Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone Have an ORVIS® Muir Woods ff Fedora? It's now on Sale

Saw this one in the Orvis Men's Clothing catalog in my "library".
Seems to be made in Adamstown, PA by Bollman Hat Company, same maker as Bailey & Eddy Bros.

Anybody in the Lounge ever handled or worn one?
Looks a lot like the 3 Forks & Moose River...

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I really like the look, altho' some reviews noted that the brim wasn't dimensional but 3" all around. That stinks.
If it is still made in Fall River MA. it is by Korber Hats, perhaps the last great New England factories.
But...the crown is listed at a mere 4", so I may (will) let it pass, unless one of you wicked enablers
tells me how much you like yours. :rolleyes:

rogerstg

A-List Customer
I don't see anything wrong with that hat, but you pay a bunch for the Orvis name. OTOH, Akubra has something similar in their Banjo Paterson for ~$105.

akubra-banjo-patterson_1.jpg

Roger

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I think the hat is made by Bollman. Korber is mostly a straw hat factory. Their fur felt finishing isnt great.

RobertM

Familiar Face
I actually bought one some years back and though it had a nice look to it, my biggest complaint - and the reason I returned it, was that it was way too stiff ; it simply did not fit my head. Very uncomfortable.
R

Duper

Practically Family
I have two Banjos. Fawn and Grey (basically black). Both great hats. I would pick the Banjo hands down at the current exchange rate you can get.

,,,,Mike in Canada

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
The stock photo looks great but the reviews are rather disappointing. Shame really 'cause plain, fur felt khaki hats are pretty hard to find & if the brim really is 3" all around that would make it a verstaile lid. The real problem though is calling it a fedora, it's clearly an outdoorsy type hat with poor relations in Oz & possibly a distant uncle from the plains of the Serengeti. Given the complaints in the reviews, the price tag does seem a little high when better quality hats are on the market for around the same price. Now if Akubra could produce a few of their smaller dimensioned hats in khaki they would be onto a winner.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
Have and have had quite a bit of Orvis merchandise, quality stuff for the most part, I would not count hats among any of it. The hat in question is not my style, but if it were, I would choose Akubra hands down based on quality and dollar value.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now way cheap ------>

Akubra is likely the superior product, hands down.

...however that Muir is now on sale for eighty bucks, bringing the price point, at least, down to Akubra range.
At $225 they were an idiotic buy but at eighty, I may well be droppin' the hammer on one.
Or you can wait and they will go down another 10% in a couple of days.
Just thought I'd send a "heads up" out to all of ya'll.
Have a great Labor Day! :usa2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points