Ask a Question, Get An Answer About Outerwear

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Marc mndt, Jan 4, 2021.

1. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One Too Many

you could probably squeeze down one size, although I think it's pretty close as is, but I think what's more off with it is the front length.

Jin431 and ASpilot like this.
  2. jeo

jeo Practically Family

You’re absolutely correct. I meant and should have specified vintage jackets from the 30’s and 40’s.

3. dwilson

dwilson One of the Regulars

Wanted to follow up on this since my shirts arrived. I should clarify however I bought the henley t-shirts (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002362626221.html) not the crew necks.

Long story short these are the best shirts I've ever seen for $30. If you told me this was made by a Japanese company I would 100% believe you. The cotton is super thick and not slubby. Thickness is about on par with Studio D'Artisan or Samurai and maybe ever so slightly thinner than The Strike Gold (and lacks all the slubbiness of TSG's fabric.) The construction isn't loopwheeled or tube so it has side seams. Side seams never bothered me but I know its a big deal for some. I bought these in China Medium and it fits pretty similar to a on-the-large-size American small. I initially thought it may be a bit too big but after a wash on the hot cycle it shrunk down a bit. Overall I intend on buying more shirts from Red Tornado I'm extremely impressed by the fit, construction, materials and very impressed by the price. Only real con is if you have larger biceps the banding around the arms is a tad tight.

Canuck Panda likes this.
  4. Sonero

Sonero Practically Family

Schott 641 Steerhide/Horshide

I prefer the HH skin much better but really like the zip out liner of the Steerhide. For those with the removable liner how important is it to you at this point after owning it for awhile ? I don't know why the HH liner isn't removable. Too Bad.

5. Alec Leamas

Alec Leamas New in Town

That is good to know, I have a pair of regular / loose fit Red Tornado jeans and I am very very impressed with them so far. Seen some of their t-shirts online too and may well pick up a few!

6. Pandemic

Pandemic One Too Many

It’s a long shot I know, but my Google-Fu has failed me:

Does anyone have a lead on a silver/nickel square double-prong center-bar belt buckle for a 2” belt?

7. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda Practically Family

I never bought from them before but I looked at their stuff every now and then. If you do buy from this place let us know how was your experience. Thanks.

https://leathercrafttools.com/item/10475/

handymike, Pandemic and Marc mndt like this.
  8. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman One Too Many

Anybody bought from Vanson directly recently? Been thinking about the arrow and prices seem very good. Screenshot_20210814_124150_com.android.chrome.jpg

Pandemic and Jin431 like this.
  9. Monitor

Monitor

Yeah, they've lately been having a permanent discount on pretty much all of their jackets, which is really sweet, especially for the Americans. $577 for a Rock'n'Roll is literally nothing, taken into consideration the quality you're getting. IMO, Vanson is one of like three makers right now that are worth the retail price, regardless of how much it is.

Canuck Panda and Jin431 like this.
  10. Canuck Panda

I bought from Vanson directly just month or two ago. It’s best to call them before placing the order to make sure they have your size in stock. They are old school that way. Phone call gets things done much quicker than emails.

Pandemic and roadking04 like this.
  11. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

Thought this Vanson looked familiar. Nice looking jacket.

[​IMG]
    MAH03139.MP4_20210419_174604.157.jpg

12. Imuricecreamman

Nothing stacks up to the original.

Pandemic likes this.
  13. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

Who has had to deal with a Lewis Leather Aviakit Urban Rider?
    Is this also good to wear without the protectors or rather only something for motorcyclists?
    If the dimensions fit, I could get a once worn for 699 EUR.
    160_-170590738.jpg

Jin431 likes this.
  14. Andrew Mier

Andrew Mier New in Town

Hi all,

I am looking into possibly getting an ELMC Californian jacket secondhand, but I am not quite sure of the fit. I am looking at possibly a 44.

I am 6’ 3” at around 220lbs. Here are two of my jackets that probably fit me the best. The previous owner of the ELMC jacket let me know that they are 5’ 10” at 175lbs.

Any thoughts how this jacket may fit me? Should I go for it?

Attached Files:

Jin431 likes this.
  15. Andrew Mier

Andrew Mier New in Town

Here are pics of the ELMC jacket from owner. 5’ 10” 175 lbs with a size 44

Attached Files:

Jin431 likes this.
  16. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

I got the measurements of a 46:
    Shoulder 50cm
    Chest 61cm
    Sleeve 68cm
    Hip 58cm

I therefore think that a 44 is too small.

Jin431 and jonesy86 like this.
  17. Imuricecreamman

This is me at 178cm and 95kg in a size 46. The sleeves must be well short on a guy your height. Screenshot_20210816_173703_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

18. Rawky

Rawky Familiar Face

What's the best way to shrink a leather jacket? I got a jacket years ago, which is a little big in the shoulders and long the sleeves.

19. Monitor

Monitor

Been a long time since Lewis Leathers stopped being biker gear. The armor is soft and intended to be worn off the bike.

Don't count on it. Water might shrink some types of leather and only a little bit but there are no guarantees that it'll happen, let alone that it will turn out even.

Jin431 and Canuck Panda like this.
  20. Canuck Panda

I have the Lewis MK1 jacket and the padding is just quilted wool. So I assume the one you are looking at is also just soft padding. Also 700 EUR is about £600. A new Lewis custom jacket would cost about £750~800, but you get exactly what you want. To me used at 700 EUR isn't the best value.

Wash and dry using dryer. But if it's chrome tanned it might not shrink at all, they are tanned to not shrink/change shape much. If veg tan it will shrink for sure, but it's difficult to control how much and where you want it to shrink. A lot of checking and pulling it back to dimension is needed along the way.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Jin431 likes this.