Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know if Schott does Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales?

Gamma68

One Too Many
I've had my eye on a few Schott jackets but am wondering if they are known for doing Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales?

Seems to me Schott does a year-end factory seconds sale, but that works best if you can make it to NYC.

I remember getting an email notification for the Black Friday in the past, though their flagship styles rarely turn up at any considerable discount. It's their annual sale you ought to be looking at.

Hh121

Banned
They gave your gift card if your purchasing is over certain number, that's it.

dannyk

One Too Many
Black Friday. Maybe. Factory sale is always first weekend of December. At least that’s what I was told by Gail who runs their forums on more than one occasion. Although you have to be present at the factory for it. So I’ve never been involved in that.

Gamma68

One Too Many
No clue. They announce it on the site and if you're on their mailing list. Gail says it's "...always held the first Saturday in December.". Soon, then.

There's a very informative thread about the sale on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmale...t_nyc_2017_annual_factory_sale_dec_2_8am12pm/

Bottom line is, be there early. Very early.

OK, so the only sale they have is one you have to be present for in-person? I'm in the Detroit area, so there is no sale option for me.

dannyk

One Too Many
I’m sure they do some sort of Black Friday or cyber Monday sale. But the big December factory sale has to be in person at the factory for a good reason. They take out all the mislabeled or factory seconds, the leftover limited editions, the one off test jackets, the made for a specific distributor who returned some etc... so they literally take out everything from the previous year stored in th factory and put it on sale. So you go there get let in and search the racks. I’ve heard it’s actually awesome and there’s some really good finds for significant discounts. But it’s at the factory which I think is in New Jersey these days. That’s like 500 miles away and have never been able to make it. Maybe one day.

Edward

Bartender
Unless you're looking for a very limited edition piece, I'd consider going used instead. May be different in the US ,but here in the UK Schott's retail prices have risen dramatically in the last few years, but this has not seemed to have been met by a corresponding rise in their second hand value.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Sure, Vanson makes a very nice product at a great price. I have no doubt they're better made than Schott, too. But I also would like to add a "Perfecto" to my collection. Second-hand Perfectos are less expensive but also rising in price on eBay. The horsehide models even more so and they're far less common.

Almost all of my jackets are second-hand. And while I like a bargain, it's also enjoyable to buy new and break it in yourself.

Hh121

Banned
Vanson is the king in my experience.
1. Stock jacket is returnable without holding grudges or get you blacklist.
2. Very reasonable alteration/repair price.
3.Thick, waterproof leather not overly too heavy but also pliable and will ages beautifully. some leather may looks stunning when it's new but will looks bad after years.
4. The unique designed pattern brings most confortable wearing experience and mobility when you put your Vanson on. It really keeps your warm during the winter.
5. Price, get it when they are having sale event.
97f8988a2afd37dd3994ae56451215f8.jpg
e8a10c0a61ac2a0a4be35f4396cc6a54.jpg
9ec1d828ac305cc3ba06db68735b06a7.jpg
a3d35b46dc4f28b839345e8da161284f.jpg

Last edited:

roadking04

Practically Family
Damn double H! Nice collection. And you're adding a hardcore on top of it. Very nice!

@Gamma, I have a Schott perfecto618hh. You won't be disappointed with Schott. In some ways I think the Schott hh is better than the Vanson competition weight. Yes the Vanson is definitely thicker/heavier, but it is also "corrected/embossed" leather with a HEAVY topcoat. The Schott looks like plastic when new but will age much quicker.

As far as riding jackets go, the Schott is no slouch, It can hold it's own. Longer, "full" action/one piece back and underarm footballs. Warm quilted lining for our rustbelt fall/winter/spring and a 1/2 belt to seal out drafts.

I would give the edge to Vanson for a "true" m/c jacket though. The HEAVY topcoat is virtually a leather raincoat. Might need some earplugs with the Vanson, super squeaky, lol. Works GREAT on the bike but might be overkill for dinner and a movie.

Can't go wrong with either. Both are MUST haves for any collection. Do the right thing and eventually get both. lol.

walds11

New in Town
Thanks guys. I received the email with the Schott sale info too. :)

Me too, but I may change direction and go the custom Thurston Bros Aero Seven route. $300-400 more than the Schotts I’m considering, but fargin kick butt jacket and exactly what I’m looking for!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points