Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are heavy jackets bad for the back?

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Hi. I wonder if heavy leather jackets are bad for those with back conditions. I own a Fox Creek Motorcycle jacket Classic II and it must weigh at least 7 pounds. Could these very heavy jackets be dangerous for those with bad backs?

Hi. I wonder if heavy leather jackets are bad for those with back conditions. I own a Fox Creek Motorcycle jacket Classic II and it must weigh at least 7 pounds. Could these very heavy jackets be dangerous for those with bad backs?

No, being fat is bad for our backs! I have a bad back. Sciatica, and two herniated disks. I don't ever feel that the jackets are an issue. I did however feel weight was, so I lost 32 pounds this year. That's the best thing I could do for my back. As for jackets? I don't think it matters. I've ridden my motorcycles with heaves packs, and I camp/hike with big packs. I suppose over time that could have some impact, but we can counteract a lot of that by activity and good diet, etc. Just my 2¢

too much coffee

Practically Family
No, being fat is bad for our backs! I have a bad back. Sciatica, and two herniated disks. I don't ever feel that the jackets are an issue. I did however feel weight was, so I lost 32 pounds this year. That's the best thing I could do for my back. As for jackets? I don't think it matters. I've ridden my motorcycles with heaves packs, and I camp/hike with big packs. I suppose over time that could have some impact, but we can counteract a lot of that by activity and good diet, etc. Just my 2¢

Can't argue with that ButteMT61!
I'm recovering from a spinal fusion surgery that was the result of years (decades actually) of physical abuse to my back; sports, Army Ranger, broken backbone that I never gave it a chance to heal, that sort of stuff.
Some folks complain about the weight of their hunting boots or the weight of their back packs but the real issue in most circumstances is excess body weight. Loose the weight and gain the strength to hold excellent posture while wearing an 8lb. FQHH jacket, or humping hunting gear all day over hill and dale.
So as he stated.........being fat is bad for our backs. I would just add always do strength building resistance type exercises daily.

Regards, coffee

Can't argue with that ButteMT61!
I'm recovering from a spinal fusion surgery that was the result of years (decades actually) of physical abuse to my back; sports, Army Ranger, broken backbone that I never gave it a chance to heal, that sort of stuff.
Some folks complain about the weight of their hunting boots or the weight of their back packs but the real issue in most circumstances is excess body weight. Loose the weight and gain the strength to hold excellent posture while wearing an 8lb. FQHH jacket, or humping hunting gear all day over hill and dale.
So as he stated.........being fat is bad for our backs. I would just add always do strength building resistance type exercises daily.

Regards, coffee

Exactly. I'm off to physical therapy in 30 mins. Not fun at first, but once it starts taking hold, you do realize it's the things we do that are more important. A great side benefit is the clothes look 100% better too :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
My back is shot too. Heavy jacekts don't affect it but I do find wearing a heavy jacket annoying. Anything over 4-5 pounds is (to me) cumbersome and a drag to wear. I've had heavy steerhide jackets in my closet for years that I have only worn a tiny amount because they just aren't any fun - even when soft and broken in.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars

Yes they are, very much indeed. I however am in shape, so don't waste those heavy FQHH's send them to me care of OC82 in yuba city CA.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Actually, heavy jackets can cause quite some distress. They won't really damage your back, but if you have preexisting myofascial triggerpoints in the upper back and shoulder area a heavy jacket can maintain them, even make them stronger. So a heavy jacket when worn regularly can actually constantly reactivate those triggerpoints, making even correct treatment ineffective.

Bix B.

New in Town
Some guys with a bad posture and low self-esteem may gain a benefit when feeling "stronger" by putting on a nice leather jacket and thereby getting a much better posture. I`m not kidding, my wife is a physiotherapist and she told me about this effect.
Problems (not only for the back) may rise when feeling stronger and running into a brawl while wearing heavy FQHH. It makes you much slower i could bet.

Edward

Bartender
I have one shoulder a little weaker than the other, but that was never a jacket thing. Alas, that was caused by years of wearing a heavy bag over one shoulder, rather than dorkily over two..... :eusa_doh:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
If you already have active myofascial triggerpoints even slight pressure is enough to maintain them. That's why women with triggerpoints in the upper trapezius muscle (causing severe headaches, pain in the side of the neck and in the jaws) need to switch to bras with very wide bra straps if they have heavy breasts. The constant pressure of the bra straps can be enough to reactivate the buggers again and again. A heavy, stiff leather jacket can act just the same.

Bix B.

New in Town
Rudie, as I don`t have experiences with wearing bra `s myself:D, isn`t it that leather jackets, even stiffer ones spread the pressure over a much larger area? And by the way, isn`t "myofascial triggerpoints" a theoretical agreement among some physiotherapists which isn`t widely accepted among doctors as a true concept?
Wikipedia:
Many practitioners of chiropractic and massage therapy find the model useful, but the medical community at large has not embraced trigger point therapy. There is no consistent methodology for diagnosis of trigger points and a dearth of theory to explain how they arise and why they produce specific patterns of referred pain.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_point

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Bix, sometimes even quite slight pressure is enough to maintain the triggerpoints. A stiff FQHH jacket is certainly able to provide enough pressure.

Actually, the existence of myofascial triggerpoints is scientifically proven and there is lots of research out about them. There are very specific clinical tests to diagnose them. And, yes, there is a consistent methodology for diagnosis. And there are also therories about why they arise and why they produce specific RP patterns. There is research by Mense and also very good explanations in the Simons/Travell books and in Roland Gautschi's book. But I agree that a lot of so-called experts are pretty blind when it comes to triggerpoints. Butler/Moseley in their book "Schmerzen verstehen" almost exclusively refer to neural pain, writing two short pages about myofascial pain (the chapter is called "The truth about muscles"), saying that blood supply in muscles is so good that they can't tighten up or be responsible for pain. Huh? Even a layman can intuitively understand that this is a lot of crap. When you have triggerpoints there's an energy crisis inside the muscle cell, the muscle fibres can't relax anymore, blood supply in the triggerpoint region is decreased and it can lead to excruciating pain. These so-called experts manage to ignore scientific research of at least the last thirty years.

The problem is that proper diagnosis means asking the right questions, listening to your patients and having the manual skills to actually locate them by touch. X-rays or MRI's won't work. That's why nearly 100% of all medical doctors are unable to diagnose them. Even if they knew that triggerpoints existed (they don't learn this at university) they'd neither have the time nor the skills to diagnose and treat them. In eight years of training people in the treatment of myofascial triggerpoints we had only one medical doctor attend one of our seminars. They just don't seem to be interested in learning effective skills to treat patients with pain.

Fifty150

One Too Many

If 7 pounds is too much, it's time to hit the gym. Work out, watch your diet, and get in better shape.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Maybe you don't have to be a power lifter, or turn into the ultimate fighting champion. But just do enough to be able to wear a 7 pound jacket.

Really?

7 pounds?

I've ordered pizzas that weighed more than 7 pounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21