Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Other Conscientious Objectors.....To New Years Eve

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've come to think of NYE as amateur night. For the last decade or so we've been celebrating Eve of the Eve and then keep NYE intimate and local, though well dressed........

Does anyone else subscribe.....

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
My mom. In her household you don't so much as tune in people partying on tv, let alone open a bottle (anyone even mentioning alcohol gets a good old fashioned guilt trip). You turn the lights down, watch whatever she picks (usually a movie), sit quietly and go to bed early.

On New Year's Eve 1954, she was in a rather nasty car accident on the West Side Highway in New York. I can't help but think that's got something to do with her abhorrence of celebrating. But here's the thing: for years, she was just fine with it - or at least pretended to be.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
On New Year's Eve 1954, she was in a rather nasty car accident on the West Side Highway in New York. I can't help but think that's got something to do with her abhorrence of celebrating.
Oh my , she got just about the full brunt of NYE. And here I am cowering from overpriced fare, poor service, drunkards slobbering and general belligerence......:eek:

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Yup, NYE Grinch right here. You bet. Don't do anything different from any other day (case in point - instead of joining in the festivities here I am hanging out in the Lounge at 4:30 a.m.), haven't marked it in any way. I'd rather stay in with my dogs and a good film than brave the freezing cold, earsplitting fireworks, inept public transport and folks stumbling in their own (or someone else's) alcohol reflux.
That having been said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, FOLKS!!!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Not really. I just don't have any friends in this area to get together with, and my wife doesn't like parties. This evening we went to a chain restaurant and had an OK meal with lousy service, then came home.

Now, if I was in England, I know exactly where I'd be... celebrating at a friend's party in Rushden, Northants. Every year his family and friends get the local hall and hold a fancy dress party, different theme each year. One year it was come as a movie character; I went as a USAF computer operator from the movie War Games. Couldn't get any more authentic than my costume as it happened that I was a USAF computer operator! :lol:

Happy New Year!

Tom

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've never celebrated New Year's Eve in my life -- coming from a family of grape-juice Methodists, we never went in for the hoop-tee-do when I was growing up, and since then I've usually worked in jobs that required me to either work that night or be up to work the next day. The closest I ever came to a celebration was New Year's Eve 1999, which I spent painting my kitchen, and ended up dizzy from the fumes.

Dav

One Too Many
I can't say I do anything to celebrate myself, in my town there seems to be a tradition of throwing beer served in plastic glasses all over everyone at midnight. Great if you like that sort of thing, but not for me I'm afraid.

Feraud

Bartender
I've come to think of NYE as amateur night. For the last decade or so we've been celebrating Eve of the Eve and then keep NYE intimate and local, though well dressed........

Does anyone else subscribe.....
Absolutely. Any day comes down to treating an event like a drunken frat party is not my scene.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Not my thing either. I don't like being around people very much, so big crowds at parties will never happen. If anything, I'll sit up with my sons and watch the NY ball drop (9pm here) and shuffle off to bed shortly thereafter.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've never been big on the whole NYE performance pressure thing, but this year was unusually non-eventful, even for me.

I was on my own (it was my ex's turn to have the kids this year), and it was VERY low key. I (re)watched some Twilight Zone and Boardwalk Empire episodes in their respective marathons, (very atypically) had a couple of glasses of Cognac, and went to sleep immediately after toasting the ball-drop.

Foofoogal

Banned
I find this thread sad in a way.

To me it means New Beginnings. I have always marked New Years much more than even our Anniversary as a milestone in our marriage. If we are kissing at Midnight on the 1st. we have made it another year.
35 so far.
We celebrated with 4 other couples and had a very nice time.
-------------------
One should at least bang some pot lids or something.

For me New Years Eve hasn't been a great event or ever really memorable for any reason. These days it's a family potluck dinner at somebodies house as opposed to some drunk time with lots of woo-hoo shouting. In my opinion the TV shows of some crowd someplace screaming with vacuous interviews of mostly vapid people (celebs included) are tedious unless one is really shallow or has the concepts of a ten year old.

HepKitty

One Too Many
This year no, my kids are home and I'm on call for work, so I ended up awake half the night fussing with interfaces. Otherwise I'd have gone to SLC for some swing dancing. Good way to celebrate, among good SOBER people :). The whole drunk party thing doesn't do it for me though I'm not against a nice glass of champagne

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, it's not such a big deal. Most especially The Big Drunk Party thing. Where's the "fun" in getting out of control on a depressant drug anyway??
Maybe I'm boring :rolleyes:,.but at least I'm sane.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I went to a smashing party night before last, New Year's Eve Eve (Dances of Vice), at the Players Club, and had a wonderful time with a couple hundred other vintage lovers all dressed to the nines, in a magnificent 1847 mansion on Gramercy Park in New York. Afterward went with a small gang for a burger and/or piece of pie at historic Pete's Tavern.
Last night, NYE, was spent house cleaning. Scrubbed the bathroom and kitchen floors, vacuumed, and a few other odious but necessary tasks.
Had the TV on with no sound, and the radio tuned to WQXR, our local classical station. They were playing the final strains of Beethoven's 9th.
When the ball dropped my nice old Revere clock chimed the midnight hour right on cue.
I looked out my window and could see the fireworks being set off in Times Square, at about an 8 mile distance.
No champagne, but I did have a little spot of cognac after dinner.
I thought it was a good way to start a new year.

Pompidou

One Too Many
There are over 300 days of the year to sit around and do the same old thing. I always take advantage of chances to do otherwise. You know what they say about all work and no play.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have no problems with New Year's Eve, such as it is, but I do have a problem with the way that most of my peers celebrate it (or celebrate anything for that matter), that is, by getting roaring drunk and such. Nothing against alcohol, but it hardly seems worthy of the attention and place of high importance it is generally given.

Also, why in the world is it in the middle of winter (or the middle of summer for our members in the wrong hemisphere)? It seems like a very random time to have the beginning of the year. Why not April?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
There are over 300 days of the year to sit around and do the same old thing. I always take advantage of chances to do otherwise. You know what they say about all work and no play.

Every day is a special occasion when you make it one. No need to squeeze something fun into one night when you can have it for 365 days. :)

Pompidou

One Too Many
I have no problems with New Year's Eve, such as it is, but I do have a problem with the way that most of my peers celebrate it (or celebrate anything for that matter), that is, by getting roaring drunk and such. Nothing against alcohol, but it hardly seems worthy of the attention and place of high importance it is generally given.

Also, why in the world is it in the middle of winter (or the middle of summer for our members in the wrong hemisphere)? It seems like a very random time to have the beginning of the year. Why not April?

I googled your question and found this on wikipedia:
"According to the Christian tradition, 1 January is the day of the circumcision of Christ (on the eighth day of his birth), when the name of Jesus was given to him (Luke 2: 21). Since then, 1 January has been the first day of the year, except during the Middle Ages when several other days were the first (1 March, 25 March, Easter, 1 September, 25 December)."

Take it as you will. It's worth noting that Christmas as the date of Jesus' birth was totally fabricated for expansion/political purposes, making January 1 even more arbitrary than it already is. I think, if "8 days after Jesus' birth" is taken as fact for the date of the circumcision - and it very well could be for ritualistic reasons I don't know about, then the best day for the new year would be April 25th, because April 17th, 6 BC is commonly reported as the true birth date.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana