Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody here used Cabela's hats?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

For that price, those would be Wool hats. There is a thread on why you don't want to buy wool hats.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?52165-The-under-appreciated-wool-felt-hat

If you know your hat size, and the style you want, I'd consider a Stetson from the Outlet Store in either Garland TX or Saint Joseph MO. Fur felt hats can take getting stepped on, rained on, and other things without being ruined. My wool hat took a few inches of rain one afternoon and it's trash now. It shrunk a whole lot. I grew up in Montgomery County Illinois and know how hot it gets, how much it rains, and that sort of thing. An Akubra would also be a good investment. If you want Summer wear, a Sunbody fedora is also a good investment, dunk them once a month and they'll be fine for years.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35187-THE-SUNBODY-ASSOCIATION

PERSONALLY, I"m not in law enforcement, BUT I'm an outdoors type and have been wearing fur felt for say 5 years. I haven't had a fur felt hat get too damaged to wear yet and they don't shrink like wool does.

Just my $0.02

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I've had this camo one for years. Its warm, sturdy and I don't mind getting a little hog juice on it.

hogday059.jpg

AF

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I don't have one of the Cabelas hats, but I did have a Bailey made of the same "Lite-Felt" for years. It stood up alright, but did eventually shrink to the point where it was unwearable. I would recommend that you go with a sturdy fur felt. Akubras are pretty good, and famously reliable, although I doubt you could go wrong with a Stetson or such either.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Many years ago I had one of their wool felt ones like that. Ok for the money, but once it got rained on a couple of times it was completely out of shape and shrunk. I also still have a blaze orange one like Atticus' camo one and since it's never gotten wet it still works.

I had one of their fur felt Three Forks hats and it was a nice hat for the money. But its not much of a jump from the Three Forks to a Akubra.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Thanks folks, I know the fur is a far better hat, but this job will often see the hat ruined/wrecked before wearing out. I always spray them with Scotch Guard to keep it rain resistant, how will that affect a fur felt hat?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I've worn many of the wool hats for hunting, hiking etc. over the years and the big problem I've had is that after a couple of good soaks in the rain even with scotch guarding them, they shrink and become worthless. However, if you are not in an area that gets much rain they can hold up for years. As I mentioned earlier I've had a blaze orange wool one here in Hawaii for the past 7-8 years and its worked get because my hunting areas here are really dry.

I would not scotch guard a fur hat, they should hold up, but will need to be re-shaped if they get soaked alot. but you can do hand shaping on a fur felt yourself, in particular an outdoor beater hat. Having a hat stretcher (if you don't have one) would be helpful.

Last edited:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks folks, I know the fur is a far better hat, but this job will often see the hat ruined/wrecked before wearing out. I always spray them with Scotch Guard to keep it rain resistant, how will that affect a fur felt hat?

There are quite a few threads on this topic. Here are a couple,

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?33891

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35627-What-about-Scotch-Guard

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?5831

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Without divulging Parole Officer techniques, what's going to happen to a hat to ruin it? Bunny fur felt hats are pretty durable, you can set on one, and reform it pretty fast. It's probably even faster with a Beaver fur hat. Cutting it would be bad, but then your HEAD is in the hat too... I'd say you're much more likely to LOSE the hat than to destroy it chasing after some 19 year old through the woods and all.

You're in Southern Illinois, it rains there, often, and a lot (except in August). I KNOW FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE THATrain shrinks wool hats, you'll be wearing it in the rain cause I bet Parole officers work most days even in the rain.

Later

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Z, thanks for the links. I work a high risk unit and often make apprehensions right on the spot. Sometimes folks and their families are not very happy. Makes for a long day.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
An update on this thread. I went ahead and ordered one, for $35 I figured I couldn't go too wrong. It arrived a couple of days ago [very speedy shipping] looked it over. A nice hat for the money, good color and fit well. However, it just looked, well, meh as the kids say. When my wife got home she looked at it and made the fateful statement "Well, if you like it...." It is on it's way back to Cabela's now and they were totally nice about it.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Years and years ago, Cabela's sold what they called their "Archer's hat". I haven't seen it for sale in years but I suspect it was by Stetson. It's thin ribboned and edgebound and I've worn it all over North America. The sweat band is dying and I need it replaced (who does that sort of thing, anyway?) but the hat is still good for another hundred thousand miles, even without an oil change. I wish Cabela's would bring it back. That was one damned useful hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points