Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

any other "unworthy" lurkers?

CopperNY

A-List Customer
so, i tried going full vintage when i first joined FL, but it just didn't work out with my life/work/etc..

i still make every effort (and enjoy) to incorporate vintage items/elements in my daily dress, but i'm constantly blown away by the dedicated folks here that look amazing from day to day.

given that, i frequently feel "unworthy" of making posts in -some- cases, not being hardcore enough, regardless of whether the post may be relevant or not.

anyone else in this boat?

Carnage

One of the Regulars
I feel exactly the same, sadly, it isn't practical for me to always dress in vintage attire so I do, as you do, and try and incorporate vintage items in my day to day wardrobe.

Quite often it's easier for me to get away with wearing a hat, than a whole vintage suit or the like. So yes I do feel a little unworthy because some of the members here resplendent in their vintage look so much better than me...

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
With my job which can get very very dirty I feel it can be impractical to dress full vintage I go for practical with a touch of vintage. Also since my second child I have had a weight gain and many of my vintage clothes don't fit. I have been working on sewing skills but i didn't grow up sewing my mother never sewed or knitted or anything like that. I didn't take up sewing till the age of 30 and i have only made a few dresses and tops and often still need help from more experienced people on what to do in certain patterns. I also don't have lots of free time or money. I also had to change my house a bit to accommodate the second child and my nice vintage living room that was more a show case had to become a more kid friendly space and now is no longer a show case room. So yes I am in the same boat but no I do not feel unworthy!!! I am too old and busy to worry about it.:p

Talbot

One Too Many
Worthy/Unworthy?

If you enjoy vintage stuff then how you choose to express that is your own concern. The lounge is a pretty broad church with room for all.

Don't worry about living up to 'hardcore vintage' types. Many love it, some come and go.

Enjoy yourself.

T

(Steps down from soap box)

Pompidou

One Too Many
Just be yourself. I came here because I bought a hat, not because I want to live in a Leave it to Beaver simulator. The board accepts all types.

Bebop

Practically Family
I can certainly identify with you. I am a big fan of quality. That is something that I find in vintage items and especially hats but there is no way I could pull off looking like Matt Deckard (a good example since most on the board have seen his impeccable sense of vintage style). I have tried it and not only do I feel silly going all out vintage but it is uncomfortable for me. I pick and choose a shirt here, a pair of shoes there, jackets, ties, and of course hats but I can't go all the way. Therefore, I don't feel very qualified to opine on many vintage threads. I do enjoy them and learn a lot but I keep quiet.

Mav

A-List Customer
CopperNY said:
Yep. And then again, nope. I don't do full vintage- can't, my occupation requires a basic middle- aged preppy/ collegiate/ Land's End look- but I've got a lot of respect for the folks here who can pull it off on a regular basis. I don't feel particularly "unworthy" about it- I've gotten great tips from this forum, as well as a reinforcement in the concept of quality. I think lifestyle and attitude is more what this place is about.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
IMHO....There is no such thing as an 'unworthy lurker'...if you are interested in vintage and you find the Fedora Lounge a great place to visit, then you are worthy!

scottyrocks said:
. . . and a longing for whatever particular days fit into your own personal 'good old' category.

Most definetly!
I enjoy all types of vintage...I lean my personal dressing and decorating of my home towards the 50's, but there are modern things too...some days I prefer the 30's and lean to that..other days I just don The Misters' t-shirt and my jeans because it's easy..and playing shop wench in his welding shop is just not worth the effort of sprucing ones-self up...ok, a scarf around the hair, but nothing that won't be missed if I can it greasy or it gets burnt with spark holes!!

I am new here to FL and have only been made to feel welcome! DO I wish I had a complete vintage 50's cottage and wardrobe? SURE!! But I am not going to miss out on the fun just here because it isn't! There is so much info, so much to learn here..so many ideas...have fun with it!!

Foofoogal

Banned
Definitely across the board here. As a collector and dealer it is my wish for the world to know about great vintage and have a true respect for it and preserve it.
Just like in all things knowledge is key. That is why the young ones here are so welcomed (by me anyway) :)
I do love to see the ones dressed up but for me it is the icing on the cake, not the cake.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Right, I can relate CopperNY. I'm not really a vintage person, per se. I don't even own any vintage wardrobe accessory. The closest thing to vintage I currently own are a Fed IV fedora hat and a cotton B-15 bomber jacket. Even so, these are basically reproductions. I am however, trying to build up a somewhat vintage, classically inspired wardrobe. I admire many of the styles of the Golden Age and Atomic Age decades... From about the 1920s, to around the start of 1970, I believe?

Anyway, there are a lot of stylish ladies and gentlemen on this forum, from seeing the pictures. I'm here primarily because of the fedora hats, but I have an appreciation for the classic styles of leather jackets (one of which I will be getting this fall), and suits/sport coats as well. This forum has actually been a pretty big influence on my general overall sense of style, over the past year since browsing it.

Mav said:
Yep. And then again, nope. I don't do full vintage- can't, my occupation requires a basic middle- aged preppy/ collegiate/ Land's End look- but I've got a lot of respect for the folks here who can pull it off on a regular basis. I don't feel particularly "unworthy" about it- I've gotten great tips from this forum, as well as a reinforcement in the concept of quality. I think lifestyle and attitude is more what this place is about.

That just about describes my standard wardrobe, and I own quite a few of Land's End clothing as well. I do this general "look" quite a lot, pretty much almost anywhere. I guess one could say I'm inclined towards a collegiate look, or perhaps "American Trad?"

Katzenjammer

Familiar Face
Yes and no. I've worn vintage or vintage-inspired stuff ever since I was old enough to buy my own clothes, but know very little about brands, the evolution of styles, and how all the bits and pieces are supposed to fit together. I can't contribute a lot to threads about suits or hats, but am there as an interested (if quiet) student. The wealth of information on FL really is remarkable.

There are subjects that I can chime in on, though...booze and comic books, mainly!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
CopperNY said:
It's a full boat.;)

There are currently 15,792 members of the Lounge. I would be shocked if anywhere near 5% were hardcore vintage sartorial aficionados.

Pompidou

One Too Many
In fact, there was a thread not too long ago that revealed just that - that the most hardcore vintagers were indeed a minority, even here. It was a thread asking what label such people should apply to themselves. The two tiers of fanaticism raised no shortage of controversy, but to say the least, it was proven beyond any doubt that not everyone needs to go all the way.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Yes and No - like some others here it is impractical for me to wear the 'typical' vintage outfit (I live alone and do all the cooking, cleaning, etc. and have always gotten myself messy in some way). I'd rather buy some inexpensive clothes that would go well for a 'classic' style. I also wear stuff 'hard/heavy' so it has to be good quality and be able to put up with abuse. I also have to have clothes that don't cost as much as my rent payment!

On the non-clothing level: most of my furniture comes from the mid-late 1930s and my dishes are vintage too.

I certainly cannot be 'hard core' due to my health (I have CFS w/ muscle fatigue) so things that make life easier are a must for me - my life has to revolve around my health condition and NOT the other way around (tried that already).

Like others - I choose not to live in a 'Leave it to Beaver' simulator...ugh (my mind is too outside of the box for that lol ). I just like antiques I guess...[huh] :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points