Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any reputable persons who can modify a leather jacket in London UK?

Lit Up

One of the Regulars
I'm finding a certain leather jacket maker (I will not name them at this point) increasingly inconsistent in what they purport to offer and what I'm actually allowed to order. For example, all over their instagram are people wearing a specific jacket model without epaulettes... however I've been told that I cannot order one without because this would compromise an integral part of the jacket's design! There's a massive discrepancy between what the boss decrees, and what the staff are told, what shows up on the internet... etc.

So I'm thinking of buying a jacket and then getting it altered to remove a belt that is stitched in, and epaulettes that I do not want.

Is this a possibility in London, UK? Or maybe further afield? Would Aero for example attempt an alteration of a jacket they didn't make?

galopede

One of the Regulars
No idea about London but I had an Aero jacket altered by Goldstitch in Worcester and was very happy with the result and the price. I'd bought a second hand (as new) Highwayman that must have been made for someone with shoulders like tallboys and wanted it taken in. He measured me up and did a grand job.

http://www.mygoldstitch.co.uk

Nothing concerning shoulder stitching is a simple alteration. You'd be safer just cutting the belt and the epaulettes off.

But I can't imagine just deleting either would compromise any aspect of the jacket at all. Aero makes motorcycle jackets without 'em all the time. If it's a bespoke jacket, insist they do it. There's absolutely no reason why they shouldn't. People commonly delete both.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hmm... the fit you can get from quite a few makers, the leather might be a bit more tricky. Difficult to go any further without having more details, so I will refrain from asking anything more.

This approach from a general perspective seems a bit too risky.

Edward

Bartender
Nothing concerning shoulder stitching is a simple alteration. You'd be safer just cutting the belt and the epaulettes off.

Wasn't it Schott who did a production model just like that, done to mimic an original jacket somebody had just taken shears to the epaulettes and the belt on?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'm finding a certain leather jacket maker (I will not name them at this point) increasingly inconsistent in what they purport to offer and what I'm actually allowed to order. For example, all over their instagram are people wearing a specific jacket model without epaulettes... however I've been told that I cannot order one without because this would compromise an integral part of the jacket's design!
Your opening sentence says it all, you have little faith in this company, and you are right not to. Suggesting that epaulettes are an integral part of the jacket implies that without them the garment's integrity is somehow corrupted. You know that is untrue, that's why you are asking for opinions. Before you buy, alter or part with your cash, get yourself along to Brick Lane on Sunday. It's part of the famous Petticoat Lane Sunday Market. You will be amazed at the prices, styles and quality. https://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/10/13/the-leather-shops-of-brick-lane/

Wasn't it Schott who did a production model just like that, done to mimic an original jacket somebody had just taken shears to the epaulettes and the belt on?

It was Fine Creek. They claim that "The way the edges of the cut off horsehide age with time is truly beautiful".

Though it could've been Schott, too. I mean, it's not a terribly original thing to do. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana