the top.

I would definitely replace any old wiring & sockets first, though.

Foofoogal

Banned
A torchiere floor lamp does not require the lamp shade that is on it as the middle part is the shade.
Appears to be about 1930s from photos but I cannot see the scroll part well enough. Is it brass? Hold a magnet to it and if it sticks it is not brass or it is just brass plated. Sandy

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
If anyone could post a pic of what a proper shade for it might look like that would be a big help.

Or if a better pic would do the trick, I'd be happy to take another.

As for its composition - the magnet sticks so it isn't brass, sad to say.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Brian, this lamp is very similar to yours, it has a milky colored "reflector", although it is only a single bulb. I was thinking 50's but maybe I was wrong, it may be quite a bit older.

P1000727.jpg

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
A torchiere floor lamp does not require the lamp shade that is on it as the middle part is the shade.
Appears to be about 1930s from photos but I cannot see the scroll part well enough. Is it brass? Hold a magnet to it and if it sticks it is not brass or it is just brass plated. Sandy

That is correct for this type of lamp, they were made to use the milk shade as a torchiere lamp.
You can get a screw in adapter so you don't have to use a Mogul bulb if you would prefer another type of light bulb.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I looked at that website at my design seems similar to the "Maragret" which did not have a shade, only the reflector bowl around the main bulb.

Maybe the question isn't which shade goes with this lamp but what kind of bulbs for the 3 that surround the main one? The 60w white bulbs I have in there now are wayyyyy to big and bright not to be shaded.

We do have a speciality lighting company in my town. I may have to take this up with them.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
While looking for an new uno lampshade for my antique bridge arm lamp, I came across this page that explains the difference between a diffuser and a torchiere. It looks like your lamp is a diffuser.

http://www.antiquelampco.com/Lamps/DiffuserLamps.htm

And on a releated note, does anyone know where I can get a nice antique looking lampshade for a bridge arm lamp. The ones I keep finding online are outrageously priced.

BeBopBaby said:
While looking for an new uno lampshade for my antique bridge arm lamp, I came across this page that explains the difference between a diffuser and a torchiere. It looks like your lamp is a diffuser.

http://www.antiquelampco.com/Lamps/DiffuserLamps.htm

And on a releated note, does anyone know where I can get a nice antique looking lampshade for a bridge arm lamp. The ones I keep finding online are outrageously priced.

Great thread! I see these lamps in every antique mall and they never have shades on them but I always suspected they were soposed to.
I'm glad to know you can put a bulb adapter in them as I didn't know if the other style was still available.

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
BeBopBaby,

This site has some relatively nice shades: http://www.specialtylampshades.com/catalog/uno_floor___shade_screws_onto_socket__193810_products.htm

Here are a few others:

http://www.rejuvenation.com/

http://www.vintageshades.com/Bridgelamps.htm

http://www.lampsplus.com

The prices for lampshades nowadays can be somewhat shocking but factoring in that you usually only have to buy them once and look at it all the time, I would spend the money on a nice one. However if you are ambitious and thrifty, perhaps you could purchase a cheaper shade in the right shape and doctor it to your liking?

P.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hi Brian! I've got one of those whatchamacallit lamps, too. Here are pics showing the side bulbs. I don't know what they're called, maybe flame bulbs? But you can get them from 25 to 60 watts, both clear and tinted. I think they even have ones that flicker. I also have a shot of the base. You'll notice a little push button switch, and light peeking through the holes in the base and the stone material around the base. There is a little night light bulb in the base, that's turned on by pressing your toe on the switch. All in all a pretty cool piece of 1930's technology. I got the lamp for $20 at a second hand place (as opposed to an antique shop lol ) close to 20 years ago. I got the shade, which is maybe a few years newer and not quite as fancy as I'd like, a few years later for (are you ready?) $3. It's fun to find bargains!
The mogul bulb has a different diameter than a standard bulb, and as far as I know, comes only in a three way 100/150/250 wattage.
I have used mine with a floor dimmer switch, which enables you to have all bulbs turned on, but at reduced illumination. It makes a nice effect.
P. S. Have you gotten to Chautauqua yet this season?
The lamp top with side bulbs
Lamp1.jpg

The shade:
Lampshadesmall.jpg

The base:
Lampbaseesmall.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112