anyone a travel minimalist?

Discussion in 'Beauty' started by MissAP, Jul 9, 2019.

1. MissAP

MissAP New in Town

Hi!

I just joined this forum. does anyone dress in 1940s/1950s fashion but travel and pack like minimalist (30L or less backpack)? I wish I could dress in that era everyday but if I packed it'd have to pack a rolling suitcase for all of my clothing and hair rollers. I'm always trying to save space when travelling and only have a carry on so if I need to run for the train and catch my flight I can.

I guess this is a weird question! Does anyone have any suggestions for something like this?

2. Vera Godfrey

Vera Godfrey Practically Family

Hi! Welcome! Not a weird question at all. In fact, even though I don't travel, it is something I've been looking into myself. Steph has some great information here.

3. Vera Godfrey

Vera Godfrey Practically Family

She also has a blog post with more information here.

Hope it helps

4. MissAP

MissAP New in Town

oh yes! this is perfect.
    Thank you!

Vera Godfrey likes this.
  5. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I hate to travel, and usually only do for some work-related reason -- and when I do, I don't take anything I can't fit into my briefcase. The only shoes I take are the ones I'm wearing, I get on the plane with my hair pinned up under a headscarf, and the clothes I'm wearing are pretty much my wardrobe for the trip, other than maybe stuffing a rolled-up sweater into the briefcase.

I do this mostly because I hate the way airlines jerk you around with baggage, and I'm not going to make it easy for them. I'll never spend another minute of my life checking a bag, waiting to claim a bag, or trying to figure out why I'm in New York and my bag is in Cleveland.

Trenchfriend and Vera Godfrey like this.
  6. OldStrummer

OldStrummer A-List Customer

After some twenty-five years of frequent travel with the same suitcase, I had to finally replace it. It was a Briggs & Riley, and even though they are a bit pricey, I think they are well worth the few extra $$. My replacement is a carry-on size roller (because I hate checking luggage). A feature that I find I really like is the CX™ Compression-Expansion Technology. Simply open the case to its fullest capacity, then it will "compress" to fit its measured size. It doesn't mess up my clothes, either! See it here.

7. LolitaHaze

LolitaHaze Call Me a Cab

Unfortunately I am not a minimalist... I usually only travel for work, so that tends to include costumes (and their shoes), sometimes props, glam makeup, and my perm rods. Not to mention my daywear. I used to travel with my heavy duty bonnet dryer, but I opted to buy a travel dryer and cheap bonnet, that shouldn't take up "too much" room. Being that I am traveling with a handful of costumes next week... I bought those vacuum bags and a travel steamer. Hopefully this will save some room so I don't have to pay for another bag. It will be my first time using those, so cross my fingers. I would like to forgo my perm rods and just pincurl, but my hair just doesn't turn out the same. I also have to take my large feather fans -- which fit in my suitcase, but I also bring extra feathers and my repair kit, because I never know what will happen to them in transit. Lizzie... I am envying you right now!