Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any opinions on Schott 571 Mission unlined jackets..

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
Just received an email from Schott with some new unlined spring jackets and the 571 Mission jacket looks really great..

Just wanted to see if anybody in here has one of these or have an opinion.. made of cow hide. Not inexpensive at around $700..

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/mission-mens-leather-jacket.htm
fb3ce06fdb8c398b8f6176a2e946c002.jpg
3533401ef6261225a784190b2bd2d212.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Appars to be a take off the old school "leather riding shirt". Interesting but at the price... :eek:

It would do better in warmer weather than many other Cafe Racers, as I understand it these we meant to be almost skin tight, just a thin T-shirt under it. Probably not something I would wear much off a bike personally. Would have to be pretty thin leather tow work as intended. Neat idea but steep price for what you are getting.

HatAddict94

Familiar Face
Just received an email from Schott with some new unlined spring jackets and the 571 Mission jacket looks really great..

Just wanted to see if anybody in here has one of these or have an opinion.. made of cow hide. Not inexpensive at around $700..

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/mission-mens-leather-jacket.htm
fb3ce06fdb8c398b8f6176a2e946c002.jpg
3533401ef6261225a784190b2bd2d212.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I dig it. Id buy one if i had the funds.

Also, im new here and was wondering how do i start a post lol im looking for a style of jacket/blazer seen in the movie"the aviator"

technovox

One Too Many
Personally, I'm not a big fan of unlined leather jackets. I find the leather tends to be sticky, and it's very inconvenient to pull it on or off. As an example, I own a Schott "Restoration Hardware" collaboration cafe racer jacket that was sold originally unlined from the factory, and I finally ended up having a tailor put a light sateen lining in it.

Never understood the point of an unlined leather jacket...it's significantly hotter & 10x less comfortable. The suede side against your skin...it's just awful. Just like the Restoration HW jacket, these look great on the outside but would wear horribly (imho).

I once foolishly cut the lining out of a vintage beater CR...I thought it would give me more room in the arms but the effect was quite the opposite. Felt twice as tight!

IXL

One Too Many
As a teenager, I had an unlined leather "jeans" jacket, and while it looked the business, it was not very easy to put back on if it had been removed for a while after several hours wear. On a warmish day it would start to feel kind of oogy, too (technical term :) ).I think there is a reason that most all leather garments are lined.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Appars to be a take off the old school "leather riding shirt". Interesting but at the price... :eek:

It would do better in warmer weather than many other Cafe Racers, as I understand it these we meant to be almost skin tight, just a thin T-shirt under it. Probably not something I would wear much off a bike personally. Would have to be pretty thin leather tow work as intended. Neat idea but steep price for what you are getting.
agreed- very pricey for what your getting

Well, you are getting a leather jacket only without a lining which is, what, $10 worth of material. Not overly steep in comparison to the other high-end repro makers. $700 is still okay against the $2250 some makers feel is okay to be asking for basically the same thing. . .

I don't particularly like this jacket but I've no doubts it's quality made. And of course it's just the label you're paying for but hey, that's the life we chose.

Ramonesome

New in Town
I'm actually quite taken with these. They offered a limited edition brown that I'll keep an eye out for on the secondary market. I had one of the Restoration jackets in black, you definitely noticed the lack of a liner when putting it on or taking it off but it wasn't a deal breaker (having too many black cafe racers was). I'd like to see how the jackets look on an actual person.

Edward

Bartender
I'm actually quite taken with these. They offered a limited edition brown that I'll keep an eye out for on the secondary market. I had one of the Restoration jackets in black, you definitely noticed the lack of a liner when putting it on or taking it off but it wasn't a deal breaker (having too many black cafe racers was). I'd like to see how the jackets look on an actual person.

How did you find living with an unlined jacket? I've been wondering whether it make the jacket more wearable in warmer weather, and whether there's a danger of dye-transfer to your shirt in humid conditions...

Ramonesome

New in Town
How did you find living with an unlined jacket? I've been wondering whether it make the jacket more wearable in warmer weather, and whether there's a danger of dye-transfer to your shirt in humid conditions...

I wore the jacket last summer, didn't have any dye issues. It made for a nice t-shirt and jacket pairing during warmer weather. The only difference I felt was in the "grip" of the unlined leather. It took an extra motion or two to sit it comfortably on my shoulders. Had it been an inch longer I probably would have kept it.

Attachments

• RHCR.jpg
    RHCR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5,470

Edward

Bartender
I wore the jacket last summer, didn't have any dye issues. It made for a nice t-shirt and jacket pairing during warmer weather. The only difference I felt was in the "grip" of the unlined leather. It took an extra motion or two to sit it comfortably on my shoulders. Had it been an inch longer I probably would have kept it.

Good to know there were no dye-transfer issues. If one turned up used at the rightg price, I think I could live with it being slightly 'grabby'.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good to know there were no dye-transfer issues. If one turned up used at the rightg price, I think I could live with it being slightly 'grabby'.
I'd advise against it. A friend gave me a CR years ago that he'd cut the lining out of, and the feeling was so unpleasant I don't think I wore it more than twice. Awful.

The dogs bollocks

Familiar Face
agreed- very pricey for what your getting

Schott worry me...I've had loads and never kept them. I think the designs are great , fabric ok but construction and furniture etc very cheap. My last was a Perfecto. All good but the quality of that belt buckle - Tinny crappy thing and the sewing of belt loops etc just lets it down. Vanson at a similar price BLOWS THEM AWAY. It's a shame because I see a lot of styles I like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points