Ask a Question, Get An Answer About Outerwear

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Marc mndt, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 Practically Family

These cats eye buttons Are featured on this SCHOTT Perfecto Brand jacket currently on classified . Just very cool. 7DCC33C2-3A01-4AE7-B7E5-BDA83004E883.jpeg

Jin431, Canuck Panda and Mrfrown like this.
  2. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

I'm not sure, they might as well be buffalo horn or tortoise (or even tagua but those are hard to produce in large quantities). Any natural material (except for casein) will show those lines.

Jin431 likes this.
  3. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

Corozo buttons are made from the tagua nut.
    They aren't hard to produce, you can buy them all over internet!

I don't know, it's hard to say without seeing them for real, but they don't look like horn or tortoise to me, they have the exact same kind of lines that you see on Corozo, IMO these lines are nothing like what you see on horn:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Compare to these guys selling horn buttons, you won't find a single one that looks like that (their buttons are great, i bought a few and they are some of the nicest i have seen!):

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LithuaniaCrafts?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=653219485

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  4. Marc mndt

Lol you're right, one and the same.

I dyed them because they were partially transparent.

Cornelius and Carlos840 like this.
  5. Kubatu

Kubatu A-List Customer

The seller of this Lost Worlds jacket says that he purchased the jacket on Ebay believing it to be horsehide, but that he is almost certain it is cowhide. I don't really care either way - the hide looks great to me, but I'm curious if Lost Worlds has actually used cowhide for these jackets? There's no HH label, but the lighter-weight HH Lost Worlds I had also lacked a label.

Jin431 likes this.
  6. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 Practically Family

Leather grain question . Does this look like stretch marks , barbed wire, natural grain , or ???

4DAB374A-5E89-4585-AA39-66E1577CCC05.jpeg

Jin431 and Canuck Panda like this.
  7. Marc mndt

My vote goes to stretch marks

8. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda Practically Family

stretch marks

Jin431 and Bahabp100 like this.
  9. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

LW has used cowhide to make jackets. Not common but I have seen them for sale on their site.

Jin431 and Carlos840 like this.
  10. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

I had no idea, did he use a different label for them?
    I know the "Flamingo" labels where used on jackets with grade 2 leather, curious if there was a label for the cowhide jackets.

Are you into Hot Leathers now?

JMax and Marc mndt like this.
  11. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

I don’t recall if the jackets had a label like Flamingo, a cowhide label or just lacked the HH label. He did sell them for less than his HH jackets.

Yep. I saw a bonafide HL at a Texas truck stop the other day and was blown away. A hidden gem for sure.

Carlos840 likes this.
  12. born113

born113 One of the Regulars

Greetings to all.

I want to buy or order a custom-made jacket of approximately the same style.
    I want good quality dark brown leather.
    Tell me the manufacturers of such jackets, please.
    I would also be very grateful for information on what is most important when choosing a leather jacket.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    photo2u and Jin431 like this.
  13. Marc mndt

First manufacturer that comes in mind is Aero.

https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1466

https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1471

Or Dave Sheeley :

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-dave-sheeley-custom-leather-jacket-thread.102215/

Most important to me is fit. There was a thread earlier this year you might find interesting to read if you want to know more about fit:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/understanding-fit-measurements.105209/

BlueAltitudes likes this.
  14. Monitor

Monitor

That it is a quality leather jacket, made by a reputable maker.

15. BlueAltitudes

BlueAltitudes New in Town

I'm going to chime in and repeat what he said about fit. I know it gets repeated a lot but as someone who is just delving into the world of leather jackets since last year I can't emphasize how important that is. I own 5, well maybe 4 due to being unsure of 1 of them being faux, leather jackets and I've now gotten the chance to try on a good variety of jackets. 2 things that I've learned are one, the most expensive jacket doesn't mean the best jacket and two, due to me being a rock climber certain styles suit me waaay better. For example, a gusseted jacket. Also, as far as expensive goes, I tried this one on at Standard and Strange.

https://standardandstrange.com/coll...acket-yume-korozen-dye?variant=31793951801421

Verdict? I didn't like it as much as I thought nor did it fit me as well as I thought.

16. Al 916

Al 916 A-List Customer

but the pony tails look great!

17. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

The most important thing is that the jacket is a pleasure to wear.
    For me, and there I join Marc, it is the fit. Then a design that I think suits me and finally good leather and workmanship.
    If one of these criteria does not fit, I do not wear the jacket.

Marc mndt likes this.
  18. born113

born113 One of the Regulars

Thanks. I know the manufacturer of these jackets because I made a collage of these pictures. But I am looking for similar jackets from other manufacturers.
    I understand the importance of accurate sizing. I assumed that this would be difficult. This is one of the reasons why I didn’t choose the first =Aero Leather= I came across right away.
    Also, before determining the size, the choice of leather is very difficult for me. The manufacturer can declare anything, but I would like to have time to find the opinions of at least some living buyers before I place an order.
    Thanks. Do you know where I can find any lists of reputable manufacturers?
    Thanks. I suppose that it is possible and necessary to request all the measurements of interest from the seller in advance. If the seller cannot give the required measurements then this is a lottery. And this lottery is often a noticeably expensive event.
    Thanks. Please tell me where can I find generalized (summary) information about the types of horse leather from well-known manufacturers of jackets?

P.S. I have had a couple of leather jackets in the last century. But now for me the choice of such a jacket is a completely new thing. Therefore, I apologize for possibly stupid questions.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  19. Marc mndt

born113 likes this.
  20. Pandemic

Pandemic One Too Many

I’m looking for a new belt (to go with leather jackets so please don’t move this to the normie forums :) )

something with a little bling, but not Western - more punk rock but subtle enough for an older dude. I used to have some cheap studded belts when I was younger and was thinking something like that but in a better quality and toned down a bit. I did an eBay search and came up with this from a place called Hollywood Trading Company, which is close to what I had in mind. Any leads on where to look would be much appreciated!

A87995AC-FA52-46EB-8A56-7919DEC5B80B.jpeg

marker2037, JMax and handymike like this.
  21. Marc mndt

https://vebleather.com/collections/all

Or ralph lauren

https://www.ralphlauren.com/men-accessories-belts/rasco-studded-leather-belt/264220.html

B96CF880-6B0B-4D23-BF2A-26F32F6B8BA6.jpeg

marker2037 and Pandemic like this.