Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody know “Akta Getskinn”?

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Saw three Akta goatskin coats today, from the 50s, super nice russet, thick, the type that GB & GW uses. Nice sheen & crisp hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
That’s swedish for ”genuine goat skin”. It’s not a brand name, at least not to my knowledge. Do you have pictures of labels?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Last edited:

regius

Didn't get a chance to photograph the label nor the jacket, the sales people are always watching. But, I get it, what I was looking at was the leather supplier's label, the three jackets are indeed from different brands, I couldn't make out the brand names, but the pattern are similar, long, reefer style jackets with domed leather buttons and a removable belt, elephant ear side entry pockets, the collars are pointy, the shoulders a padded, very much uniform-like. I had access to some 300 German coats from late 40s to 60s so I thought they are German (maybe). I don't know what happened to the goatskin supply these days. Aero Leather used to offer this type of stiff, thick goat, just a couple of years ago (2013?), now they only have the drapey, thin type. I had a Eastern German trench coat in green goatskin, it was a beast, must had been a large animal as the panels are large. I do have access to a tannery here in NY, they still tan goat in that way, but the hides are smaller. I have a few rolls here, I plan to buy more skins.

bond

Here’s a vintage goat skin of maker you mentioned. Bought this on Ebay uk .
IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0135.JPG
IMG_0137.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Two labels on that jacket:
1. Bottom one says “guaranteed genuine goat skin” in Swedish.
2. Top label says Malmén & CO Malung. Malmén & CO is the makers company name, Malung is the place in Sweden where it was made. Malung was the center of Swedish leather industry back when we had a much bigger leather industry. Lots of companies had production in Malung up until 60/70’s. I have two jackets at home that were made there, can post up labels when I’m back home.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

regius

These Swedish coats are amazing, well built & the goat is large and strong, the lining is high quality & beautiful. I just received one today from the UK, albeit the ebayer sent the wrong jacket, it’s still of the same design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points