Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else ever feel like this?

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I haven't been here in ages...

For the last 8 months I have worn make up maybe twice. My idea of doing my hair is washing it and tying it back. It gets some leave in condish if its lucky.

I dont bother with jewelery. Most of my nails have broken and are short from neglect of usual maintenance.

I havent worn any of my beautiful perfumes in forever. I just dont bother with it.

And my idea of getting ready to go into town consists of sweat pants, jacket and running shoes.

I love vintage, the life, the look - but I just cant seem to pull myself out of dowdiness and make an effort. :cry:

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I feel like I've fallen into this too. There's so much else going on - I'm tired, don't like to get up early, take minimal time to get ready for work.... I do still dress nice for work but just can't be bothered much with makeup.

I just wish I could be one of those people who could do myself up everyday. It feels like so much commitment.

My suggestion for you is to plan nice things now and again for yourself that require you to look nice, which will help you feel better about yourself. What about cocktails with the girls some night?

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Well I have children 2 and a husband and I work full time. I feel like I am lucky to take a deep breath many days. Little do a wet set and wear something nice. I have been trying to make the effort lately but have realized my wardrobe is entirely lacking as I have gained weight and been unable to lose it since child #2. So yes.

At the beginning of this summer I found my Lauren Reynold book and started trying to do some wet and styling my hair. I have been working on making more of an effort this sight has been inspiring me to start sewing again and try to make myself the wardrobe I dream of.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
I have no excuses..I have all the time and plenty of clothing....and while The Mister requests no makeup, he does like nice hair...and he does like when I dress up a bit....the battle is just me vs. laziness...sometimes it's because I get a little down, but when I realise it, Iimmedietly plan myself something, like tea or a fancy bath, a few minutes/hours on the patio, feet up and a mag...I'm refreshed and good to go!
And popping in here certainly helps ;)

Lillemor

One Too Many
Since rediscovering the vintage style (first in teens but always interested in historical styles) I've had two such periods. The first one made me feel concerned and a bit sad. Now I don't fight it and just allow myself to go through those periods. I live now, I live at a time where so many styles are embraced and I'm actually quite grateful that I can dress up or down as I please without facing harsh judgement and social consequences for it.

Leonora

New in Town
Work and the Modern Girl

Time is certainly the main problem I have with vintage - especially time to set hair. I've just had a go, for the first time in several weeks. Putting the curlers in took 1h30. Attempt to sleep on them (pink foam rollers, plastic clips) meant no sleep - in the end took them out just after 6 this morning and then slept soundly for 4 hours...

The thing is, on a normal work day, I'm at work 9-7ish, and I also travel to other countries for work regularly. Setting overnight is the only option, and I do need to sleep, or can't cope with work. And then, I have other interests in life...of course, vintage queens like ourselves should be paid simply to breathe :D but until the rest of the world realises it owes us a living - how do you ladies find time?!

lareine

A-List Customer
Forget about the extra effort that goes into a vintage look. You owe it to yourself to make an effort of some kind, even if that is just blow-drying your hair and putting a slick of clear varnish on your nails. Resume making some kind of effort with your appearance and you will feel a million times better. Don't beat yourself up about not doing it "right" -- just do it.

I know from experience that I always feel better when I get dressed and make an effort, even if I'm just working from home all day, and I feel worse when I slob about in unflattering grubby clothes with my hair scraped back. I'm sure everybody else is the same. It's like taking exercise -- few people want to, but when they make the effort they feel great afterwards.

Now I just need to take my own advice on that last bit lol

Puzzicato

One Too Many
RitaHayworth said:
I love vintage, the life, the look - but I just cant seem to pull myself out of dowdiness and make an effort. :cry:

Aside from that, are you feeling OK in yourself? If you aren't making an effort because you are too busy and happy with it, that is one thing, but if you aren't making an effort and you feel bad about yourself, that isn't good. Make your family leave you alone for half an hour, have a bath and give yourself a pedicure and a glass or mug of something cheering and see if that helps give you a bit more energy.

baby_butterfly

One of the Regulars
I think people jsut fall into ruts in there life, mainly out of cirumstance. Tiredness. Busy Lifestyle. Depression. Needing a break. Anf guess what....its ok!! As long as, at the end of the day, you can get up, get out there and pull yourself out of it therese nothing wrong with taking a break. Too many of us put our happiness in other peoples hands sometimes. Take on other people burdens and troubles.

Tatum

Practically Family
I am in such a rut right now! We bought a 1921 Craftsman that needed a renovation in February, then add in Florida heat... I have been washing my hair more than I like to due to sweat, sawdust, plaster dust, etc., so sets have been few and far between... But now I have a beautiful vintage house :)

It's too bad that now I have the most GORGEOUS room in which to hide and do hair and makeup (we converted the smallest bedroom to what we call my "dressing room"), but I haven't had the time to use it much yet. I did my hair a few times last week, but no pics (I got rained on).

Once the weather cools off and the house gets finished, I'll probably start lurking less and posting more.

Miss_Becky

Familiar Face
Gosh, there must be something in the water, because I feel it too. I recently chopped my hair off because I didn't feel like messing with it anymore (and also felt like it wasn't very healthy from all the product and pin usage)

So now I have a pixie cut that requires only a bit of hairspray. I only wear make-up when I leave the house. In summer my skin breakouts if I wear make-up, so I have to keep it to a minimum....Mainly a little blemish coverage and some mineral powder, mascara (a must!!) and lipstick. That's it! It takes about 10 minutes for me to "put on my face".

It feels really nice to just let go and do what works for you, in the now...not for anyone else. Especially if you have children, but like the previous poster said, thank goodness we live in a time that is much more forgiving in what people wear.

Smuterella

One Too Many
For me this is usually a sign that I'm getting a little depressed. That and my house being a mess.

I have to say though, that a vintage look isn't any more high maintenance than any other style (aside from leaving hair natural and wearing absolutely no makeup)

It takes 10 minutes to set hair once you get used to doing it, it takes 5 mins in the morning to brush out a simple set, make up can be as simple as just mascara and lipstick - so 2 mins, max.

I think it just looks more high maintenance than it is - I mean, its much more work to wash, blow dry and straighten your hair every morning like a lot of gals do.

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
I'm with Smuterella. Having a terrible job and then LOSING the terrible job (long story, blessing in disguise, et.c et.c et.c) just sent me into a downward spiral. And you know...I just kind of let myself have my "day" (week, month, year...ouf) of rest from pushing myself to do it all. Now that I'm starting to move on from everything, (and getting over everyone saying "You just don't seem like yourself lately") I'm slowly starting to take an interest in it again (clear sign: watching lindy hop videos and makeup tutorials again!) and I'm just following my own lead on it, pardon the pun. I think sometimes it's important to say, "You know what, I just can't" and then when you CAN, it will be a rejuvenated second wind.

Go easy on yourself, you might be the only one who will.

HepKitty

One Too Many
I stopped wearing eye makeup every day years ago. still wear it for special occasions but for general intents and purposes I decided if I'm that ugly you should not look at me. it's just too much hassle for every day, cat eyeliner takes too much time. still wear a little foundation to even skin tone and concealer for problems, and I do have to dress nice for work, but other than that I don't do much. my hair is clean and I usually leave it down or do something simple, but again, nothing complicated. I love perfume though and as long as it's light I'll wear it. but I think we all go through periods where we stop caring, it's kind of an escape from societal pressures and expectations

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
For me this is usually a sign that I'm getting a little depressed. That and my house being a mess.

I have to say though, that a vintage look isn't any more high maintenance than any other style (aside from leaving hair natural and wearing absolutely no makeup)

It takes 10 minutes to set hair once you get used to doing it, it takes 5 mins in the morning to brush out a simple set, make up can be as simple as just mascara and lipstick - so 2 mins, max.

I think it just looks more high maintenance than it is - I mean, its much more work to wash, blow dry and straighten your hair every morning like a lot of gals do.

QFT. What's the saying--fake it until you make it?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My day job, since January, has been at a grungy warehouse full of motorcycles. At first (and while it was freezing) I didn't bother at all to dress. But I found I was getting depressed and didn't feel like myself at all. Besides, I work with my husband and I felt like he was missing the cute wife too.

So now if I have the time, I do wear a dress or at least a cuter outfit, I do put on lipstick and mascara and eyebrows and concealer/powder (that's the minimum I can do) and i feel much better about myself.

Of course, I still get to/want to dress way up on the weekends, what with gigs and the busy vintage social life we have here.

If I wasn't into dressing up on the weekends, I would probably go to the doctor. But, if you are just too busy and otherwise still like yourself, it's not a big deal - the clothes will be in your closet waiting for you!

Smuterella

One Too Many
Actually, come to think of it, vintage is less time consuming than modern looks for me - I wash my hair only once per week. I don't have to spend time and money changing my make up / hair / clothes as fashions change. My clothes all fit into a certain style so everything goes with everything else. I also don't have to worry about fake tanning as my pale skin is perfect for the look I'm after.

Its all good.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk