Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. 56DeSoto

56DeSoto Familiar Face

Oh, you haven't seen me try to sew! It's an exercise in frustration and futility. o_O But I will look around to see if there are any hat repair people in my town.

Rmccamey likes this.
  2. I would probably know this if I had been paying attention, but I would have forgotten anyway. Can a 6-3/4 western (not real think felt and not overly stiff) be re-blocked to 7-1/2? The brim is currently 3-1/2". Thinking of a cowboy to fedora conversion.

Blare likes this.
  3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I upsized from a 7 1/8 to 7 5/8 but it was a floppy wide brimmed Borsalino and really easy to work with.

Blare, BobHufford and deadlyhandsome like this.

4. Terry @T Jones took a 6 5/8 western to 7 1/4. I’ve taken a couple of 6 7/8 or even 6 3/4 wide brim black Borsalinos up to 7 3/4 without any issue, other than brim width loss. I was shocked at how easily those Borsalinos slipped over a 7 3/4 block.

Ask Terry, but I suspect that sizing it up in stages would be the best way to go.

5. Thanks Bob and Brent. I have a stretcher I could size down to it's smallest, but not sure what the gap would do as I increased it. I do have a 7-3/8 optimo block and a 7-3/8 #52 (6") block laying around.

[​IMG]

Blare likes this.
  6. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

I think I sized up a couple of 6 5/8. One was a stiff and thick felted Longhair Biltmore Western. I blocked this one in three stages, three different block sizes.
    Here's the Biltmore:
    Before
    [​IMG]

After : tall crowned mid ribbon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and this '50s era No. 1 Quality Stetson
    . The felt on this one was so nice that it stretched easily over my 7 1/4 block with no issues.
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

I also sized up a 6 5/8 Resistol and a few 6 7/8 hats, 7, and 7 1/8 hats.

7. Thanks Terry. If this little western doesn't sell in the next 40 minutes I'll give it a go!

T Jones and Blare like this.
  8. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

That would be me...like hand-to-hand combat with an octopus!

Boomerang and Blare like this.
  9. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

You're welcome, Bob. Good luck with it.

Blare and BobHufford like this.

10. As I said when you were asking about stretching the hat: if you stretch a finished hat you can change the brim tensioning and the brim can become wonky. The sides curling up is a result of the tension changing and it really needs to be re-flange. Actually, the best way to fix it is to strip it (sweatband, liner, crown ribbon) re-block it to the right size, re-flange the brim, and but it all back together. You can try to correct it yourself, but you often just create other problems.

When I’ve had an expensive vintage hat that I needed to have stretched a bit I’ve sent the hats off to Art. Art and David at VS are gifted hatters and they resized the hats and they came back looking and wearing perfect. My own attempts on lesser hats have been mixed with some serious failures. Maybe someone else here has figured out the secrets?

11. jdouglasj

jdouglasj Familiar Face

Yeah, I'm not going to do it myself. It'll be no cost (except shipping) to send it back to Watson's, assuming he can do what I want. Your advice is appreciated, as always. I started another thread on this in the main section that has additional questions.

Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.
  12. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

My experience has taught me....there ain't no secrets to be had. Sometimes the quickest way is the old fashioned route of starting from scratch....quicker in the long run.

Blare, Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.

13. My experience has taught me to send them to a trusted professional before I damage them. A lot of my hats benefit from spending some time with a band block installed and repeated doses of full-crown steaming, but I’m out of the resizing business.

Blare and Zombie_61 like this.
  14. jdouglasj

jdouglasj Familiar Face

Thanks. Yes, I think I'll be sending it back for modifications. Anyone can see how it differs from the DDL hat (rides higher, brim needs more flange), but I'm still hoping I'll find a designer here who will give me a yea or nay on whether or not those modifications will look better on me. At this point I'm asking a fashion question rather than an engineering question.

I know you said it's a personal decision, but a designer will have a better eye than I do. That's why I put a lot of stock in good salesmen with a real eye for design when I'm shopping for clothes (such salesmen are few and far between).

Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.
  15. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Another perspective: I buy what I like and to hell whether it looks good.

16. jdouglasj

jdouglasj Familiar Face

But you probably like it because you think it looks good...

I guess you mean you don't care how it looks to others. Well...

Sometimes I think something looks great, but then after some time passes I'm not so sure. A good example is car shows. I don't know how many times I've been impressed with the design of a new car only to think the opposite a year later. I think the right designer can be trusted when he says "trust me, you want X"

Blare, deadlyhandsome and Zombie_61 like this.
  17. Castalen

Castalen New in Town

Hello gentlemen! A few days ago, I bought my first Borsalino hat (I hope it is original). Does anyone have any information about the hat on the images below or about the vendor? The only trace I found so far is an ad posted in a newspaper from 1940 (last image attached). Thank you!
    IMG_5910.jpg IMG_5911.jpg IMG_5912.jpg IMG_5913.jpg IMG_5915.jpg Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 18.48.56.png

Zombie_61, hatsRme, Blare and 6 others like this.
  18. BryceR

BryceR New in Town

Hello everyone, I recently purchased this hat while thrifting and am curious at to when it comes from. Being that it’s made from a seemingly corduroy fabric I immediately assumed 70s but since the sweatband isn’t leather I thought perhaps 30s. I would greatly appreciate any information you could tell me about the logo or the union hatters tag that I have included in the photos
    54F3E5B4-685A-4BC6-81BE-89C64C4BF0D6.jpeg 427AE98D-42B8-40DB-9521-E5B4DDCF857E.jpeg 54F3E5B4-685A-4BC6-81BE-89C64C4BF0D6.jpeg 427AE98D-42B8-40DB-9521-E5B4DDCF857E.jpeg 41963C73-AFDB-4AFB-BCF5-D961AA258A97.jpeg 6811AC08-923B-4F94-BE91-C6B2436A24E4.jpeg 8AE6B4F7-AE7B-417E-BA7E-1A47A657B355.jpeg

Blare, deadlyhandsome and BobHufford like this.
  19. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

Go with your first thought

deadlyhandsome and Blare like this.
  20. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Definitely some late 60s 70s maybe even early 80s cues there. That union tag ended in 83. I’m not sure what date Stetson let union workers back in. After Stevens?