Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apparel Arts March 1942

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Some of you may know that I picked this up for a song from a somewhat poorly titled auction. As I've said a number of times, I'm no collector. I read it, I've photographed every page for myself, and now I'm returning it to the wild. Here's a preview of the auction I'm putting together. The opening bid will be $100 and I'm considering putting a buy it now on the auction, but am still considering that price.

Anyone who has ever doubted that I am the King of Cheese should now bow down.

You are an admirer of classic style.

You are a man of exquisite taste.

Anything less than perfect will not due.

I know these things about you by the very fact that you're viewing this auction.

As you already know, Apparel Arts wasn't only the forerunner of Esquire, it was far more exclusive. While Esquire was and continues to be a men's magazine that anyone can purchase from a newsstand, Apparel Arts did more than counsel consumers on the day's fashions. Apparel Arts was only available to retail outlets as a trade journal. It's more than just a portfolio of advertisements, it's filled with fabric swatches, awards to retailers for store displays, and advice on an efficient retail lay-out.

This issue is approximately 100 pages and contains many of the types of illustrations that have made Apparel Arts the most desirable record of men's style. There are 3 pages of fabric swatches, all of which are intact, though there are spots of discoloration on the swatches from the original glue. The binding is tight and there are no loose pages, aside from an unnumbered insert and a subscription card. The corners have some foxing and the edges could be more crisp, but these marks of age lend a feel of sophistication to this WWII era veteran.

Today, Apparel Arts serves as a beacon.

It is the green light that Gatsby viewed from his lawn.

It is a remembrance of better days and a hope for the future.

It is the ideal.

TERMS:

Shipping is $12 by UPS Ground within the Continental U.S.

Bidders outside of the Continental U.S. must contact me for approval and a shipping quote prior to bidding.

Payment is by Paypal only and is due within 48 hours of the auction's close.

This is a vintage item and there are no returns.

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0173.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0189a.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm not quite sure, though I was thinking of scheduling it for Saturday. I will post the link to the auction in this thread and make it a part of my signature as soon as it's up. I don't think I'm going to put a buy it now on this, as I'm not really sure where it might top out.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There are some things in this that might have been fine in '42, but that probably wouldn't fly today.

DSC_0315.jpg

DSC_0320.jpg

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I saw that one when it was originally auctioned and thought about bidding. I was a bit surprised it didn't go for more, but my guess is that later issues from the '40s don't command as high a premium as the ones from the '30s.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'd agree that they might fetch less, but it was poorly listed. The seller failed to include Apparel Arts in the title of the auction. It was simply listed as Esquire. The private offers I'm receiving also tell me that, whether or not it's worth as much as the AAs from the 30s, it's worth much more than I paid for it.

Orgetorix said:
I saw that one when it was originally auctioned and thought about bidding. I was a bit surprised it didn't go for more, but my guess is that later issues from the '40s don't command as high a premium as the ones from the '30s.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:
If I wear that poolside gear can I get Betty Grable too????:D :D [huh] [huh]

I decided to ask that very question of Rivercool and received the following response:

Dear Mr. Lefty,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Rivercool and our advertisement
in the March issue of Apparel Arts. While we at Rivercool believe that our line of
menswear will open the doors of success in all of your affairs, we cannot warranty
that our garments will result in swooning by any particular member of the opposite sex.
In an effort to convey this very point, please note that we have included within the
advertisement both Rivercool model Betty and Midge, a local librarian who can mend a
sock better than anyone I've ever met.

We can't promise that a Betty will fall for you in your Rivercool menswear but, if she
doesn't, a Midge will treat you right.

Sincerely,
Dan River
President, Rivercool
DSC_0185.jpg

;)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Let's Roll

I'm going to schedule the auction to begin tomorrow, Sept. 4 and will run it as a 10 day auction, ending Sunday, the 14th. I've decided to raise the starting price to $150 and have added a BIN of $500. As I've said, I'll post the link as soon as the auction is up.

If there are any Loungers seriously interested, I'll knock the BIN price down to $450 by Paypal (instant transfer, no Paypal checks) and throw in free shipping by UPS Ground (the free shipping only applies within the Continental U.S.) if we have a deal by 4PM tomorrow. PM me to work out the details.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
IT'S ALMOST OVER!

The clock is ticking. With ten watchers and two bids so far, this one ends tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21