Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any writers?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm ready to go. Got my plot all ironed out. Just need to type up my character notes (when I plan a novel, my notes are all over the place. Need to work on that!).

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Well, I'm nowhere near 50,000 words for CampNaNo, but I'm still writing on the novel, and that was the whole point, so I suppose you could say the motivation factor worked.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Summer always presents a challenge for me with writing. I have the opposite of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and get depressed during the summer. Still, trying to plug away on the novel.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
^Bump.^

Writing is going well here - well, as well as can be expected when you procrastinate far too much.

Three projects in the works right now.

1) Novel - done with the rough draft and am editing.
2) Book contract! I'm writing a book on the POW camps in Nebraska during WW2. In the research phase.
3) Next article for "America in WWII" magazine - research phase.

How about you?

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
This is a cool thread, really enjoyed skimming through it and experiencing other writers' pain and agony at rejection. Misery loves company! heheh

I have a self-published novel on Amazon and Lulu. Funnily enough it is also a WWII novel, although more accurately post-WWII. Set in LA and Mexico. Yeah, its a hard-boiled noir style piece - oh dear, not another one haha. I had no idea novels set in that time frame were considered no-no's when it came to getting published. Ah well, I wrote it just to see if I could. Its not that long. Barely a novel. About 160 pages. But I was proud to finish it. You can search it on Amazon, its called Malone and the author is Mark Crozier.

The next one is a work in progress, I have about 30,000 words in, and its a slow process. Agonising is probably a more accurate term. heheh. It is more ambitious in scope than the first. Still labouring on it. I am hoping 35,000 words will be sort of a halfway mark. Really at this time I just want to finish it. My main motivation to having something published is that will give me a great kick to go into a bookstore and buy a copy of my own book, and go home and read it. I don't expect to ever make a dime from fiction writing. I am very skeptical about the publishing world, even more so now that I have read this thread heheh.

I really just want to finish the thing because I hate leaving things unfinished. And then read it right through. I get a kick out of reading my own work. Narcissist! heheh

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Yay! Another writer! That's very cool about your post-WW2 noir book. I love those. There's such a great sense of place and mystery about them.

I'm agonizing over my writing today, too. Like pulling teeth, to use a very tired cliche. But this writing gig ain't for sissies. ;)

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate it. This is a link to my book in case you are interested: http://www.amazon.com/MALONE-ebook/...370878150&sr=1-1&keywords=malone+mark+crozier

I dont know why it is listed at $10. I tried to drop the price but for some reason Amazon put it back up to that amount. Its also available on Lulu.com at a cheaper price and I far prefer their service to Amazon's. http://www.lulu.com/shop/mark-crozier/malone/ebook/product-20847620.html

I agree that writing is not for sissies! Its a brutal process. I admire your persistence. As someone wise once said: there is no substitute for persistence. I sincerely hope you crack the nod one day.

Yay! Another writer! That's very cool about your post-WW2 noir book. I love those. There's such a great sense of place and mystery about them.

I'm agonizing over my writing today, too. Like pulling teeth, to use a very tired cliche. But this writing gig ain't for sissies. ;)

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I never know whether I should call myself an aspiring writer or a writer. I have some textbook-y research publications under my belt and I've also written sort of fan-fic in the past. I'm also been writing a novel set in the early 17th century for a couple of years now (who doesn't love musketeers?) and that one is almost ready.

However, I have recently also taken part in an upcoming anthology of sci-fi novelettes and novellas. Not sure if anyone on this forum shares my love for the genre, but if you do, our publisher is currently running a fundraising to be able to publish the anthology and three other sci-fi novels as audio books. I'd really appreciate support for the cause, not only for myself, but for all those who have trouble reading (Dyslexia etc.) and who might still enjoy good sci-fi. For just £1 you get an ebook copy of already published short story anthology, Fusion, and for £5 you get that AND can choose to get the anthology where my story is included as well - making it a total of 40 stories in total.

After this anthology is out of the door, I'll return to the 17th century to finish my novel and start the next one. :)

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
I wish all of you the best of luck with your writing and hope to have the chance to read all of your stories,,I however have just began talking myself into writing a book about my journey so far but never find the time in that journey to write about it,,LOL! maybe one day I will make the time if that is at all possible but for now I really just enjoy reading everyone else's stories, they are much more fascinating being I am a people person..

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Thank you. I have three books in progress. One is non-fiction self-help, another my memoirs, and the third is a novel. I hope to finish them before I pass away*. Maybe then I can at least be dead and famous. :eusa_doh:;)

*NOT PLANNING ON THAT ANYTIME SOON!**
**I just mean I hope I can get my act together sooner than later!

Interesting. I ditched the novel because it was not good. The memoirs are still "one day." I self-published the self-help.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I may finally be living out my dream of being a published author. As yet, it's a voluntary position (the company I'm working for is very new. Not even a year old), but it's a magazine publishing firm churning out magazines on various topics (Theatre, films, books, computer-games, fashion, farming, kids, etc).

After making a very favourable impression on the staff there, I was offered the position as Editor of their HISTORY magazine. A publication that does not exist. I have accepted. And it is my job to MAKE this thing exist!

This is the photograph that I have produced to serve as the cover-image for the first edition:

Last edited:

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I wrote many short stories as a kid, a couple of which won state-level high school writing competitions. As an adult I've worked as a copywriter on various advertising campaigns, written how-to articles for major trade magazines, and used to regularly write band and record reviews for a local entertainment paper.

I also write screenplays for my own film productions, and would love to write a novel at some point. So I guess you could say I'm a professional writer. I've never earned a living at it, but have been paid for it on occasion.

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
I wrote a book on transportation history it is called " Fifth Avenue Coach Company 1885-1960" published by Iconografix. Also had a several articles publishished on hatters tools. I have one I finished on the Hatters of Danbury Conn. that I cant sell noone was intrested. I am working on a book on Hatter's tools and there uses. on a grant.

Lee Hutch

New in Town
I write. You can see my blog link below, but I also write fiction. My current project is set in 2008, which is hardly vintage. When I finish, I am torn between a Civil War novel (which I have already plotted) and one set during World War 2 (which I have a vague notion of what it will be about). I'm not sure which direction I will go.

Tux Toledo

One of the Regulars
Good luck! What a great opportunity. Let us know how it goes.

I may finally be living out my dream of being a published author. As yet, it's a voluntary position (the company I'm working for is very new. Not even a year old), but it's a magazine publishing firm churning out magazines on various topics (Theatre, films, books, computer-games, fashion, farming, kids, etc).

After making a very favourable impression on the staff there, I was offered the position as Editor of their HISTORY magazine. A publication that does not exist. I have accepted. And it is my job to MAKE this thing exist!

This is the photograph that I have produced to serve as the cover-image for the first edition:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks!

The first edition is basically complete. I sent it off to be proofread. And then once I've finished sorting out all the pictures, I will send it off to the Chief of Staff to have it run through the production-team in preparation for publication. I HOPE to get it done by the end of the month!

In other, writing-related news, I have a cousin who runs a vintage-themed restaurant. It's called "1919". It's a venture he set up with some friends of his.

His restaurant's even appeared on TripAdvisor!

I had the fortune last month to visit his restaurant with him, and he was bemoaning the fact that the 'bio' of the restaurant (which is written inside the menu as a titbit for customers)...really sucks.

He asked me to write a better one. So I'm doing that now as a favour to him. I took a photocopy of the original blurb and I'm currently writing up a better one.

Why is the restaurant called "1919"? I have no idea. I asked my cousin and HE has no idea. Apparently his friend thought it up! But my cousin and his friends did have a lot of fun decorating the restaurant with antiques. Old trunks, a grandfather clock, radio, and such.

My uncle and aunt used to have a grandfather clock in his living-room. When it broke down, my aunt threw it out. When my cousin found out, he was devastated, because he wanted to put it into his restaurant!

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Well! The first edition of my magazine is off to the publisher. Hopefully it'll be out fairly soon without any problems!

This is me being mentioned in The Australia Times (the publishing-company's) weekly newsletter:

After months of preparation, The Australia Times is about to launch its inaugural TAT History magazine! Congratulations will soon be in order to editor and history buff Shahan. The History magazine is in production and will be live shortly.

Yaaaay!!

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The first edition of my magazine is done!!

I've been told to expect it live and online within 48 hours. So sometime soon, I'll have a link here, for you all to see it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko