Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know when the "dry clean" label was first introduced?

1on1

One of the Regulars
heyhey good people-

Even google couldnt spit out a definitive answer for this one...

Ok so here's what we know, the first dry clean patent was issued to an American in 1855. For any history buffs out there, the inventor was a black man who also happens to be the fist black man to be awarded a patent BUT the plot is lost as to when (atleast which decade and where) the first dry clean label was introduced.
I came across what i strongly suspect to be a 1930's mens british jacket..its an amazing one. The "British" part is a no- brainer since it also has a "made in England" tag but what's thrown me off is the "dry clean" tag. I doubt the Brits beat us to the punch with a "dry clean" label since it was invented by an American but on the other hand i own a decent selection of mens 1930's American made wool garments and none of them have a "dry clean" label...Ofcourse i could also be wrong in dating the British jacket.

In any case, it would be useful to know for now and for future reference.
Cheers
1on1

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I can't tell you exactly when the dry cleaning label was first introduced, however in the UK, it looks like dry cleaning labels weren't routinely used until the 50's, so your jacket may be younger than you think.

1on1

One of the Regulars
LnM -thanks for weighing in..strange how precise information on such a game-changing event like dry cleaning tags on garments is not readily available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points