Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any tips on Ginger Rogers Hair?

Kathleen'sMeg43

New in Town
Hi!

So I've recently fallen in love with the 1930's style of Ginger Rogers. I'd love to be able to replicate some of her hairdos, but I'm having trouble.

This is my hair, un styled in any way.

photo_zps2a9dabb6.jpg

And this is what I'd like to achieve. I really don't want to cut my hair too short, so how little cutting would I be able to get away with and still be able to do something like this.

66780006946137261_tKHHYQV7_c_zps72c73632.jpg

Also, styling, any tips on how to achieve this look? I do own a set of wave clips, and pin curl on a regular basis, but after that, I'm not sure what I'm doing. I can't seem to get it quite right.

Thanks in advance!
Meggie.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
How much shorter does your hair get when you wet set pin curl it? That will help you determine how much might need to be cut. Also I think maybe 2 or 3 inches max would need to be cut, but layers are always good.

Fräulein U.

Familiar Face
What's your set like? That picture looks like she had standing pin curls done in the top/front area for extra height, probably three rows in alternating directions to get that wave on top of her head in front of the head band. I also recommend brushing your curls more for that 30s fluff/frizz in the ends. If you follow that you'll get much closer to the desired look without needing to cut anything at all. To get the exact same style you'll probably have to cut two or three inches like Grant Fan said.

Kathleen'sMeg43

New in Town
I just made a deep side part and did flat curls in layers.

So I could probably stand to do something different. I also didn't brush it out at all... :/ I just sort of pulled the curls apart some. So next time I'll do more fluffing and brushing, see if I can do that any better.

Now what about the top and the waves? Besides having more lift and body have I done that right? I'm still getting used to my wave clips. And I have a different face shape than she does so I can't pull it straight back like she has it.

Fräulein U.

Familiar Face
Now what about the top and the waves? Besides having more lift and body have I done that right? I'm still getting used to my wave clips. And I have a different face shape than she does so I can't pull it straight back like she has it.

It's not even pulled straight back, she has quite a a bit of lift on top. I'd try it if I was you, the lift can make all the difference.

Check out this blog post, third page, "patterns for styling tops". They do a deep sideways wave with fluff (pic 18 and 19). You'd want a backwards wave without fluff, i.e. do three rows of standing curls alternating backwards, forwards, backwards from front to top. (Waves are alternating rows, fluff is several rows facing the same direction).

To really set that wave clip it the way you like it after the brush out, hairspray a little, let dry and remove clips.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
KM43

I think the set is beautiful. You did a great job. It's not easy pin curling long hair. You look great and I love the color of your hair. I've always wanted to be a red-head. :D

Kathleen'sMeg43

New in Town
Oh! That makes my day! Thank you!

My hair is dyed, and I just got the courage to go red this year. I've always ached for red hair, and I've had so many people tell me they can't even see the red. So I'm glad you like it!

(ps. You can call me Meg if you like. Kathleen is my "greatest Generation" grandmother. )

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Wow you'd hair curls beautifully. I think if you cut it an inch or two you would get exactly what you are looking for.

Kathleen'sMeg43

New in Town
Well here is My latest set. I think I'm getting closer.

I think it looks more like this style than the one above.

I have a fear of brushing these curls out, because if I mess up there's no going back. So does anyone have any tips or tutorials on brushing these out so they look like the above?

Thanks!
Meg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112