Any motorcyclists into Vanson motorcycle jackets? Recommend me one.

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Andrew Putnam, Jan 20, 2021.

1. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

Looking forward to seeing it !!

2. Andrew Putnam

Andrew Putnam Familiar Face

What a great discussion- very informative. The heat in Australia during summer can be an issue on the bike, eg: 42C this Sunday predicted. I have some Klim textile/mesh jackets which aren't bad in the heat while moving, but I find leather more comfortable, and the partially perforated leather AlpineStars SP1 jacket I own really ventilates as well as the Klim mesh jackets. The Vanson Drifter with the vents in the sleeves and back isn't terribly far behind either. So I'm imagining a fully perforated leather jacket such as the Vanson Hurricane would be better still, plus offer a very good bonus in safety, longevity, can be layered for winter, and also just offers that bonus of owning and wearing a really well made top quality jacket.

3. Bender

Bender Familiar Face

Love the Vanson x Union Garage V7.

dannyk and Andrew Putnam like this.
  4. Andrew Putnam

Just ordered a Cobra Jacket off eBay! Now a months wait...

Peter Mackin likes this.
  5. Schambach

Schambach One of the Regulars

Fair enough, thanks! Funny, because the leather on mine seems completely different, smooth and shiny and stiff. Maybe with time it will change some.

6. yellowfever

yellowfever One of the Regulars

Looks like a great choice for your climate as it’s got plenty of adjustable venting - sounds like you’ll need it with 42C temp! ... looking forward to seeing what you think of it. (I was wrong about the hurricane jacket I mentioned earlier - that is the fully vented perforated leather everywhere model, not the adjustable perforated leather venting ones like in the cobra, challenger or lightening models). Oh and I just remembered there was a cobra jacket going in the classifieds here too? And some sport rider pants as well I think... but anyway hopefully you’re sorted for life now!

Andrew Putnam likes this.
  7. regius

regius My Mail is Forwarded Here

Will post fit photo later

roadking04 likes this.
  8. regius

Dom II

Attached Files:

dannyk and Andrew Putnam like this.
  9. regius

On Vanson Instagram, there’s an ad from 1988, a leather version of the “Barbour jacket”, cost $400. At the time the ad said “if you have a lot of dough...”. True. But, Vanson’s price today is only $100-200 more from 1988!

Andrew Putnam and Schambach like this.
  10. Andrew Putnam

Yes I think it will be a great all round jacket but for 42 degree C days I think I'll have to get a fully perforated model. So some space for more Vansons. That said, the Drifter I have has the Ram Air arm vents and the vents on the back and while moving it ventilates pretty well in the heat, not far off a ventilated mesh jacket. I think the Cobra has the sleeve and back vents plus the chest "Air Curtain" system so it will be interesting to see if it ventilates better than the Drifter with just the sleeve and back vents. Should do on paper at least. Although the Drifter has the medium weight Firenze leather which is still around 1.3mm thick (it's just very soft) vs the 1.5 competition leather.
    I saw the Cobra in the classifieds here here but at 44/46 thought it would have been slightly too small. Really beautiful jacket though. Ended up picking up a 48 from an eBay seller who provided pics and measurements upon request which unfortunately most eBay sellers refuse to or are unable to do for some reason. So that was what enabled me to commit to a purchase. By the time it gets to Australia summer may very well nearly be over, but there will certainly be many summers to come.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  11. yellowfever

yellowfever One of the Regulars

Sounds like the cobra you bought will be pretty flexible, big perforated chest vents should surely make a clear difference to airflow, though if you have a faired bike it may not be as dramatic a difference as on an unfaired machine? Be interesting to hear your thoughts once you get it/try it out. Anyway, glad that regardless there will still be excuses for you to buy at least one further jacket for the really hot days :) maybe a Vanson hurricane...

12. Andrew Putnam

Very nice

Bender likes this.
  13. Downunder G Man

Downunder G Man One Too Many

I have a few Vanson riding jackets that I regularly cycle thru' on my twice weekly (at least) Harley rides.
    I have 2 Vanson Comet variants , one of which is the perforated version.
    I have a Vanson Sturgis , straight zippered collared jacket with arm and back zippered venting for airflow.
    And my "heaviest" Vanson Ike in competition steer. A 'winter' only jacket here in Perth Western Australia.
    As a point of note , none of my riding jackets are "armoured" but that's my personal choice.
    For our tomorrow's coastal Saturday ride the forecast is dry/humid and "only" 27C ! I may wear the Sturgis , or perhaps the non perforated Comet. Or another non Vanson offering...I will decide in the morning !
    Previous photos from the lounge below.

Vanson Comet Firenze steerhide. A short fitting jacket such is the style.

Vanson Comet Scarboro 2.jpg

Vanson Comet perforated , my 35c+ hot day go-to choice

Vanson perforated Comet Mullaloo.jpg

Vanson Sturgis vented , for "in between" "nice" and "hot" days

Vanson Sturgis Scarboro.jpg

Vanson Ike, competition steerhide , my heaviest jacket by far , purely a "winter" jacket here. I know we are soft !

Vanson Ike Scarboro 4.jpg

14. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

I have one of these, great jacket, highly recommended!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edit: And i paid $450 for it a couple months ago, funny that i spent more on it 30 years later than what it was worth new...
    Who said leather jackets where a bad investment?

15. Downunder G Man

Downunder G Man One Too Many

I like that belted Vanson Carlos , but wear here in Western Australia would be minimal at best. Mostly too hot !

I had (and still have !) a very similar Hein Gericke long jacket , bought at the Birmingham motorcycle show in the mid 80's. A "Belgian motorcycle police" jacket I was told at the time. I have worn it twice here in WA in 25 years ! (Too warm)
    European size 50, it does still fit me , and it is HEAVY indeed.

16. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

As a Belgian i would love to see that! Pics please!

Downunder G Man likes this.
  17. Andrew Putnam

Awesome information. Great Jackets. Great bikes. Sundays forecast is 42 C here. I'll take the Drifter out!

Downunder G Man and dannyk like this.
  18. Andrew Putnam

Well that's her! Cannot wait to inspect in the flesh.

Attached Files:

19. Simple and comfortable...

20180416_182436.jpg 20180416_182833.jpg

20. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

That's nice.
    How do they deal with balooning? is the back also perforated?