Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arch Top Guitars.

Chas

One Too Many
I used to play a lot of guitar, and haven't picked one up since a couple of weeks ago when I was in my favorite music store and started noodling about on a Fender Stratocaster, my "dream axe" when I was in my salad days. Since then I am more an arch-top guy, though I will probably buy a Strat. some day. A friend just gave me a 60's tube amp - a Danelectro "Cadet" model. So, now I need a vintage guitar to go with it.;)

There are some sweet numbers there for those with the interest and the dough to splurge on fine vintage guitars: archtop.com . Many thanks to Silver Dollar for the link.

48tr_709_.jpg

40c56_310_.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
You're part of a small but growing cult if you're into archtops. Can you remember the last time one turned up on Antiques Roadshow? I can't.

I've got a $200 Harmony with a hairline crack down the back hanging around the place. I got it with an eye to learning old school chonk-chonk rhythm chords, but a whole week of trying and failing to get a barre chord out of the g.d. thing put me off it it. :rage: I'll try again in 20 years - I had to wait that long to come back to flute, and am now doing okay with it.

Mav

A-List Customer
Archtops are a whole 'nother instrument, due to the harmonic dynamics of a tailpiece bridge and the angle of the strings on the bridge.

Have played both an archtop guitar and an archtop bouzouki/cittern (my chosen instrument- own and play an archtop mandolin,) and they are totally different from the flattop versions. Looking for an affordable archtop 5 course cittern, which doesn't exist.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Archtops are of course available in acoustic and electric - many of them not only lovely, but great sounding. It's a most pleasant addiction to have.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Someday, I hope to own a 1939-41 Epiphone Emperor. More realistically, I'll pick up an Epi Triumph one of these days (like the one in Chas' first photo). Not quite as fancy (or loud) as an Emperor but a lot more affordable. I love old Epis (and Gibsons and Strombergs, and D'Angelicos, and Vegas, and...).

Django

New in Town
I wouldn't mind having a vintage acoustic archtop.

Does these count? Since I got the Gretsch, I rarely touch the Epiphone. But it still looks good on the wall.

gretchen.jpg

goldflake1.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've got a Godin 5th ave. in black and a 5th ave. kingpin in sunburst.
The black one has an aftermarket humbucker, the kingpin, a p90.
34481_412057890908_630485908_4361166_3447461_n.jpg

7426_156127510908_630485908_2602503_7956796_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points