Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any opinions on hats by Jos. A. Bank?

fromagefedora

New in Town
I've been wearing a cheap, small brimmed hat for a few weeks and have been wanting to go for a bit of a larger brim for a while. I always felt it a bit more classy.

Anyway, I tried this on in store the other day, and they're one of the few places that has an XL that actually fits my big head. Anybody have an opinion on hats from Jos. A. Bank?
http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_298752

It's on sale for $30, I'm still a newbie and the wife won't let me pay much more for it -- and I've already tried thrifting it, just nothing that fits out there. Thoughts?

TallCrownDave

New in Town
Hi there..without making any negative comment about this particular hat, you will never truly be satisfied until you find yourself a good, soft, fur felt hat :)

Dave

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
What is your hat size my friend? When it comes to smaller sizes, you are in luck. You can try making a post in the classifieds, or scrounging E-bay for some vintage Fedoras!

Welcome to the lounge!!

The Inspector

One of the Regulars
Welcome! Now this is in my personal opinion, but you might want to look for something on eBay like a Stetson, Knox, ect that has some beauty in it instead of these mass produced hats that might go out in a few years. But other than that pick the hat that best suits you!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Wool hats are not a long term investment. Do a few searches on this site, but basically they're fine until they get wet. They shrink, they shrink a lot. On the other hand, $30 for a wool hat is a good deal and if you are careful to NOT wear it in the rain it may last a year or hopefully until you can save up enough for a full bunny fur hat. It will also tell you if you want a higher or lower crown that that one, and a wider or thinner brim. Think of it as a $30.00 experiment.

What part of the US do you live in? There is also a thread in hats on the better hat shops we all know about.

Later

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
It's on sale for $30, I'm still a newbie and the wife won't let me pay much more for it

You are probably not going to get a decent hat for $30 (although some members here might have exceptional stories of doing that based on them buying a vintage hat from someone who sold it without first knowing what it was worth - but that requires knowledge on the part of the buyer and a high degree of luck, making it unlikely to happen in your case right now).

If you are only going to spend $30, you might as well buy that hat that you linked to, because that hat and any other hat at that price range will all, to very similar degrees, be junk.

If you want a decent to good hat, you will have to increase your budget in accordance with what they are worth.

ottawa_adam

One of the Regulars
Welcome!

Like others mentioned, there are usually some decent deals, here in the classified section. Ebay is also a good place to peruse.

In fact, yesterday I bought a hat from a fellow lounger for $40, which included shipping!

If you're patient, you'll eventually find the right felt hat for you.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do.

danofarlington

If you like hats, you're going to wind up with at least a few soon anyway. Go ahead and buy the Joseph A. Bank hat if it looks good on you, wear it in good health, and keep your eye out for others.

TheGreyPiper

New in Town
I've just started "wearing" myself, and I think the Scala New Yorker is a very sharp-looking, full brim fedora, C-crown or teardrop. It's rigid, not crushable, but Scala makes crushable as well, as does Stacy Adams (all made the same place, Dorfmann Pacific.) If I can make a commercial recommendation without upsetting the mods, I scoured possibly a dozen different online resources before coming up with Clothesbuy and Shoebuy. Best prices and free shipping, including for returns, which I had to do with one. Links to hat pics:

http://www.shoebuy.com/scala-new-yorker-wf502/258924/551300

Similar: http://www.clothesbuy.com/stacy-adams-saw536/408596/870073

Here's another Stacy Adams which I do have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Another site, Hatcountry, is a bit pricier, but makes a clearer distinction between the crushable hats and the rigid. A lot of these sites it is VERY hard to tell, so if you have a strong preference, be wary. One thing I found confusing is that different sites will use different names for the same style hat, so if possible use the actual catalog # (SAW536) to make comparisons.

What I'm finding is that nobody has everything, and prices will vary significantly, so do lots of research first. Oh also The Fedora Store has a good selection to look at, but they tend to be at the costlier end. Good luck!

Detective_Noir

One of the Regulars
your best bet to find something of good quality is on ebay. trust me modern made fedoras arent the quality you think they are compared to back then. if youre lucky ebay has vintage hats that can be cheap and you will be satisfied with that

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
your best bet to find something of good quality is on ebay. trust me modern made fedoras arent the quality you think they are compared to back then. if youre lucky ebay has vintage hats that can be cheap and you will be satisfied with that

That's much too broad of a generalization. There are several threads discussing this issue that are worth reading. I would humbly submit that hat makers like Optimo and Vintage Silhouettes certainly produce quality products.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Akubra makes a fine production hat. And although a modern Stetson is not comparable to a modern custom or vintage lid, truth be told they're not awful; not in my experience anyway. That having been said, I don't think they're all worth the price Stetson is asking for them, but hey, that's life!

Wool hats are all well and good, but if you really think you're gonna stick with hat wearing, just get a decent fur felt. That wool hat is eventually going to start to break down, and you can't refurbish it the same as a fur felt.

1961MJS

They re many decent modern production hats just don't buy wool I can not stress that enough.

Hiya Teach

I think that he can buy the $30.00 hat and see how he likes wearing a more real hat. If he hates it, he's out $30.00, if he loves it, he can save up $200 plus and get a new Buckaroo hatter, Falcon Park, Tony B, etc fur felt hat. I just think he needs to know that a wool hat is a VERY temporary hat.

I may make more money that some, but I bought a $60.00 (with new ribbon) Sun Body to see if I would look good in a John Wayne Cavalry hat (I didn't). $60.00 experiment so I didn't screw up and buy a $400.00 hat I didn't look good in. I still mow the yard in it though.

Later

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
You hit the nail on the head. Stetsons modern prices are quite high. I liked my modern Stetson but they are not worth the 150 retail and up they ask
Akubra makes a fine production hat. And although a modern Stetson is not comparable to a modern custom or vintage lid, truth be told they're not awful; not in my experience anyway. That having been said, I don't think they're all worth the price Stetson is asking for them, but hey, that's life!
Wool hats are all well and good, but if you really think you're gonna stick with hat wearing, just get a decent fur felt. That wool hat is eventually going to start to break down, and you can't refurbish it the same as a fur felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points