Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Classy Restaurants Lowering Dress Code Standards in Your Area?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:

Is it the same Lucasville with the prison? Maybe that explains the rough populace. A lot of the former residents of the prison just decide to stay in town maybe?

Yes, it's the same Lucasville, but it's not the problem. Here's a good example: It seems that in this rural area people think that they can go where ever they want on their 4-wheelers--including running at highway speeds down SR 104 or across farm fields or other private property. My father-in-law's neighbor once complained to him about the fact that 4-wheelers kept riding through his property without asking permission. My f-in-l said to him "You ride your 4-wheeler through my property and you never asked permission." (He has 100 acres that is bounded in part by state forest.) The response? "I didn't know whose property it was." That kind of sums it up--they don't get it that if it doesn't matter whether or not they know whose property it is, they do know it's not theirs and therefore they shouldn't be riding there. As for the riding on the highways a state trooper told me that they catch them when they can, but the problem is that the riders just don't care. I've also seen people running down the highway at high speeds with passengers, including toddlers. To me, the whole bit with the 4-wheelers kind of sums up this area.

But I'm waaayyyyy off topic here. :eusa_doh: I'll stop ranting now. lol

Cheers,
Tom

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
There's a gun store here in town that will cut off your tie (at about the 3rd button) with scissors if you don't make for the door or get it off quick enough. They staple them to a post.

Some Car Dealerships will cut the tie off of a new salesman when he sells his first car.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
The Peninsula Country Club in San Mateo and the Claremont Country Club in Oakland have a "no jeans policy". At Peninsula that applies not only to members and employees but all vendors; plumbers, deliverymen, and salesmen. If the toilet breaks they ask the plumber to remember that policy and come dressed accordingly.

Claremont also has a no cell phones or hats policy in the lobby of the Club House.

Our company has a no denim policy, but they now allow beards.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
Some Car Dealerships will cut the tie off of a new salesman when he sells his first car.

I look forward to the day when I fall asleep at a tie-required office job and my coworkers take the scissors to me. It's a rite of passage, really.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
More tie cutting

Jack Scorpion said:
I look forward to the day when I fall asleep at a tie-required office job and my coworkers take the scissors to me. It's a rite of passage, really.

As the conversation wanders around...

Now that the subject of cutting off ties has been raised, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Weiberfastnacht in Germany. It's part of the carnival season. From the German Embassy web site:

The six days preceding Ash Wednesday are known in Germany as the "crazy days" as carnival begins in earnest. In the Rhineland region, festivities start on the Thursday, a day known as "women's carnival". Women literally assume power and symbolically storm the town halls in many places. Men are advised to wear an old tie since the women are liable to cut it off on that day and compensate the bereft wearer with a kiss.

Cheeers,
Tom

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Eateries which have loftier dress codes are all together different from those which post the "no shoes, no shirt, no service" sign. I'm not so turned off by people with decent, normal, clean clothes on in any establishment as I am by the outright slobs who often need to dress up just to gets past the "no shoes, no shirt, no service" level. Even then stretched out oversized tee shirts and baggy shorts with flip flops aren't real appetizing attire either.

I'd rather see a fellow with a golf shirt and slacks in a place that usually requires coats than a crumb with a tank top, shorts and feet so dirty you'd think they were gray sock in old flip flops at a "casual" restaurant.:eusa_doh:

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I'm so lazy.

Can anyone tell me if MK or Matt Deckard identified the pub/club that had the no tie policy. West End or elsewhere?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Up until the early 1960's women used to wear white gloves to go shopping on Market St. and Union Square in San Francisco. A far cry from the flea infested street people with numerous body piercings.:rage:

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a timely post! I was commenting on this just yesterday. Paul's dad & his wife were here for the weekend after a week in Vancouver & Victoria. For Sunday brunch, they first mentioned the Space Needle, but since we've done that the last few times they've been up, we wanted to try something different. One of the finer restaurants in town, Palisade, has a Sunday brunch that we'd heard about for a long time and that's where we made reservations.

They stressed that their dress code was business casual at minimum, coats & ties preferred. When we got there, I would say 40% or less fit what I would consider business casual (no jeans, nice slacks, shirt that you could wear with a tie or a dressier polo type shirt). Only a very few, like us, with coats, nice slacks, shirts and ties. But many with no coat or tie (which is fine for "business casual") but at least had on nicer slacks and shirts and such.

But at the table across from us, someone in a ratty black tank top, baggy cargo shorts and sandals. We saw a few pair of flip-flops, some t-shirts, shorts in the crowd. Based on what we saw, apparently, ripped jean shorts and leather work boots are now considered business casual. I found it very disheartening.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I don't go to restaurants very often, but at one of my favorites--a beautiful Italian restaurant--some of the men wear baseball caps and shorts. What is the though process here? "Mowing the lawn and cleaning out the garage has really made me hungry. Should I go to the burger barn, the hotdog stand, or a fine restaurant with linen napkins and a wine list?"

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
Yes, a majority of the classy, or expensive, restaurants are very lax in their rules for dress but there are still a few that require at least some semblance of fine dress. No holey jeans or cut-offs.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
I was called in for jury duty. A majority of the women in the pool dressed fairly nicely, appropriate to the duty and venue. I was dressed in business casual, including tie, sport coat and carrying a straw fedora. Most of the other men were dressed in jeans/tee shirt, though a couple did wear shirts that buttoned. When it came time for the attorneys to pick those they wanted to bump, the prosecutor bumped others. I was the first the defense attorney bumped, though.
Pardon me for getting off dining and into the greater society, but you touch on something interesting here. Women are more clothing-appropriate for most occasions because "manliness" has been slowly dumbed-down to leave out a lot of the finer points - such as appropriate dress. What was once gentlemanly is now often unmanly, especially if it doesn't directly involve being a provider, protector, or enforcer.

The principle that "a gentleman dresses approprtiately" was wrestled out by another principle with more tough-guy appeal: "real men don't care about clothes."

As for your getting bumped, being different in itself is a bad thing in the empanelment process. No judgment against you of course, but it may indeed be a judgment against being different.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
Another interesting experience: I was called in for jury duty. A majority of the women in the pool dressed fairly nicely, appropriate to the duty and venue. I was dressed in business casual, including tie, sport coat and carrying a straw fedora. Most of the other men were dressed in jeans/tee shirt, though a couple did wear shirts that buttoned. When it came time for the attorneys to pick those they wanted to bump, the prosecutor bumped others. I was the first the defense attorney bumped, though.
Cheers,
Tom

The voir dire/peremptory challenge process is a mixed bag of
objective and subjective factors that do not necessarily make sense. :)
"It's all straw," as Aquinas said. ;)

Mildred

New in Town
Why I like dresses

I can not understand why some beautiful young women these days look so shabby. It says volumes about how they feel about themselves. Sad. Even if you have no money-it is easy enough to curl your hair and put some lipstick on.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Mildred said:
I can not understand why some beautiful young women these days look so shabby. It says volumes about how they feel about themselves. Sad. Even if you have no money-it is easy enough to curl your hair and put some lipstick on.

people say this a lot on here. my opinion (as well as some others') differs. if you saw me 5 days out of 7, you would think i look like a total slob and have low self-esteem. but actually, i love myself, and for me personally, the fact that i wear jeans and flip flops or other comfy flat shoes and pull my hair into a ponytail (sometimes without brushing it!) reflects that i am comfortable with myself as i am, with or without dolling myself up. i technically could primp every day, but i don't feel a dying need. plus then i'd have to check my lipstick and adjust my hair and worry if my bike helmet was destroying it. ;) i'm proud of myself for who i am, and especially for how i've learned to integrate many various interests of mine into a workable lifestyle. i can love vintage aesthetics, ride my bike 5-10 miles a day (or more!), take part in numerous activities that label me a hippie/anarchist/radical/whatever, and still wear heels and lipstick on occasion and look damn good! some people feel that what they look like is a reflection of who they are inside, and others do not. i've met many a girl who takes the time to make herself look good who has horrid self-esteem or image, and others who definitely look "shabby" and love themselves to pieces. i used to wear vintage 7 days a week and really made an effort, and i was definitely insecure and uncomfortable with myself despite that.

sorry to go into such an :eek:fftopic: rant... this is just something that has struck a nerve again, and again, and again for me, especially since i've worked so hard to be "okay" with myself :)

Nashoba

One Too Many
tinmanzzz said:
Granted, I live in a back water area, But I can't remember when Dress codes were inforced.
Speaking of dress codes, remember when you dressed up to fly on an airplane. Before the strip search.:rage: :rage: :rage:

Oh come now, Knoxville isn't that backwater :) I was in McMinnville on Sunday for the day....that was backwater lol. And I still dress up when I get on a plane. I find I get less of a hassle wearing a nice traveling dress and pumps...I certainly get through the line quicker since I don't have to untie sneakers and such.
And I wish that there were better dressing standards not just in restaurants but all across the board. I don't mind jeans, I wear them often enough but (as we've often talked about in the PR) there's dressed down and then there's down right sloppy. I'm seeing more of the latter lately and I find it a bit sad. Now my husband is a t-shirt and jeans kind of guy when he doesn't have to dress but even he knows when to kick it up a bit. There seems to be a general lack in caring about the way one looks these days and I think that's what I find distressing.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
Up until the early 1960's women used to wear white gloves to go shopping on Market St. and Union Square in San Francisco. A far cry from the flea infested street people with numerous body piercings.:rage:

some of us still do :). Especially when going into the city.
:eek:fftopic:
I do miss SF though. I hope I can get up there when I visit home next. My husband proposed there and if I'd had my way (which I didn't :( I would have been married at the Marines Memorial Club Hotel on Sutter. As it was I had to settle for the Navy Chapel at Moffett Field...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ