Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Deco Gibson Guitars...

matei

One Too Many
Greetings all,

I don't know if this is the right forum, but here it goes.

I am a guitar player for umpteen years, and recently I've been trying to combine my love for Art Deco with that of the guitar. In doing some research for a possible custom instrument, I came across some really interesting guitars.

The "Jazz Moderne" - front:
modfront.jpg

modpick.jpg

... and back:
modhead.jpg

modback.jpg

modheel.jpg

"The Sophisticated Lady" - front:
slfront.jpg

slpick.jpg

... and back:
slback.jpg

I'm partial to the Jazz Moderne. You can read more about them here.

I even found an Art Deco Les Paul, but it is nowhere near as cool as the above:
eb5798ang3po.jpg

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Too Deco for Me!

Those crazy patterns make my head spin.

If I were going for an art deco guitar, I'd go for a D'Angelico. OK, true, they're ludicrously expensive, but they're both classy and cool. What they lack in bold design, they make up for in subtle deco appointments. Besides, their tone is legendary:

http://www.mandoweb.com/48-4081.jpg

If you have to get a Gibson, I vote plain archtop!

http://www.mandoweb.com/48-3166.jpg

Fu Manchu

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Art deco Gibsons

Matei

Fabulous! In the fifties, when I was learning to play, 'cello guitars from the 40s or even 30s were quite common and many people (myself included) had them as a first guitar. We hated them! All the kids wanted jumbos or solids so we could be like Lonnie Donegan or The Crickets. Now I wish I had my Hohner 'cello guitar again...

I like the headstock, tuning pegs, fret inlay, pickguard and the tailpiece, but I think they went a bit over the top on the Moderne (looks like it was designed by committee) and who needs all the artwork on the back on the Sophisticated lady?

I think they should offer it without the name on the pickguard (too busy), and have one as plain as the SL but using the darker stain of The Moderne (and without the streaked sunburst - again, too busy)

I'm sure we've all bought guitars that looked great but were unplayable (anyone thinking Vox Phantom IV?) and while I'm sure the tone is great on these, I think even the mellowest of players would be afraid to actually put either of them to use. You have to worry about scratching up the artwork on the back.

Regards,

Senaotr Jack

matei

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
I like the headstock, tuning pegs, fret inlay, pickguard and the tailpiece, but I think they went a bit over the top on the Moderne (looks like it was designed by committee) and who needs all the artwork on the back on the Sophisticated lady?

I think they should offer it without the name on the pickguard (too busy), and have one as plain as the SL but using the darker stain of The Moderne (and without the streaked sunburst - again, too busy)

Senaotr Jack

Good points... I don't care for the artwork on the back of the "Sophisticated Lady", and the name does busy up the pickguards a bit.

I personally would be a bit worried to play something like this for the exact reasons you stated. I remember when I got the first ding in my '57 Reissue Goldtop, I was distraught. However some guitars (like Les Pauls and Strats) look better with some wear.

I would daresay that these wouldn't.

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
Hmmm.
That very last guitar dont look Deco so much as it looks straight American Indian.
Most obviously the sun symbol on the switch, but the zig zag on the sides and the pickups, as well as the earthen pastel color scheme, are all distinctly Hopi from the southwest.
Also aside from the Hopi guitar, which is relatively uncomplicated,..the other guitars arent so much practical instruments,...as they are collectable art pieces, that appeal to the collector guitar market types.
Actual axes from back in the 20's n 30's were mostly plain, with deep dark finishes.
D'Angelicos are definately real playable deco guitars.

EC

Mycroft

One Too Many
EL COLORADO said:
Hmmm.
That very last guitar dont look Deco so much as it looks straight American Indian.
Most obviously the sun symbol on the switch, but the zig zag on the sides and the pickups, as well as the earthen pastel color scheme, are all distinctly Hopi from the southwest.
Also aside from the Hopi guitar, which is relatively uncomplicated,..the other guitars arent so much practical instruments,...as they are collectable art pieces, that appeal to the collector guitar market types.
Actual axes from back in the 20's n 30's were mostly plain, with deep dark finishes.
D'Angelicos are definately real playable deco guitars.

EC

Yea Native American and kinda southwestern too.

matei

One Too Many
Yeah, that Les Paul is a doozy. It is called the "Suroeste", probably paying homage to the area of the US that inspired it.

It is interesting that someone made the effort to make an Art Deco Les Paul (I'd always wanted to see one), but sometimes it is just that effort that shouldn't be made!

STHill

One of the Regulars
Hey Matel,

If you want to get rid of that crummy old dinged up 57 Goldtop RI, so you can make room for those fancy art decos, I'll be happy to take it off your hands.

Just trying to help:cool: .

matei

One Too Many
*sigh*
Ah, it is such a hassle to play that guitar - the Goldtop... It sounds so good that I'm tempted to stand there and play G, C and D all day. I never get any real writing done because those three chords just sound so amazing.

Now if I start to solo - forget it. Tone, sustain - the authentic voice of rock. I'm on it all day. You have to pry it out of my hands and there is a whole day wasted...

*sigh* Life is hard.

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points