Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Problem with Hand Washing Filson Mackinaw Wool?

Kane

One of the Regulars
Hello,
I have a Filson Western vest made from their Mackinaw wool. The tag on the garment says to dry clean only, but what can the harm be in hand washing this like other wool garmets? Has anyone had experience with this? It’s a lovely vest and I would hate to do any harm to it, but I wear it a lot and taking it to a dry cleaner seems like a hassle.
Thank you

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I don't own any Filson (I'm a patient person who tends to wait for a steal), but I've water washed Pendleton, Hirsch-Weis/White Stag, LL Bean, Woolrich, Skyline, Black Bear, and Chippewa wools (just to name a few). Both cruiser and double-mackinaw jackets included, and they're far more complicated garments than a vest. I used to do it in a tub, but now I have access to a frontloader machine with a hand cycle option. Here's my process:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...e-for-buying-used-vintage.96246/#post-2509017

Kane

One of the Regulars
Thank you very much, Ernest. That’s good to hear. That’s a great informative post (takes me back to the Germophobe thread!). Man, I’ve learned so much from this place.
Thanks

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kane,
I have several Filson wool Mackinaw vests that I wear to work during the winter time. Last year I noticed that one of them was looking a little grungy and so I hand washed it in the bathtub with Woolite. I was careful to use cool water so as to avoid shrinkage and I have not noticed any negative effects. The wool felt a little different after it dried and then it had before the wash, A bit softer perhaps.
My only caution would be to say definitely use cool water and pay attention to how you hang the vest to dry so that it doesn’t lose its shape while waterlogged.

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I'm not a fan of the chemicals used by most Dry Cleaners, there are many different techniques to wash wool, even in a machine that should do the trick. Keep in mind, Vinegar works well in removing stains and odors.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Kane,
My only caution would be to say definitely use cool water and pay attention to how you hang the vest to dry so that it doesn’t lose its shape while waterlogged.
After washing a delicate item in water, one should really never hang dry. If not using a washing machine with a slow spin cycle (one of the nice aspects of a front loader with "hand wash" or "delicate" options), allow the tub to drain. The tub is at a slight angle, so simply allow the garment to sit in the tub and drain, or if time doesn't allow, gently roll the garment and gently hand press it to get a lot of the water out. Then place a thick towel in the tub and roll the garment with the towel, as if you were making cinnamon rolls. Again, gently press on the towel and let it wick away more of the water. I've had to use a couple towels to do this with thicker, heavier garments. After removing most of the water, by whichever method available to you, then let it lay flat and dry that way. They actually sell drying racks for this.
FoldingSweaterDryer10060507_2_x.jpg

I'm not a fan of the chemicals used by most Dry Cleaners, there are many different techniques to wash wool, even in a machine that should do the trick. Keep in mind, Vinegar works well in removing stains and odors.
Yes, I purchased a 100% wool mackinaw (not Filson) on Ebay that had a terrible odour. It made no sense cost wise to send back so I got a discount. The odour was so bad as to be unwearable plus they used Febreeze on top of the odour. Hung in my unheated garage and sprayed liberally with a 50/50 mixture of cleaning vinegar and water. Let it dry and repeated. The jacket had a vinegar aroma for a few days but it gassed off and no odour remained. I can fully recommend using vinegar spray on wool to remove odours.

Vinegar also helps to retain color, especially red dyes (or so it is said). I sometimes add white vinegar to the wash cycle for this reason.
I ended up giving the coat to my wife as it was a touch small for me. Everytime she wore it before the vinegar smell evaporated I would get incredible cravings for fish and chips. I was hungry around her all the time. She did enjoy the extra attention though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk