Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any owners of Aeros midweight horse?

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Dunno about oil-pull being medium. It sure seems to be as heavy/thick as my other Aero FQHH. Maybe a tiny bit thinner, hard to say.

I got samples from all the different hides.

The old oilpull is more like the FQHH then the mediumweight, this is true. It is stiff and flat. But the mediumweight is actually not that thin at all, it is soft tho, but its kinda fluffy on the underside and this makes it actually thicker then the old oilpull, and in some caaes the FQHH aswell, but in a different way. The FQHH feels more compact and is heavier and the mediumhorse feels less compact and is lighter. The old oilpull feels compact and somewhat heavy, but is as said, thinner then FQHH and medium horse.

The newer and darker oilpull is thicker, like the FQHH.

The different samples I have from medium horse (black and white) looks different also. Some have more fluff under and some have less. The old oilpull seems more homogen and more alike all through the hide. But I dont have that much so there is no real conclusion, just observation from the pieces I got.

The old oilpull is priced as the meduim horse.
I dont know about the new oilpull.

Last edited:

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Great info! thanks, Griff! You really broke in that zip HWM quite well. Good job. I saw your old posts and they chronicle your discouragement, then acceptance and finally your love for the jacket. very interesting. I am writing a newspaper article on HH jackets for a local paper here in Portland, OR, USA. may I use some of your pics? You wear the jacket well. I am having fun writing the article as I get ready to order my first custom order jacket from Aero. My first attempt was off the rack. I am looking forward to a custom order this next time that will fit me more precisely. the article will just be a small first one, but if it sells, then I may get around to writing a longer one for a national magazine.

I got samples from all the different hides.

The old oilpull is more like the FQHH then the mediumweight, this is true. It is stiff and flat. But the mediumweight is actually not that thin at all, it is soft tho, but its kinda fluffy on the underside and this makes it actually thicker then the old oilpull, and in some caaes the FQHH aswell, but in a different way. The FQHH feels more compact and is heavier and the mediumhorse feels less compact and is lighter. The old oilpull feels compact and somewhat heavy, but is as said, thinner then FQHH and medium horse.

The newer and darker oilpull is thicker, like the FQHH.

The different samples I have from medium horse (black and white) looks different also. Some have more fluff under and some have less. The old oilpull seems more homogen and more alike all through the hide. But I dont have that much so there is no real conclusion, just observation from the pieces I got.

The old oilpull is priced as the meduim horse.
I dont know about the new oilpull.

Yeah, samples are OK to get a general idea of the hides, but as we all know, there's different batches. I'm convinced the oil-pull HBD I have is just as heavy/thick as my other FQHH's. That's fine, I love it! It's trial and error - I've flipped 6 jackets in as many months. Not a big deal - it's important to love the jacket - if you don't, it won't get worn. I'd rather lose a few bucks, make someone happy, and get a new jacket that's right for me. :)

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I get what your saying. But if they price the old oilpull as the medium horse, then that says something also, together with the samples.

However, I think they might have had some different styles of oilpull through the times.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I am writing a newspaper article on HH jackets for a local paper here in Portland, OR, USA. may I use some of your pics?

You may use the pictures, but I really don't want you to use any info about the first problem jacket and stuff that is said in that thread.
Its personal, biased, and should really only be read in its entire context, together with the conclusion.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Just pics, absolutely NOTHING about your personal choices or anything to do with you, other than a photo or two. The article would be focused on how beautiful, resilient, strong, and prone to antiquing HH is, and also the debate between animal rights folks and companies that are still trying to use the fine leather we know as horse hide. These days, we don't even see pony hide any longer. Maybe a passing mention of kararoo hide and other exotic hides, such as alligator.

Anyhow, I would just use one or two of your photos without your face. That one with your daughter is adorable, but you probably wouldn't want that used. If so, let me know if that would be okay. No names, of course. Totally anonymous. I will use one or two of me wearing that 1930's, and then maybe look for another few photos that are interesting for readers here.

I will be marketing this to the Portland Mercury or the Willamette Week, two local free presses here in town. If the article gets published, I will post a link of it here on Fedora. And, of course, I would send you a clipping of the article if you would like, if I end up using a few of your pics.

Last edited:

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Ok, thanks Griff.

So you are saying that your zip-sleeved highwayman is the old oil-pull medium weight? I got lost in the thread. It must be a medium weight or it wouldn't be in this thread.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Hehe no.

My Zipsleeved Highwayman is standard brown FrontQuarter HorseHide.

I dont own any midweight horse jackets.

The reason it came up in this thread i believe is that someone commented on it and asked a question.

The midweight horse is as you can see in the picture of the black 3/4 jacket in this thread - softer and less shiny. And it also has (imho) less character. (the jacket looks marvelous tho, so dont get me wrong)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner