Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Or licorice

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

2. David Hill

David Hill New in Town

I have read a few posts about the hat Humphrey Bogart wore in The Maltese Falcon, but is there a hat you can buy today that looks like that? I saw the Borsalinos Bogart hat ant is about $500 dollars. I am just curious if anyone has found another hat.

3. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

We get questions like this quite often from newer members and the short answer is, yes, you can find a hat like that, but no, you won't necessarily find the exact brand or model, because that is unknown. There is a discussion thread on the hat in the MF, and although it leans to a Resistol, nobody would know the model. Another thread indicates he wore a Royal Stetson in The Big Sleep.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/bogeys-hat-a-resistol-in-the-maltese-falcon.34977/

Hat manufacturers were constantly churning out new and different hats with different names, blocking, dimensions, etc. Some have names, like a Game Bird or a Wanderer, but many are not identified as such. They are just a Dobbs, or a Royal Deluxe Stetson, or an Adam Executive Quality. They may have had names in the catalog, but they are not to be found on the hat.

You can find some reasonably close models in the Stetson catalog, but your best bet is vintage. Or if you're willing to shell out a little more, a custom hatter can make something to your specs (for considerably less than that $500 Borsa). Keep an eye out for the style you're looking for and nab it when you can. eBay, estate sales, thrift stores, antique markets are your best bets for vintage at an affordable price.

4. There’s also no guarantee that if you buy a hat named after an actor or a movie that the hat you receive will actually resemble the hat you’re after. Most of the time it’s all marketing and not authenticity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

M Hatman, hatsRme, Rmccamey and 3 others like this.
  5. J Williams

J Williams Practically Family

The endless variations of the Indiana Jones hat is an extreme example.

6. Jel

Jel New in Town

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Not sure if you are asking for input on this hat or not. But no way would I pay that kind of money for a wool hat. For not too much more you can get a custom hat made out of real fur felt.

8. +1

M Hatman and Zombie_61 like this.
  9. Jel

Jel New in Town

Yes I'm asking for input. I have no experience with winter wool hats quality or brands

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

10. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Wool is an inferior material with which to make hats (other than knitted toques). They tend to not hold their shape after being wetted from a downpour. The loss of shape is true for both brim and crown. Crowns tend to taper over time. The price point on this is one of the more expensive wools I have seen so it may be better quality than most. However, wool will never be an equal to a decent fur felt. There are a number of custom hatters that can supply you with a fur felt out of rabbit/hare that if taken care of will last you a lifetime...….even if you are young!!! If you are on a tight budget then I suggest you check out Akubra hats out of Australia. They offer rabbit fur felt and the hats are across the board well constructed and rugged (I have one 20 years old). Their price point is well below what they want for the wool one you reference. Check out Everything Austrailian (Akubra) or Hats Direct. They sell a great deal on line and both are highly reputable.

11. Jel

Jel New in Town

Awesome, wife dodged a bullet thanks to you. Have a great one ahead!

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

deadlyhandsome and Zombie_61 like this.
  12. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

This is a great forum for all things fedora. If you have any other questions on where to go for a great hat just ask. Enjoy the hunt.

deadlyhandsome, Blare and Zombie_61 like this.
  13. Louis Mountbatten

Louis Mountbatten One of the Regulars

I was told by a guy on ebay that clear plastic did not show up in hat liners until the 1950s. Is that true, do you guys know? I mean, I guess it makes sense. But how can I find out for sure?

Zombie_61 likes this.
  14. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Yes, the clear plastic showed up around then, owing to the coming revolution in plastics. Prior to that, the material was an oilskin or lighter cellophane. Prior to that, normally no covering at all. The theory is that, as pomades and other hair treatments became prevalent, something to protect the liner tip was needed.

15. Louis Mountbatten

Louis Mountbatten One of the Regulars

Thanks. All that makes perfect sense.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  16. logan74k

logan74k New in Town

Hi there everyone. New Member, so apologies in advance if I make any faux pas with my query here - but I understand this would be a good place to ask with all you knowledgeable folks.

[​IMG]

I'm looking to get a top hat like this made, or possibly off the shelf if it exists. Needs to be very close appearance wise. Would love to get the correct terms to describe what I'm looking for here - what the material is, any relevant info as to construction or style would be great for me as a novice to the hat collecting world.

If you all can recommend specific shops or makers for something like this, I would really appreciate that as well. Thanks!

Attached Files:

17. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto My Mail is Forwarded Here

18. alanfgag

alanfgag

It seems to me that shiny hair dressings for men were popular in the 1930s. The liner of the hat serves as felt protection as well as a way to finish the product and provide advertising to the manufacturer and retailer. Paper (European hats) cellophane and plastic crown protectors seem to be a post-war thing.

19. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Thanks for the clarification.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  20. alanfgag

alanfgag

Just a guess. Seems that hair treatments could be as thick and slick in the 1930s as in the 1950s. I grew up in the "vinyl wrap everyrthing" era. My mom had (I still have) an incredible set of red velour luggage with custom fitted vinyl covers. I'm not sure I have owned any hat from the 1930s with a protector over the crown lining.

gary.jpg