Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

as niCe as an AERO or LEWiS at 3% the co$T???

Edward

Bartender
No, obviously it won't look that great compared to a premium product like an Aro or Eastman or whatever. A lot of us can reasonably consider saving up and buying one of those, but there are many much less fortunate than we are, to whom even spending $20 is a decision that merits careful consideration. I should expect most of the custom for a jacket such as this will come from them, and in that context it fufils its purpose.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
3piec vs 2 piece, or was that a 1 piece value meal?

I personally don't think a 1 piece is better than two or three. It depends on the look that one is trying to achieve. The pieces change the look of the jacket and the person wearing it. In fact, the more pieces, the more labor to construct it. Granted a one pice back takes a larger piece of fine leather, there are still aesthetic considerations. I prefer a two piece back without yoke as it gives a taller appearance or a 1 piece because it looks so clean, but I wouldn't judge a make by how many pieces. If I'm hungry I go for the 10 piece chicken nuggets, If I'm not then I go with the happy meal 4 piece. My Lewis Sportsman has a three piece back and is tailored like nothing els that I have seen, it is very very fine.

JMO

I agree JMO...
...as well as I do like one piece backs..a nice yolk across the back...even inverted pleats ending in a half belt can have a much more tailored look..and if done right..not too busy. I've had many fine jackets(usually vintage)with those features and it is kind of a rarety to find that kind of detail these days.
However..for a cheaper jacket..a one piece back is certainly much better than a center seam...in my view.
HD

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
iT's hEEEEEEEEEEEEERE...

wow, all the comments...fun...even the one's questioning my saNity and capitaLization (i was a former political cartoonist and this waY of capitalizing is a holdover from doing that)

anyway...i was mightily surprised at this jacket. it was purchased just as a kickaround jacket plus the fact it looked really nicely styled according to what i like...and nO, the jacket pictured was NOT the one i got...it was the only arizona jacket pic i could find that came close to my purchase when posting

soRRy no pix...i was going to wait to comment on the arizona until i had pix, but seems there's enough interest to answer a few quesitons now

first, the styling is very nice...the length is a bit longer than most aero highwaymen at 28" vs the usual 26" for the aeros, but many people get them longer anyway...it certainly doesn't look long, and i hear even eastman added some length to (eeeeeeeeeK!) their sacrosanct luftwaffe design

the sleeves on this are 25", not classic motorcycle riding length, but only about 1" off the aero usual of 26", and right on schott's sleeve length for their classic '95 steerhide 681...so no problem there

neck is not oversized, nor is anything else, or undersized...like the japanese surpised everyone with quality when the were laughed at in the 60s, i think the chinese may surprise a few people...whatever the jacket's made out of, the proportions and styling are right on, which is what got me to get it in the first place

it looks really good on, but guess you'll have to take my word until i can snap a pic...and it has thinsulate lining, which is nice and warm, but i didn't notice any draconian levels of heat coming from it because of the outer material

as for what everyone here is interested in, nO, it is NOT a replacement for leather...and as a vegetarian this is what least bothered me...my indulgence in my leather passion (or fetish, tho there's nothing sexual about it unless a woman is attached to it and whipping me with it) is one thing, but i am happy to wear a simulated leather jacket, which aligns better with my actual philosophy.

which is to say, that it doesn't look exactly like leather does not bother mE...however, i'm surprised at how closely it does match leather...most people wouldn't know, and at a few feet i'm sure many if not most on the fedlounge here might not know...i sell vintage watches and it is now accepted even by rolex that $100 rolex knockoffs must be opened by jewelers to even know whether they are replicas or not...most if not all of those are made by the chinese too.

the faux leather has the non-stiffness of those calf leather or thin lamb leather jackets, so already it's lost the horsehide aero crowd...and i too am a fan of stiff leather (no nasty comments please)...but it still seems and looks like leather, just the thinner and softer varieties...

it also has nice 'wear' and 'distressing' cosmetically made a part of it...very well too, and actual threads sewing it together (not molded bas relief threads)

all in all, it just looks really great, fits really great, and would be a superb jacket to have spent a lot more money on, except for the fact that all of us here worship the craft of leather, and this jacket does not fall into that league

but, i'd have to answer a resounding yes to my original question of whether this is as nice as an aero or lewis when taken for what it is...something that comes darn close to looking and fitting as good as they do, but is in the end is not true leather...but at 3% the cost...if you are looking for a jacket you can spill beer on, your girlfriend can throw up on without you getting upset...or that you can toss in the car, wear whenever, and still enjoy "that" look we all enjoy...this does it...

no, it's not by any means a piece of cr@p...

but alas, it is not leather...which, above all, means...all those who get off slathering pecards on their jackets will have to forgo that perversion...uh, i mean pleasure

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Armour All.

Are you really serious about the replica watches?
There are always faults in the case shape and detail that give them away-
and that's just the cases.
Or, is there a new, perfect generation of Rolex reps, this month.
Better to ask the replica experts than the Rolex experts.;)

Let's see your dry-suit, then.:)

B
T

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
rolex is not God

no bellytank, the myths about rolex are that they are some 'ideal' that has somehow transmogrified into the material world from on high

fact is, they have great quality control so you don't see any flaws usually, but i've seen many chinese-made watches that may not have the same quality control and actual quality, but according to looks are very difficult to tell from a rolex...

perhaps someone from rolex with a loupe can go over the case and find telltale signs, but even rolex authorized dealerships and their watchmakers would need to have the case opened up to see what's inside for the better replicas which, again, can be had for slightly over $100...i've had rolex watchmakers (who worked for 'the' rolex) state this to me about the better replicas

my watchmaker for the watches i sell at casablancawatch.com worked for rolex for over a decade, and some of my other watchmakers work exclusively on rolex for jewelers who sell them...a good cadre of these watchmakers claim omega, dollar for dollar spent, is a better watch than rolex...but this stuff aside, the fact is that computer designed watches and modern production, especially in what they do in china, have created watches that can pass even when viewed by all but the most persipicacious experts...at a very low cost

mind you, i'm not saying equal quality...but passing...and not a bad product to boot

which, getting back to what's at hand here, is what they did for the most part with my jacket...tho i'd say a good rolex replica is perhaps closer to the target than my jacket was...but my arizona (chinese) jacket is very nice, especially for the price

of course, i wouldn't trade it for even my uswings a-2, and especially not my walter dyer luftwaffe style modern motorcycle jacket...just as i'd never want a rolex replica over even a modestly priced true swiss wash

all perspective

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
You'll see what I mean if you look at some replica watch forums.
The cases of Rolex rep's are never right, as far as I've seen and read.
The "flaws" are that the shape, thickness, contour and detail of the watch
case machining of the rep's differ from genuine Rolex.
Can be spotted with the eyeball (if you know what to look for).

Lets see the "winter leather", then.

B
T

tonypaj

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
You'll see what I mean if you look at some replica watch forums.
The cases of Rolex rep's are never right, as far as I've seen and read.
The "flaws" are that the shape, thickness, contour and detail of the watch
case machining of the rep's differ from genuine Rolex.
Can be spotted with the eyeball (if you know what to look for).

Lets see the "winter leather", then.

B
T

Just out of interest, from a machining point of view, surely it must be possible for the Chinese (or anyone) to get a genuine Rolex, take it to pieces carefully, have it measured exactly, and produce an exact replica.

Shapes, thicknesses, contours, etc., are anyway made computer aided, once you have the numbers, that's it, or am I wrong here? The computer programs, machinery, all that gets cheaper and cheaper every day and is available everywhere. Cosmetics the same. Then you stick in a cheapo movement and you are on your way.

But that's all academic for me, anyway, I wear an Ollech & Wajs with ETA 2801, worth about 100 EUR, good watch, and have a 50-60 year old Longines, if I need something different. Watches are not my hobby...

Edward

Bartender
How can you tell a Rolex is a fake? Well, for one way, if I'm wearing it... lol I've seen many bautiful watches, even bought a few, in Beijing. None of the one I have are an original Rolex, Piaget, Omega, or whatever. Nonetheless, they're lovely watches, in my price band, and three years on for the oldest of them they're keeping good time still, and look fab. The big giveaway that they're not originals in some of the older-style designs at least is the size: real vintage gents watches are much smaller. Next Time I'm out, I might buy some of the ladies' versions for a truer 30s-type look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925