Ask a Question, Get An Answer About Outerwear

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Marc mndt, Jan 4, 2021.

1. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

Yes, at your size go with the 46. I've owned Several ELMC jackets and I wear a 44.

2. Andrew Mier

Andrew Mier New in Town

Wow this is a good reference! Bummer that the 44 will most likely be too small for me.

Been after one ofnthese for a while and the price is right in this one

3. Andrew Mier

Andrew Mier New in Town

Would a 46 be too big in the chest though? Because this jacket looks like it has a boxy shape to it, I don’t want to drown in fabric.

I like my jackets to fit nice and fitted with just a tee shirt. That’s whybI was thinking the 44 would possibly work.

4. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

Here is a video with two ELMC Californians, one is Havana and sized a 46, the Walnut is sized 44. Both are gone.

I did this video several years ago. There are a couple of Goodwear jackets in the video, both of those are gone too. I was probably 185 pounds, 5'9"

These jackets are fitted even with the "boxy" shape.

Andrew Mier and Marc mndt like this.
  5. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

Thanks for the info.
    Yes, the price is certainly too high.
    I have now found out that it is actually a Racing Jacket No. 442 made for Urban Rider with pockets for armour.
    At Lewis it costs 910 GBP, at Urban Rider 850 GBP + 72 GBP for the armour. I.e. that is then rather 1070 EUR + costs for customs handling.

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/lewis-...-jacket-urban-rider-armour-ready-edition.html
    https://www.lewisleathers.com/productinfo.html?code=Rac442
    d3o-kit.jpg
    Since the dimensions are on the tight side, I will probably rather not take the risk.

Jin431 and Canuck Panda like this.
  6. Andrew Mier

Andrew Mier New in Town

Great video and thanks for the info Terry. Looks like I will be holding off on the 44 then. The ELMC in Walnut you had looked incredible by the way!

7. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

I'm not one to discourage a jacket buy. If the 44 is a good deal, buy it and pass it on!

Andrew Mier likes this.
  8. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

Do spongy hides get firmer/denser over time with wear?

Does anyone have hand on experiences with...

-Deerskin
    -Sheepskin
    -Moose
    -Bison
    -etc

Jin431 and Pandemic like this.
  9. Pandemic

Pandemic One Too Many

As a corollary, do spongy hides eventually absorb oils and waxes over time to make them less spongy and more water resistant?

Jin431 likes this.
  10. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Be careful with conditioners on “exotic” hides.
    Pecard’s is NOT good for use on deerskin. It really messes it up. This is why I’m currently experimenting on my deerskin jacket.
    I believe that they should continue to be spongy for years unless they’ve dried out, or been treated poorly.

11. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda Practically Family

@Marc mndt
    Short answer = No.
    Long answer:
    My deerskin work gloves, still spongy in the palm, but the fingers worn down through the years so it's less spongy now. These gloves been worn for about 8 years now, soaked through countless of times, and no conditioning ever applied. One of the best thing I ever bought. The leather is only about 2.5 oz thick
    My old deerskin riding jacket, also still spongy in a few area. Been with me also for about 8 years. I fell a few times in it, nothing major, nothing showed through. Washed it countless of times, dried it countless of times. No conditioning ever. Looks a little shabby now, but still going strong. Riri zips held up, lining needs replacing. The leather is also about 3 oz, about the same as the Lewis sheepskin.
    My new deerskin (Wapiti), only a month old and worn a couple inside the house. Super thick at 4.5 oz, but hand feels just like the Lewis sheepskin, creases super fast like it too.
    I am expecting my Lewis sheepskin to behave more or less like my deerskins. The leather will stay relatively spongy but as it wears thinner it will be less spongy. And hopefully zero maintenance required.
    Lewis sheepskin seems like really good stuff. Don't worry about it!
    IMG_5674.jpg IMG_5675.jpg IMG_5676.jpg IMG_5679.jpg

jonbuilder, Jin431, handymike and 6 others like this.
  12. Mrfrown

Mrfrown Practically Family

What what?! Is the brown deer/elk jacket one you had made at JL?

Canuck Panda likes this.
  13. Torstein

Torstein Familiar Face

I may or may not be ordering a Suburban. How heavy (or even uncomfortable) is LW 4+ oz HH?

@Carlos840 recently got a super thick (5+ oz?) Appalachian and seems pleased, @deswaaf thinks his Suburban is comfortable because the pattern is good, I think @JMax has more than one 4+ LW, but he also rides. Others (@ton312 ?) think 4 or 4+ oz is too much for a jacket if you're not riding.

I tagged people I think may know something, but all opinions appreciated. It's between 3.5, 4, and 4+ for me.

Mrfrown likes this.
  14. Mrfrown

Mrfrown Practically Family

@Boyo has had a few Suburbans too

Torstein likes this.
  15. Canuck Panda

Yup, that's my first JL. It exceeded my every expectation. Waiting on my second JL to fully endorse the brand though. Consistency is everything for me! But they are pretty awesome.

I have a 4.5 oz LW J24. I don't think if it were 3.5 oz or 4 oz would make any difference. To be fair, not the entire jacket is 4.5 oz. There are thinner and there are thicker areas. This tend to be the case with most horsehide jackets I have, the thickness will vary from place to place.
    LW horsehide tend to be stiff when new but becomes pliable within just a few wears.
    Can't wait to see your new Suburban!

j24.jpg

16. Torstein

Torstein Familiar Face

Thanks @Mrfrown!

And thanks @Canuck Panda for your input. You must be the first person to say there isn't much of a difference in feel between 3.5 and 4.5 :p That being said, I love the hefty look of 4+. Your jacket looks great.

17. ton312

ton312

I think 4-4.5oz you’re ok. 5.5oz. World of hurt.

Torstein and Canuck Panda like this.
  18. Canuck Panda

@Torstein I have jackets that has noticeably thicker sleeves on one arm and not the other. This happens a lot with horsehide, except Shinki, they are very uniform thickness compared to Horween and others tanneries.

LW horsehide is heavyweight stuff. At least in my experience. So advertised 3.5 oz isn't gonna be different than advertised 4.5 oz. On the same jacket, you will get spots that are closer to 3 oz and other spots that are closer to 4.5 oz. But overall it's still heavyweight leather.

If you like the Suburban design, go for it! It will be a good jacket no matter what the advertisement says (3.5 or 4.5 oz). It's still gonna be a heavyweight jacket.

Lost Worlds J24 Measurements 000-8.jpg
    There's two layers on the lapel, so about 1.9mm, this is probably why it was advertised as a 4.5 oz horsehide. I am sure if I measure other parts I can get a reading closer to 3 oz thickness. But it won't make this jacket not a heavyweight.

19. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

All of mine are claimed to be 4oz or more. The ones I have bought new lost their “stiffness”pretty fast. Be active in them. Get them wet. The CHP is very soft. I can fold it into a backpack. His d pockets/cross zips have stiff front panels but those break in too, over time. I think you will be stoked with the suburban. The newer hide isn’t as stiff or hard to break in either.

Canuck Panda, Torstein and Jin431 like this.
  20. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

Isn't this due to the maker? It's the maker that selects the hides for each panel. Not the Tannery. Right?

jonbuilder and Canuck Panda like this.