Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever use a plastic hat shaper from hatshapers.com?

bobkeenan

Familiar Face
I have a hatshaper coming from hatshapers.com. I got it for the brim shaping part. I have some hat molds and a stretcher but they only are for crown shaping. I have been looking for an old hat brim flange but have not found one yet so I Thought I would try this.

It looks like the brim shaping is done with the brim down? And there does not seem to be an easy way to cover the brim for ironing, nor for holding the brim down.

So does anyone have one and if so how did you do the brim shaping and how did it turn out?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Hello, I have had just the "crown hat block" made by them. They make a top shelf product for the money...however I think you are going to need a "flange" for the brim...you may need to contact them back and express what you originally needed product wise from them...I think they do make a flange but not sure...you can check that on their website!
Good luck to you so very much!

bobkeenan

Familiar Face
Thanks for the reply, they do make a brim flange but its integral to the crown block, I think. So you have to form the brim in the opposite direction than a normal flange. In a normal brim flange that hat fits in upside-down and the brim flange is curved in the direction of the final brim curve. With their brim flange the hat sits on the crown and the brim sits on the flange at the same time. The curve of the brim flange is then down away from the crown. And that is the opposite brim curve than what you want to end up with. And that is what I did order. I will have it on Saturday so I will see what I can do with it.

Willybob

A-List Customer
Yes I have three straight wall dome tops in 7-3/8, 7-1/2 & 7-5/8. They work well. If I work hard with water and iron I can get a 6" crown out of some of my refurbs. I find the results are best when I remove the sweat first. I was able to add a crease to one the hatshapers using a heat gun to soften the plastic. it was a slow modification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk