Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are You a "Serious" Collector? The Categorization of Fedora Loungers.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
I am writing in response to an issue presented in a recent thread. Because the thread was stirring up so much controversy, the original poster decided it was time to take it down. The topic discussed had been the topic of many threads and posts before it.

The general idea was that many of the more knowledgeable members had left the lounge for various reasons and that there didn’t seem to be newer, equally knowledgeable members to “take their place”. The lounge is filled with collectors of every variety and “rank”. I think we need to define what that means.

Some say that they don’t appreciate being categorized. The psychology of the fact is that we want to be categorized! This is exactly why we join fraternities, clubs, organizations, and forums! We want to walk into a room and know that those around us share the same interests, hobbies and talents. Belonging to a group such as the Fedora Lounge means being categorized! I feel that most members of the Fedora Lounge fall into one of these categories:

Period-Specific General Living Full-Timers: Those who completely immerse themselves in all aspects (fashion, movies, music, cars, etc.) of a specific time period (1940’s, 1930’s to the early 1950’s, etc.). One does not necessarily need to be a connoisseur of any specific aspect.

NEW CATEGORY ADDED! Period-Specific General Living Part-Timers: Those who strive to immerse themselves in all aspects (fashion, movies, music, cars, etc.) of a specific time period (1940’s, 1930’s to the early 1950’s, etc.) but have no problem with enjoying the comforts of modern conveniences. One does not necessarily need to be a connoisseur of any specific aspect.

Period-Specific General Living Enthusiasts: Those who are greatly interested in all aspects of a specific time period but do not necessarily immerse themselves in those aspects.

Period-Specific Fashion Connoisseurs: Period-specific fashion collectors who possess or strive to possess above average knowledge and understanding of vintage fashions.

Period-Specific Fashion Enthusiasts: Period-specific fashion collectors who do not necessarily strive to possess an above-average understanding of vintage fashion.

General Fashion Connoisseurs: Those who possess or strive to possess above-average knowledge of general fashion.

General Fashion Enthusiasts: Those who simply want to look good, regardless of period specificity.

Item-Specific Period Fashion Enthusiasts: Those whose interest in a single element of period fashion (neckties, shoes, leather jackets, etc.) greatly outweighs their interest in any of the other elements.

Item-Specific Fashion Enthusiasts: Those whose interest in a single element of fashion greatly outweighs their interest in any of the other elements.

Period-Specific Costume Re-enactors: Those who have an interest in period-specific fashion solely for use at re-enactments.

Period-Specific Costume Seekers: Those interested in period-specific fashion solely for one-time use.

Character-Specific Fashion Enthusiasts: Those who seek to replicate or embody a style made famous by a figure in popular entertainment, e.g., Indiana Jones.

Profiteers: Those who use this forum solely for the purpose of gathering information to boost their sales. These people have no interest other than lining their own pockets.

This is not a "ranking" list by any means. No category should be seen as "above" or "below" another. We are all different! As the author, I only "ranked" them in the order that interests me. Except, I do feel that "Profiteers" deserve the bottom :D

I know that falling under certain categorizes means coming under heavy financial burdens (I know it does for me!). We must do our best to satisfy our passions to the best of our financial abilities and be mindful of the fact that some may never have the means to fully satisfy theirs. It’s a harsh fact of life and is truly a tragedy IMO.

I have been obsessed with a specific time period (the art deco era going in to the very early 1950's) since I was a small child and I am 28 now. Believe me, it's not just about style and vintage clothing for me. It's about recapturing an era in American history and submersing myself in that era (to the best of my financial abilities;)) When I dress vintage, I try to recreate a specific year as best as I can. When I do late 30's, I do late 30's. When I do early 50's, I do early 50's. I will NEVER wear an early 50's tie with a belted back jacket (unless it is one of the ultra rare early 50's belted back sport coats. Yes, they did exist.)! Striving to be period accurate is something that gives me a tremendous amount of pleasure! It is my addiction. I am constantly striving to fall under the first category, “Period-Specific General Living Full-Timers”. UPDATE: I have changed my category to "Period-Specific General Living Part-Timers". Obviously, being a full timer means that I wouldn't be sitting at this computer! ;)

I think people here should muster up the courage to pose upon themselves some serious questions: why am I here? Which category do I fall under? And, if I am not happy with that category, what can I do to change that?

What do you think?

Last edited:

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I found your post intriguing, and the more i think of it, I think you have well defined the ways we are or present ourselves in public. I definitely fall into the type who is here because of specific areas of interest. I also enjoy the atmosphere here as most make a conscious effort to be more courteous.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
Thank you very much!

I actually made a mistake earlier in saying that the thread that inspired this had been deleted. In fact, I was told that it was moved to this Observation Bar along with this one.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Nice idea, although the 'need' part leaves me cold. I don't need to do anything, never mind choose a category.

However, in the interest of being interested, I will say if I fit into any of the categories, they would be Period-Specific General Living Enthusiasts, General Fashion Enthusiasts, and Character-Specific Fashion Enthusiasts.

Mystic

Practically Family
I am writing in response to an issue presented in a recent thread. Because the thread was stirring up so much controversy, the original poster decided it was time to take it down. The topic discussed had been the topic of many threads and posts before it.

The general idea was that many of the more knowledgeable members had left the lounge for various reasons and that there didn’t seem to be newer, equally knowledgeable members to “take their place”. The lounge is filled with collectors of every variety and “rank”. I think we need to define what that means.

Some say that they don’t appreciate being categorized. The psychology of the fact is that we want to be categorized! This is exactly why we join fraternities, clubs, organizations, and forums! We want to walk into a room and know that those around us share the same interests, hobbies and talents. Belonging to a group such as the Fedora Lounge means being categorized! I feel that most members of the Fedora Lounge fall into one of these categories:

Period-Specific General Living Full-Timers: Those who completely immerse themselves in all aspects (fashion, movies, music, cars, etc.) of a specific time period (1940’s, 1930’s to the early 1950’s, etc.). One does not necessarily need to be a connoisseur of any specific aspect.

Period-Specific General Living Enthusiasts: Those who are greatly interested in all aspects of a specific time period but do not necessarily immerse themselves in those aspects.

Period-Specific Fashion Connoisseurs: Period-specific fashion collectors who possess or strive to possess above average knowledge and understanding of vintage fashions.

Period-Specific Fashion Enthusiasts: Period-specific fashion collectors who do not necessarily strive to possess an above-average understanding of vintage fashion.

General Fashion Connoisseurs: Those who possess or strive to possess above-average knowledge of general fashion.

General Fashion Enthusiasts: Those who simply want to look good, regardless of period specificity.

Item-Specific Period Fashion Enthusiasts: Those whose interest in a single element of period fashion (neckties, shoes, leather jackets, etc.) greatly outweighs their interest in any of the other elements.

Item-Specific Fashion Enthusiasts: Those whose interest in a single element of fashion greatly outweighs their interest in any of the other elements.

Period-Specific Costume Re-enactors: Those who have an interest in period-specific fashion solely for use at re-enactments.

Period-Specific Costume Seekers: Those interested in period-specific fashion solely for one-time use.

Character-Specific Fashion Enthusiasts: Those who seek to replicate or embody a style made famous by a figure in popular entertainment, e.g., Indiana Jones.

Profiteers: Those who use this forum solely for the purpose of gathering information to boost their sales. These people have no interest other than lining their own pockets.

I know that falling under certain categorizes means coming under heavy financial burdens (I know it does for me!). We must do our best to satisfy our passions to the best of our financial abilities and be mindful of the fact that some may never have the means to fully satisfy theirs. It’s a harsh fact of life and is truly a tragedy IMO.

I have been obsessed with a specific time period (the art deco era going in to the very early 1950's) since I was a small child and I am 28 now. Believe me, it's not just about style and vintage clothing for me. It's about recapturing an era in American history and submersing myself in that era (to the best of my financial abilities;)) When I dress vintage, I try to recreate a specific year as best as I can. When I do late 30's, I do late 30's. When I do early 50's, I do early 50's. I will NEVER wear an early 50's tie with a belted back jacket (unless it is one of the ultra rare early 50's belted back sport coats. Yes, they did exist.)! Striving to be period accurate is something that gives me a tremendous amount of pleasure! It is my addiction. I am constantly striving to fall under the first category, “Period-Specific General Living Full-Timers”.

I think people here need to pose upon themselves some serious questions: why am I here? Which category do I fall under? And, if I am not happy with that category, what can I do to change that?

What do you think?

You forgot to list the 'Snob' category.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
You forgot to list the 'Snob' category.

If you mean me: You are obviously not comfortable with categorizing yourself and are therefore reacting in a confrontational manner. It also means that you are obviously uncomfortable with the category that you do fit into. This reaction by some was inevitable and I expect it. Don't feel bad. It takes a lot to be able to be honest with oneself.

And, I would appreciate it if you could pick out specific sentences from my original post and tell me exactly why you think I am a snob. I would appreciate the opportunity to explain my meaning and intentions to those who do not understand.

If you don't mean me and are in fact referring to the few snobs that I mistakingly forgot to make a category for: I apologize for my above comment and thank you for contributing to the list.;)

Last edited:

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
Nice idea, although the 'need' part leaves me cold. I don't need to do anything, never mind choose a category.

I complete agree. Although I took some time in writing up the categories, I was rather quick at writing the surrounding stuff. I changed it a bit and I hope it helps. And, thanks for choosing some categories, despite the fact that you didn't feel the need to choose.

Remember everyone, this is something for you to think about. You don't need to reply with your chosen categories. Though I welcome it! Hell, come up with your own if you wish! This was only meant to spark some serious thought.

I also want to emphasize that although my passion is strong and I like to place myself into the "Period-Specific General Living Full-Timers" category, it is very difficult for me to satisfy this passion. At the moment, I am in serious debt from student loans and am in-between jobs that don't pay too much to begin with. I am in fact one of those burdened by financial pressures!

And, this is not a ranking list by any means. As the author, I have only presented it in the order that interests me.

Last edited:

Justin B

One Too Many
I actually like your list.

I'd say I was probably a "General Fashion Enthusiast" with a bit of "Item-Specific Fashion Enthusiast" as I lean heavily into hats. I'm nowhere near the sartorial model that some are as far as fashion goes, nor am I knowledgeable enough about hats specifically as some of my Hatting Heroes. I love the movies and have many of the decorating themes in my house, but I like my modern conveniences too. So maybe a bit of "General Living Enthusiast" though not to a specific period. I suppose I just have a broad taste for the era without having narrowed down to any one time or item. I guess in the end the best term for me might be "Enthusiast of the Golden Era - Non Specific". I suppose that is getting rather specific though isn't it. ;)

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
I suppose I just have a broad taste for the era without having narrowed down to any one time or item. I guess in the end the best term for me might be "Enthusiast of the Golden Era - Non Specific". I suppose that is getting rather specific though isn't it. ;)

See, this is GREAT! This is EXACTLY the kind of thoughtful responses we need here!

I think your "Enthusiast of the Golden Era - Non Specific" brings up a completely different question that is probably impossible to answer: What is the Golden Era?

1930's?
1940's?
1920's to the 1940's?
1925 to 1955?
January 1st, 1925 to December 31st, 1954?

The possibilities are countless and mean something different to everyone of us. For me, it begins with the Art Deco period and ends with the rise of Elvis (at least I think that was his name;))

Gene

Practically Family
"Period-Specific General Living Full-Timers" I wear vintage clothing every day, surround myself with vintage items, but I still have to live in the real world.

I can't be totally immersed, I am on the internet after all, but I try my best.

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
Wow, I just got a headache after reading that post, though I do think it was well thought out. I'm just here to have fun. Mostly interested in 40's era cars and art deco architecture. This art deco influenced the styling of radios clocks etc. I like hats too. I'm not a serious collector but I've got some furniture and knick nacks. I like the style of the period but can't fit into anything I find!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Although I appreciate the styles, I'm not a vintage "purist" by any means, but I suppose I can be considered for the following categories at this point:

Now, in the future, these may be subject to change depending on whether I acquire more vintage clothing or not. I would say it's likely that I'll gradually take up incorporating more vintage elements into my style as time goes on. I respect the fact that there are members here who enjoy dressing full-time in vintage, just as there are those who only sport one or several elements. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with either side. I try to capture more general retro looks, preferably sporting styles that would have existed since at least the 1960s. After that decade, I'm not very interested in the fashions. For what it's worth, I have a general level of interest in styles/music/films/history from the early to the mid 20th century.

Last edited:
"Period-Specific General Living Enthusiast" though my aspiration is to someday become a "Period-Specific General Living Full-Timer." To simplify things I find that most of the primary interests of the folks here fall into one or all three of these basic categories:

Fashion
Music
History

In fact I've always thought it would be neat if we could have a symbol (or symbols) next to our name/avatar denoting our primary interest or interests. Possible symbols could be a fedora for those mainly into fashion, a musical note or a saxophone for the music lovers, and some suitable symbol for the history buffs.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Period-Specific General Living Enthusiast:

I love the time period from about 1890 to about 1962 or so. Some periods I like more (1890s, the late 1920s, and the 1940s to early 1950s best) than others. I do not have enough vintage clothing to wear all the time, and my number of vintage reproductions is also slowly growing. So I am vintage "inspired" most days and full vintage or so 2-3 days a month. However, this is also a factor of where I live, hard to pull off vintage three piece suits more than a day a month in Hawaii... I love the music, architecture, films, literature, history, etc. of period and mostly engage with culture from that time period rather than today.

However, I will fully admit I'm not very strict in wearing everything from the same time period. No, I do not put a big 1940s tie with my skinny 1960s suit. But I might throw a 1940s tie with an early 1950s suit, etc. I try to make it so it looks right. But one day I might try for a 1951 Mr. T look, the next day a late 1930s sports look, the next a 1958 Continental, and then perhaps 1910 for formal wear etc.

Last edited:

I would say I fit this category best. I have been into vintage, my mom says, since I could walk and talk.

I live in a home filled with all sorts of vintage things, I have a vintage hairstyle, vintage/vintage inspired clothes, have owned my share of vintage cars, and still have somewhat vintage cars. I love old music and television programs, and just about anything else the good ol' days has to offer.

It's not just an aesthetic point, either. The old-world ways of manners, and behavior is very important to me, as well.

I would certainly never qualify myself anywhere near the point of our experts on here. I know a bit about vintage clothes, and a bit about history, and this and that.

I guess I'd be about equivalent to your basic working-class guy of the postwar era. I'm just living 60 years past when I should be.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Me, I just want to make informed decisions. I suppose "Item specific fashion enthusiast" fits me closest. If I had to make my own category, it'd be "General Matt Turpin Enthusiast". I want to figure out what I am, but I don't want to leave out any options. TFL offers some viewpoints I can't replicate elsewhere, and I took some and shunned some. Same with everything. I don't know what I am, except a deliberate work in progress.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
"Period-Specific General Living Full-Timers" I wear vintage clothing every day, surround myself with vintage items, but I still have to live in the real world.

Oh, I hear ya! I love my technology! But if I had to choose between selling my computer or one of my vintage suits... bye bye macbook! ;)

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
To simplify things I find that most of the primary interests of the folks here fall into one or all three of these basic categories:

Fashion
Music
History

In fact I've always thought it would be neat if we could have a symbol (or symbols) next to our name/avatar denoting our primary interest or interests. Possible symbols could be a fedora for those mainly into fashion, a musical note or a saxophone for the music lovers, and some suitable symbol for the history buffs.

Yes, I'm sorry that the categories don't give much credit to those primarily interested in music, cars, history, etc. It was intended to categorize those within the clothing section of this forum. It was originally posted there but was moved here by a moderator.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
I don't know what I am, except a deliberate work in progress.

This is the best thing I've heard all night! The important thing is that you are honest with yourself!

I thank you all so much for posting some terrific responses, as opposed to some (or one) who completely misunderstood this thread's intentions.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Period-Specific Fashion Enthusiast:
I suppose that might be the closest to the way I might be categorised. History is a full time thing for me (since I write history books) but I am not vintage obsessed. I like the stylings of 1930 to 1955 (give or take a year or two), but I concentrate on the UK and would feel uncomfortable wearing an obviously American look.
Not all my clothes are vintage:
Ties - 80% vintage
Cravats - 60% vintage
Suits - Mostly reproduction of period style
Trousers - All copied from period styles
Shoes - all modern but made in traditional styles by a quality British manufacturers (all by the same company)
Scarves - 90% vintage
Coats - 100% vintage

I am happy with the term 'snob' since I am elitist about what I wear. I don't look down on others, but I set myself certain standards and adhere to them everyday (I never go out without a tie or cravat). But I have no desire to be an expert. I feel that expertise, whilst good (and maybe essential), is overated on a forum such as this. What I really enjoy is enthusiasm. I like to see responses by people who maybe don't know why they really like something, but just know it is right for them. Having seen some of the recent criticisms about falling levels of expertise I held the opinion that those considered experts could always learn something new from the forum. Non-experts will find things that experts have not seen before. No one has complete knowledge and i have certainly seen those identified as 'experts' making errors. I imagine that, if a number of experienced tailors began to post on the forum, we would have to reassess what we consider to be an expert.

I know what I like and wear it without specific period constraints. I am lucky in that respect becasue my favourite period is British clothing in the late 1940s and early 1950s. It is a very forgiving period since the UK was in a dire economic state. As such, all manner of clothing was worn: you see smart wool caps alongside eight pice caps or oversized workmen's caps in a style dating back to the Edwardian era. Narrow trousers and wide trousers were acceptable. Sports jackets with contrasting trousers. Plenty of people wore pre-war styles. Others wore new post-war styles. There were oldstyle double-breasted belted overcoats, sleeker raglan fifties style coats. Army surplus was worn as workwear - or battered, patched suits.
It's an easy look to achieve - just take a mish-mash of clothing from a 20 year period and you can achieve that look. It wouldn't suit the specific stylings of those who take their inspiration solely from period clothing catalogues but if you look at period photographs (which having spent 14 years as a picture editor, is something I used to do on a regular basis) you clearly see that there were no rules.

I could keep going, but I'd better no turn this into an essay.

Anyway, it's a good subject for discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk