Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone got pictures of an older Aero steer hide jacket in black?

Hi All,
I just bought an old black steer hide Aero off eBay.
I was inspired by a really beautiful HWYMN I saw up here a couple years back, but I'd love to see worn in pics of Aero black steer hide jackets if you have them out there.
Mine should ship soon (from UK) and I'll post up when it arrives.....but in the meanwhile, let's see yours.
Thanks.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I bought this about a year ago from Chicago. The seller said it was from the 80s, but I don't know. Very nice Steer that still has a very strong distinctive rose smell.

DSC07421.JPG

DSC07422.JPG

DSC07439.JPG

DSC07427.JPG

DSC07423.JPG

DSC07428.JPG

Here are a few more images.

[video=youtube;Xl1EY4MM9i8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl1EY4MM9i8[/video]

nick123

I'll Lock Up
From the pictures I've seen, the Connelly looks to be matter. I don't know how easy it is to tell after 25 years though. I'd guess TMitchell's to be Connelly but it's only a guess.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
From the pictures I've seen, the Connelly looks to be matter. I don't know how easy it is to tell after 25 years though. I'd guess TMitchell's to be Connelly but it's only a guess.

I had heard about the Connelly. I thought maybe this is one. The Rose smell after this long I thought would be an indicator. The leather itself is nice as you can see.

I just looked at the linked pics. I remember that jacket.

Edward

Bartender
Aero used Connolly Steer back in the eighties, from the start of the HWM, which was the first civilian model to carry the Aero brand, if memory serves. Connolly was best known for its use in the motor industry; I think Rolls Royce still use it for interiors today. Aero stopped using it because, if memory serves, they could no longer get it in sufficient quantities. I think the price of it may also have shot up too. Holly, I'm sure, could tell you when they stopped using it.

I think there might be a difference in weight with the Horween being heavier. Not sure though...

There is a Horween steer which is somewhat heavier than FQHH, even. Aero also have another steer (Italian, possibly?) which is of a softer hand. My HWM is the latter. Same thickness as FQHH, but definitely softer to touch right from the get-go. I'd compare it to 'midweight' horsehide, in terms of what it's like to wear. Similar weight to my Schott 618, though somewhat nicer a hide.

Plumbline

One Too Many
wait .. that Highwayman is only 15 years old and FQHH :) ... .sorry

I'll go find the pics of the steerhide one :)

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
My Highwayman, size 44, weighs around 5 pounds 4 ounces. Does anyone relate a strong rose smell with any leather, Connolly or other? It is a pleasant smell and not too subtle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk