Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are YOU a Brylcreem Boy..? What's the TOPS in hairdressings?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So who likes to 'grease/wax' back the hair with that shine of the 30's and 40's? And what modern gel/wax product gets your vote in getting the best glossy vintage main of manly hair?

I'm using the Brylcreem squeezing tube of 'wet look' gel. But It's not that good at straightening my naturally wavy hair (and that's not just hair that's waving GOODBYE either!!). So I'm still on the hunt for a hair straightening, wet look hair dressing that will give me 'the look' of the Golden Era!!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Miss N.

I searched and searched for things (as I knew something would be out there), but could I find it [huh] Thanks for coming to the rescue!

Salv

One Too Many
Try these threads as well Paddy:

Elvis-stlye pomp with pomade in straightening ironed hair. Any ideas?

American Crew vs Murrays vs Royal Crown

I use a pomade called Sweet Georgia Brown, which comes in three weights - thin, water-based in a purple tin; medium, petrolatum-oil based, and very glossy, in a red tin; and thick petrolatum based in a blue tin. I use the blue tin, but I have thick, straight hair that needs a thick pomade to hold it on place. Your hair is not quite as heavy as mine, so you could probably get away with Sweet Georgia Brown in the red tin. I've got a spare tin of red you can have if you'd like to try it - I stockpiled some when the company that produced it went bust a couple of years ago. PM me your address and I'll post it on to you.

The brand has since been revived by Murray's, another pomade manufacturer (their pomade is the thickest, with the best hold, but it's very tough to wash out) and SGB red can be found in the UK at branches of a hairdressing suppliers called Sally Hair & Beauty. They don't stock SGB blue, but it can be found on UK eBay, and for some reason it seems easily available in parts of Europe. I was in Munich last month for a long weekend and found a couple of shops selling SGB blue, so bought half a dozen tins.

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Vavoom Pomousse worked great for me, but they discontinued the product. I think that you can still find some on e-bay, though.

Cgab

Weston

A-List Customer
I just picked up Wildroot, which does not provide the wet look. It works wonderfully to keep hair in place while not feeling like you have anything in your hair! I may even be able to use it in the Air Force, where hair products are forbidden, as no one can tell when you are using Wildroot. However, I do want that "Don Draper" look that Brylcreem can provide. But I was picking up new stockings for Mrs. Weston, so I elected for the $2 Wildroot in lieu of the $6 Brylcreem. Still on the hunt for Bay Rum...

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
So who likes to 'grease/wax' back the hair with that shine of the 30's and 40's? And what modern gel/wax product gets your vote in getting the best glossy vintage main of manly hair?

I'm using the Brylcreem squeezing tube of 'wet look' gel. But It's not that good at straightening my naturally wavy hair (and that's not just hair that's waving GOODBYE either!!). So I'm still on the hunt for a hair straightening, wet look hair dressing that will give me 'the look' of the Golden Era!!

As far as gettin the "glossiest slicked back look of the Golden Era" I would say to pick up a can of Murrays Super Light- some of the glossiest stuff out there I ever tried and unlike regular Murrays it's combable, I can usually find it at Target, if not go to the Murrays Pomade website and order it, has a light coconut scent, you won't be disappointed.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Any real man who wants to grease back his hair needs to ditch the Brylcreem and go for the real grease - Murray's, NuNile, Sweet Georgia Brown, Dixie Peach....

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
Any real man who wants to grease back his hair needs to ditch the Brylcreem and go for the real grease - Murray's, NuNile, Sweet Georgia Brown, Dixie Peach....

What about un-real men who want to....or is grease the exclusive domain of 'real men' ?, whatever that means... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21