Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody read this one?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up

Just stumbled over this novel based on the historical facts of Battle of Britain.
All the characters - on both sides - are fictional. It gets good reviews and many stars on Amazon - but I just want to hear from you guys before i push the button.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I don't know why anyone would bother reading something like that when there are plenty of accounts written at the time, or written later by people who were there and lived through it.

Nearly all such books suffer because the writer sees things through modern eyes and does not understand the reality of the times.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I don't know why anyone would bother reading something like that when there are plenty of accounts written at the time, or written later by people who were there and lived through it.

Nearly all such books suffer because the writer sees things through modern eyes and does not understand the reality of the times.

All I have to say is, Bruce Catton, Shelby Foote, and, of course, Stephen Crane, the quintessential master peace, by a man that was not their!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up

Same reason as some watch movies now and again instead of documentaries, mate!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
...and if I might add:
I believe I've 'bout 15 books on my shelf about the Battle of Britain - covering all the months.
Besides that I recon 'bout 10 - 12 books on different Squadrons during BoB.
And finally 'bout 15 books covering individual personal stories from single pilots - both RAF and Luftwaffe.
Is it OK if I take a breather now and again - and just read "Piece of Cake" or this one...?
Which - by the way - is bloody well written. (But - as promised - I'll get back to that in good time)

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I hope you get a bang out of whatever you read. Why shouldn't tastes differ? As for me, I find most historical novels insipid and boring compared to the real thing. With the exception of George MacDonald Fraser.

If you want to call me a hypocrite, right now I am rereading the crime novels of Raymond Chandler and I defy any modern author to beat his depiction of Los Angeles in the 30s 40s and 50s.

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Halfway through and I can only say: I am amused. It's a very good read. It sticks to the historic facts and you follow different persons - on both sides - from Battle of France and all the way through Battle of Britain. The author even mixes historical persons with fictional.

And although the Few was fighting hard for survival we also get a very good picture of the mishandling of the Luftwaffe pilots and how exhausting it must have been to fly 4-5 missions a day. With orders to stick close to the bombers. Day in and day out. With no rotation. You just kept on flying until you were either shot down and maybe taken prisoner - or killed.

Besides being very good in describing the exhaustion and sheer terror of dogfights the author also have a remarkable good eye for building up the story, jumping between the RAF side and the Luftwaffe side during the same raids.
I only awaits that the main characters must meet in a dogfight - it has not happened yet, - or maybe it has, without they/I know it - but it is almost bound to happen!

If there is a downside it's that the author turns almost to cliché when she describes feelings and love.
"He was the most beautiful man, she had ever seen!"...kind of stuff.
Strange really, being a woman. And I don't mean this in any negative or sexist way. But one should think, that female authors would have a certain flair for feelings.

But all in all: A bloody good and exiting read. And it's a huge book. Lots and lots of hours of full entertainment and excitement.
If you are looking for a good read for the summer vacation and the lazy days in the hammock, this could very well be the one!

Stand By

One Too Many
If there is a downside it's that the author turns almost to cliché when she describes feelings and love.

I recall seeing a documentary one time (a long time ago) and the RAF pilot was describing his time in the Battle of Britain and he would be directed to height and position by a female plotter and he was talking about her voice - and how it was the most beautiful voice he had ever heard … so feminine and the received pronunciation and utterly engaging. He'd look forward to sorties just so he could hear her sweet voice again and he'd imagine how she'd look; an English rose to match the serene voice. I remember him saying that he'd fantasize in-flight about meeting her on a shore with the surf and spume blowing …
Anyway that was him waxing poetic and lyrical.
And he went on to say that he later got to talking with this most enigmatic voice over the R/T and asked her out on a date !
And he got a car for the occasion and proceeded to imagine the most wonderfully romantic picnic together … then as he drove up to where she said she'd be, she was there in her WRAF uniform and he said that, as it turned out, that she was really rather very unattractive and he drove right on by … and she never knew.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

I recall seeing a documentary one time (a long time ago) and the RAF pilot was describing his time in the Battle of Britain and he would be directed to height and position by a female plotter and he was talking about her voice - and how it was the most beautiful voice he had ever heard … so feminine and the received pronunciation and utterly engaging. He'd look forward to sorties just so he could hear her sweet voice again and he'd imagine how she'd look; an English rose to match the serene voice. I remember him saying that he'd fantasize in-flight about meeting her on a shore with the surf and spume blowing …
Anyway that was him waxing poetic and lyrical.
And he went on to say that he later got to talking with this most enigmatic voice over the R/T and asked her out on a date !
And he got a car for the occasion and proceeded to imagine the most wonderfully romantic picnic together … then as he drove up to where she said she'd be, she was there in her WRAF uniform and he said that, as it turned out, that she was really rather very unattractive and he drove right on by … and she never knew.

He was young and dumb! We all know, that no one can live up to the imagination.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui