Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any predictions on Hussain trial?

Bebop

Practically Family
My prediction on what will happen with Saddam Hussain is that he will not be convicted, will run for leader of Iraq, will win and we will be right where we started. Kind of a Marion Barry type of thing. I can tell by how the trial is going that there will be no evidence that will hold up in the Iraq's court. Every witness seems to claim that someone told them, or that they think Hussain told someone to do evil deeds. No one seems to have witnessed him doing anything. Just wondering if anyone has other predictions on this trial that should have already been over long ago.

Steve

Practically Family
This isn't so much a prediction as an ovbservation. If Saddam wants a trial free of US "partiality," let's let him take a stroll through downtown Baghdad and see what "his people" want.

Well, if he makes it to the end of the trial (i see assassination) he'll probably go free - as someone said, there appears to be little first hand evidence. Where's the high ranking official saying: "Saddam made me do this, that and the next thing. And here's a film of him saying it". Clearly he is responsible, but is there enough evidence that will stand up in court? It all depends upon the impartiality of the court. Looks pretty partial so far.

I think the Pinochet thing is a good yardstick. He's managed to fake illness his way out of every trial he's been threatened with yet. Maybe Saddam will feign senility.

Anyhoo, when he goes free, i see shades of a Mussolini end.

bk

It is an interesting topic. We have to understand that around the globe the attitudes, wants and desires of any given population can be so "foreign" to what our outlook is that we are invariably surprised. I could not say what the outcome will be, but rarely does the debt go unpaid, so maybe not in this world but I feel firmly in the next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21