Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apartment necessities

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
This week, I will begin moving my belongings into my new 1930's downtown apartment. This will be my first time living alone, and I've been very occupied shopping for kitchen, bathroom and dining room supplies. I just purchased a beautiful vintage formica table from my favorite antique mall, and I'm currently looking for a matching set of chairs. I am also looking for a reasonably priced dining set.

As for cleaning supplies, I'm going basic and safe -- vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, salt, sodium borate...so that simplifies things a bit.

However, I am wondering what everyone considers a "necessity" for a comfortable and productive living environment? This includes furniture, appliances, basic baking supplies, cleaning supplies/tools, etc. etc. etc.

Discuss!

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
gluegungeisha said:
However, I am wondering what everyone considers a "necessity" for a comfortable and productive living environment? This includes furniture, appliances, basic baking supplies, cleaning supplies/tools, etc. etc. etc.

Discuss!

Ya gotta have a radio. Then think about barware ... even if just for decorative purposes.

Richard
PS: Congrats on the new place.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
You need cookware...and glassware...etc.

I just moved in the last year...and am -still- getting things I need slowly.

But many bargains can be had if you thrift store and flea market.

In terms of happy productive environment...the things important to me are not the big stuff...heck I -still- dont have a full size fridge which means no freezer..

Its the intangibles, like feeling at home..like its -your- place....I find that things I love besing displayed help make me feel peaceful and rested here.

Plants will also help...they make oxygen which just freshens indoor spaces if you dont have a patio or outdoor area to relax in.

D...who could talk house stuff for -ages-....will stop now

Nashoba

One Too Many
household pest traps, killer, or one of those ultra-sonic electromagnetic pest control thingies. All the apartments I ever lived in had issues with pest control, no matter how clean I kept the place (and I'm a bit of a neat freak). you can't control your neighbors and if they don't mind the bugs they'll get into your place too!

Nashoba said:
household pest traps, killer, or one of those ultra-sonic electromagnetic pest control thingies. All the apartments I ever lived in had issues with pest control, no matter how clean I kept the place (and I'm a bit of a neat freak). you can't control your neighbors and if they don't mind the bugs they'll get into your place too!

I agree. Also, and this depends if you drink it or not, but I'd need a good coffee maker! :p

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Midnight Palace said:
I agree. Also, and this depends if you drink it or not, but I'd need a good coffee maker! :p

Great idea. A nice working vintage percolator can be had for a bargain price at just about any shop.

Richard

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Vintage home makers & keepers of another sort

Female kitten(s), plants, and boric acid mixed with a little confectioner's sugar.

Thirty years ago when I moved into my home, the neighborhood had not gentrified which is to say there were a lot of temporary dwellers more intent upon experimenting with self gratification than establishing and keeping a home. Thus, there were pest issues that I had never had before and they totally icked me out. I did the following and have been pest free every since:
I made r---h diners.
I mixed boric acid with confectioner's sugar - two to three parts boric acid to one part confectioner's sugar is probably good enough. I put the boric acid/confectioner's sugar mixture under and behind things with motors especially those that do not get moved that often like refrigerators and stoves. I put the mixture in used bottle caps not only to keep moisture out, but also because it's just neater when it is contained. I also put these little r---h diners in the back of cabinets and under sinks. I only had to treat the bathroom and the kitchen, but depending on how the neighboring residence is set up you may need to place them in spaces adjacent to their kitchen or bath.​
I adopted a young female kitten.
Cats, in general, are natural mousers, but females are especially obsessive about the hunt and play their catch as a toy until it is dead. Unfortunately, none of mine are willing to remove the corpses. For that, I used a pooper scooper to avoid looking at it until it was in the outside trash receptacle. (Did I mention I am a bit squeamish about such things?) Too soon, however, I realized that she needed a playmate, one who would tolerate claws. That's why I suggest getting more than one. BTW: although "at least one litter" may sound tempting, don't give in. It's not worth the aggravation. Just get her neutered immediately.​
Insofar as furnishings, IMO plants are a must.
I picked up a couple of forgiving plants. One was an ancient dieffenbachia (dumb cane) that someone had thrown out (I'll admit to being afflicted by the "rescue syndrome) and the other was a dying young gracious ficus that called out to me as I passed by it in a Sears department store. There is a plant variety for almost every lighting situation and caretaker (unless of course, you want flowers; then, you may have to spring for a full spectrum lighting set up).​

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Kitchen scissors. They're safer than a knife, and you don't have to cut herbs, game hens and packages with scissors you used to cut burrs out of the dog's hair.

Electric drill. Constantly comes in handy. Oh, and a hammer and studfinder if you want to hang pictures.

Medicine. Get it now instead of going to the drug store when it's 35 degrees, dark, raining, and you're sick. I like Umcka cold care for coughs, Sudafed PE (store brand), pepto, and skin glue for cuts.

Good set of knives. You're actually less likely to cut yourself with a good, sharp knife because they're easier to use.

Electric fan.

Pressure cooker--make soup in a hurry. It's also ideal for making stovetop popcorn if you leave off the gasket and weight.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned duct tape.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Do you plan on living there for a few years, or do you think you'll be moving around much? When you're young, you tend to move around a lot, so as much as you'll want to be filling your apartment with nice furniture, dishes, etc. it will become a tremendous hassle once you need to move. So unless you're sure you'll be staying in this apartment for a few years, keep the nice things down to a minimum. I know, it totally sucks to sleep on a mattress on the floor, but you'll be happy come moving day when you don't have to move a box spring and bedframe too.

Other than that, don't forget things like towels, a plunger, trashcans & trashbags, scissors, envelopes & stamps, coffee pot, blender, microwave, toaster, power strips, tape and painkillers! Definitely don't forget the advil! I just moved into a new apartment a few weeks ago and had a hell of a time trying to find the advil today! ;)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Don't forget your computer. Otherwise, you'll miss out on all this sparkling repartee about helpful household hints. (See below) :p

How about a 12 gauge shotgun for protection? A gal I knew years ago was given a Mauser by her father when she got her first apartment. For protection, of course - he cared about his little girl. She asked him, "How do I use it?" He answered, "Back up to a wall, put the butt against it, and pull the trigger. Don't worry about aiming. It'll hit something." :eek:

Lee

"I am here to fight evil and exchange good-natured barbs" - The Tick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112