Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

any old-school housewives??

retromom712

New in Town
just wondering if there are any "traditional" housewives here?? i stay home with my kids and do all the cooking and cleaning and whatnot...anyone else??

p.s. this is not a thread for or against housewives, just wondering how many people still do it.:)

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I'm not, but ideally I will be when I have kids, at least until they're at school. It's what my mom did and I can't really imagine doing anything else xxx x

~*Red*~

Practically Family
retromom712 said:
just wondering if there are any "traditional" housewives here?? i stay home with my kids and do all the cooking and cleaning and whatnot...anyone else??

p.s. this is not a thread for or against housewives, just wondering how many people still do it.:)

Count me in. I never planned to be one though. In fact I meant to be completely the opposite. Life is funny that way.;)

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
I did it for 8 years.
My youngest will be in fourth next year and my oldest is going to junior high so I work outside the house now.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
When I was married I was. I never saw my husband though, so I never learned the art of cooking. :( If I ever get married again... I hope to be the traditional housewife. :) Well... so long as I can continue being a Burlesque dancer. Hehehehe

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
You can count me in to!:)

Almost 20 years married, 4 kids (oldest in High school, youngest in elementary and twins in the middle school). Cook, clean, chauffer, nursemaid, volunteer work, etc.. etc... It's what I always wanted to do, so I can't complain (much..);)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
retromom712 said:
haha...i never planned it either, but now that i'm here, i like it.:)

My thoughts exactly!:D I'm much better at it than I thought I would be! (pleasantly surprised:eek: )

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
I wish I was!
I work at home and do the cooking and cleaning for my parents. So kind of, but not really. I don't have the perks of having a husband and there are no children.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
I would love to have been, but it never panned out. Single mom.
I think it's great, though, that so many women are beginning to do it. A lot of women look down on it, and I've never understood why. I would have most likely gone to work when my son started school, but until then, I would have stayed home if I could have.

retromom712

New in Town
i applaud you for being a single mom...it's hard enough with a husband, though i felt some of your pain when he was gone to iraq...single parenthood is the toughest job in the world.

People laugh at me when I tell them my aspiration;

To be a 50s housewife.

I'd love to be there for the kids (if there ever are any), I already do the the shopping, cooking & cleaning as I work part time, whilst the boyfriend works full time, and I am so happy to do this.

Should there be any kids at any point I would love to be able to stay at home to look after them like my mum wanted to but never got the chance being a single parent.

I enjoy looking after people & see the 'being a housewife' thing as a valid career choice. I apologise, I'm probably the least feminist female there is!!! lol

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
dollydaydream said:

To be a 50s housewife.

I'd love to be there for the kids (if there ever are any), I already do the the shopping, cooking & cleaning as I work part time, whilst the boyfriend works full time, and I am so happy to do this.

Should there be any kids at any point I would love to be able to stay at home to look after them like my mum wanted to but never got the chance being a single parent.

I enjoy looking after people & see the 'being a housewife' thing as a valid career choice. I apologise, I'm probably the least feminist female there is!!! lol

You just took the words right out of my mouth!
People also look down on me for the same thing, which is sad. I don't understand why people can't just live and let live. I think it's great that women have the choice to get great careers nowadays, but when I have a family, they will be my main priority.
I also think part of the reason why there are so many obese children these days, is down to their mothers not having enough time to cook them proper meals, due to having too many other commitments outwith the family. [huh] maybe I'm wrong though.

Emblaze

Familiar Face
dollydaydream said:

To be a 50s housewife.

Haha, yes, me too! I like the comedy value of the idea of doing the cooking and cleaning in a dress and high heels with a cute little apron, but really I'd prefer to be a housewife because I hate the idea of being reliant on a relentless, inflexible 9-5 job. I have no particular career ambitions and would hate to live for my job and have no time for a family or hobbies. I'm under no delusions that housewives/SAHMs have an easy time of it, but all the same, I don't ever want to be part of the corporate machine.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I am a terrible housekeeper, though I am an excellent cook and baker. However, I don't particularly want kids so I think being at home alone all day would bore me rigid! (But not enough to be cleaning all the time lol)

Foofoogal

Banned
I was home with my children till they flew the nest. Very busy with school activities and sports etc. so I wasn't sitting around eating bonbons. I truly see great rewards because of all the effort. One main reason I did this was a selfish reason really. I always said if they ever got in trouble in teen years I would not have the regrets of potentially questioning, "oh, if I would of only stayed home with them, maybe"
One cannot even imagine how fast time flies. I was so busy being a mom back then I wish I would of slowed down a bit more and just enjoyed it.
It was a privilege to stay at home I don't take lightly and I really feel for those who don't have that option.
There are other threads on th FL along these lines also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points