Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Tips on safari outfit?

erik7181

New in Town
Im looking to put togther a Vintage safari outfit. Im just not sure where to find the cloths. I Plan to do a vintage hunting trip in august.

Last edited:
Where are you going on this vintage hunting trip?Africa?What are you hunting?Get yourself a pair of Russell safari boot`s,wear a jungle hat period Vietnam era,maybe a good bush jacket all cotton,Filson makes some good hot weather pants,carry a good blade vintage Puma "White Hunter "are you using a double rifle or bolt action?Bring a pair of vintage Zeiss Dialyt bino`s.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Vietnam jungle hat? On a vintage safari? No, no, no! A pith helmet from Tag Safari or a broad-brimmed felt hat from Akubra, that's the headgear for a vintage safari. I speak as one who has done it. And if you want those boots for August from Russell, you'd better order them right now. A pair ordered today won't arrive until July but believe me, they're worth the wait. And you can get the rest of your clothing from Tag, as well, cheaper than Orvis and made in Africa, though I admit to having five safaris in my Cabela's clothing.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I didn't because I treated it as a bit of a joke from the get-go. However, I didn't actually hunt in it. They're too noisy. When you're in the bush, an Akubra Wentworth is the better choice and if you can score one, get a zebra hat band. Giraffe would be grand, as well, but much harder to find. Leopard is the sine quo non, of course.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I didn't because I treated it as a bit of a joke from the get-go. However, I didn't actually hunt in it. They're too noisy. When you're in the bush, an Akubra Wentworth is the better choice and if you can score one, get a zebra hat band. Giraffe would be grand, as well, but much harder to find. Leopard is the sine quo non, of course.

Hi

I haven't actually been to Africa, but when Old Sarge says a Zebra hat band, I'm pretty sure he means a REAL one, preferably one that you shot. According to several Safari writers, the fake Leopard one is especially frowned upon. Sarge can you comment further??

Most of the Akubra hats would be good for Safari, I think that the Territory would be good, but the brim is pretty large.

Just my $0.02 and worth every cent...

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Actually, I got the band a couple of safaris before I shot a zebra. Where I hunted the first couple of times there weren't any zebra or I'd have gotten one first out. However, I did finally make up for my faux pas and that rug now adorns the slate floor in my guest room. BTW, many safari hunters take one look at the carcass of a zebra with it's chrome yellow fat and say, "Uh, give it to the staff." That's a serious mistake. While eland is doubtless the best meat of four legs, zebra is right up there. It's absolutely delicious and even if you're on a photo safari, stop off at The Carnivore and have some. You'll be amazed.

mustangman3000

One of the Regulars
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366241504.309583.jpg
Going on safari would be a dream for me, but at this point in life it is a very distant dream. But that hasn't stopped me from collecting a couple of safari hats!

The one on the left is a custom hat by Black Sheep Hat works and on the right is an Akubra Territory with a puggaree that I got off eBay.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
And the fine double rifle in front? I presume it's a muzzle-loader since there is no top lever or hinge. What caliber? You are aware that safaris in RSA can be had for remarkably little money and flying from New Orleans is cheaper than from the Left Coast and that there are operators who specialize in catering to BP Bwanas . . . ?

mustangman3000

One of the Regulars
The "fine" double rifle as you call it is indeed a muzzleloader, its a .50 Pedersoli Kodiak. I recently found it at a local gun shop in almost new condition. They had it priced at $580.00, I got it for $500.00. Now I just need a howdah pistol to go with it!

And to answer your other question, I haven't priced anything. I only became interested in hunting over the last year, so before I even think about going to Africa, I need to get some experience under my belt.

Plus I don't know anyone who I think would be interested in going with me.
Africa doesn't seem like place you should experience by yourself for the first time.

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
A .50 Kodiak? Perfect! I'd probably draw the line just below giraffe (they're amazingly huge!) and wouldn't have the cojones to try a lion with one but the vast majority of your plains game including leopard (a very expensive hunt!) could be taken. And while a whole bunch of people have gone to Africa alone, I agree with you. Having someone along that you know on safari improves the experience and if it's another hunter, it's always good to have another gun behind you if things go south. And Louisiana should be a grand place to get some hunting under your belt. You've got long deer seasons with generous bag limits, feral hog and I don't know whatall else. Check around for a hunting club. The South is famous for them.

BTW, good bargaining on the Pedesoli. $500 is a good price.

darthinvictus

New in Town
Hello,
I am awfully late to this thread, and I rarely post on this forum. Mostly I just live vicariously through the members posts. But the reason I am posting is because I have a supply of giraffe hide and made a hat band as suggested earlier. I was wondering what a fair price might be as I plan to sell them in my etsy shop. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
- George

Story

I'll Lock Up
Hello,
I am awfully late to this thread, and I rarely post on this forum. Mostly I just live vicariously through the members posts. But the reason I am posting is because I have a supply of giraffe hide and made a hat band as suggested earlier. I was wondering what a fair price might be as I plan to sell them in my etsy shop. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
- George

You might do better to post your question in this thread
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Chamberlain-s-quot-Allan-Quatermain-quot-hat

Shoot me a PM when you're ready to make a Beta model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm