Ask a Question, Get An Answer About Outerwear

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Marc mndt, Jan 4, 2021.

1. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

My take— Early Cals look nothing like the Branded or Lesco jackets. Totally different hides. Those SG/early Cals are expensive. Later Cals that are that are dark black, and look more like these jackets, can be had for less. In the same ballpark even. Some later Cals may be priced higher because people think all Cals are the same. I dunno. Also, Cal has a rich history (SG, Hollywood, music, police).

Chevalier, photo2u and Will Zach like this.
  2. Al 916

Al 916 A-List Customer

I have never seen or handled a Cal in RL however from the images posted here I can understand what you are saying on all counts.

JMax likes this.
  3. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda Practically Family

Best source to get Freewheelers jackets? Canadian members, which vendor do you use for FW stuff? Since it's made in Japan, we would have to pay not only the 12% HST but also the 18% import duty. Will any of the vendor declare less than full value? Please PM me if you don't want to get anyone in trouble. I am ok with paying the HST but not the import duty.

4. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

I have now found a belt from Obbi Good Label with stainless steel buckle that I like. And also immediately ordered the brass version.

Marc mndt likes this.
  5. born113

born113 One of the Regulars

Thanks a lot. I watched. And I already found steel and titanium buckles of the shape and size I needed. And I separately ordered the belts in the colors and weight I want from Nicks Boots (they are flexible and negotiable).

MrProper likes this.
  6. Pandemic

Pandemic One Too Many

Not sure where else to put this, so I’ll follow-up here to say I ended up getting an amazing custom belt from Legendary Vintage Belts:

E410CE08-335C-41D2-B422-BE303652ACB2.jpeg 4F628FA4-1AFC-4E6C-8E46-AD0714785E3A.jpeg BE5431E9-C1F1-439B-830A-46B2510DE0FA.jpeg

7. Will Zach

Will Zach Call Me a Cab

Are you going to make your own belts?

8. born113

I'll just replace the buckles and screws. I only needed three specific color belts for myself.

9. Will Zach

Will Zach Call Me a Cab

I bought belt blanks from Weaver Leather, some buckles I liked and made several belts. Fun and cheap (belt blanks are $20, 12-oz leather). But Nick's 12-14 oz is a great choice too.

Canuck Panda, Jin431 and born113 like this.
  10. born113

Those Nicks belts that I mentioned you most likely have not seen yet. Nicks hasn't shown it on their website yet.
    https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...d-old-leather-belts.86444/page-9#post-2884873
    I also thought about belt blanks but did not find exactly the right colors for me. That is, these colors may exist, but I was not sure.

11. Colin G

Colin G One Too Many

Buy direct from the vendor in Japan that sells FW like McFly or whatever or use a proxy like Buyee for yahoo auctions. No one will declare a lesser value so that won't happen. I use yahoo auctions since you can get them way cheaper and bought all mine that way, No way would I pay retail since I think FW is overpriced, but I still love them.

Not once have I ever paid duty, not even when I brought a brand new jacket home from Japan while on vacation. Most I have paid is %10 tax plus a $30 brokerage fee from DHL. When EMS starts sending to Canada again I will pay no tax since everything I have purchased that has been shipped EMS squeaks through with zero tax and no brokerage fee. Post is usually around $50 CAD by DHL for a leather jacket and item is in my hand in a week. Cheaper and faster than buying from the USA. I buy most of my clothes from Japan now and there are zero duty charges with made in Japan goods. The only things I buy here in Canada are t-shirts, underwear and cheap Levis 510 jeans when they go on sale.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Mrfrown, Canuck Panda and Jin431 like this.
  12. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda Practically Family

Thank you!
    I just googled, CPTPP! I didn't know that. I was still under the impression there was only free trade with US and Mexico and not with everyone else. But it seems the rules has changed since 2018.
    Now the hunt has begun...

Colin G likes this.
  13. hughesovka

hughesovka Familiar Face

Does anyone know if a repro of this old Vanson swedish style jacket is being made by anyone? Man that is a cool looking jacket

Vanson-Black-Leather-Jacket-Excellent-Condition-Swedish-Patrol.jpg 2ec96dd51c40d44caf63d76c2db8e96e.jpg

14. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Vanson probably does the best repro. They pop up from time to time. Kadoya leathers makes one. Spotted a few on eBay. Different but cool. I view Kadoya as the Japanese Vanson/Bates.

Originals still out the there. Seen a bunch.

hughesovka likes this.
  15. torfjord

torfjord One Too Many

If you are interested in the textile version they have the full kit here: https://secondsunrise.se/products/vintage-swedish-army-dispatch-riders-jacket-and-pants

The jackets are short and designed to be worn with the accompanying pants. Second Sunrise in Stockholm has the full set for sale (which I’ve never seen before, so pretty rare). I’ve been hovering over the “add to cart” button several times already.

hughesovka likes this.
  16. barnabus

barnabus Practically Family

Does waxed cotton stretch over time?

I have just scored a jacket that's a perfect fit, except it's slightly too trim over my current hips. Will this loosen up with wear, do you think?

I guess it will as, on other waxed jackets I own, the pockets have bagged out more after use and loading.

I realise I could stand to lose a little of this Christmas timber, but stop judging me alright!

17. barnabus

barnabus Practically Family

Never mind! I'm just an idiot, it turns out.

The waist straps were buckled in to their tightest. It fits fine now.

Mrfrown, handymike, torfjord and 2 others like this.
  18. Mrkurtz

Mrkurtz New in Town

My understanding is that the black Urads leather cream is not color fast. The reason I ask is I have an old Vanson Enfield that is starting to look a light gray. My concern is that it will transfer the color to my very light tan leather seats in the car. Am I correct in my understanding about the Urads not staying on the jacket? Thanks everyone.

19. Al 916

Al 916 A-List Customer

I have used Urad on Brown and Black and not noticed any transfer. If it's going to then light tan leather car seats are going to be the magnets.

20. Will Zach

Will Zach Call Me a Cab

I have a similar question. On a black jacket that starts to go greyish and maybe needs a bit of a visual lift, has anybody used Motorcycle Pecards, ie regular Pecards with a bit of a black tint? Does it work?