Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

We're with you Steve. Most grade school kids can operate phones better than I can these days :)

Blare and Steve1857 like this.
  2. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Thanks Randy, but it's only on the FL that my photo posts are sideways. Everywhere else, they're the right way up.

Very frustrating!

Rmccamey and Blare like this.

3. I still miss Tapatalk.

Steve1857 and Blare like this.
  4. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Happens whenever I post straight from my phone. If I save them from my google photos onto my iPad and post from there they come up fine. Or as Brent said any slight crop seems to solve it

Steve1857 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  5. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

I'm with you all the way there Brent!

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  6. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Thanks Joe. I'll try that, but it's a long winded way to go about things. Seems like the FL's system needs a complete overall if you ask me.

Blare likes this.
  7. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

This is the complete overhaul.

Zombie_61 and Blare like this.
  8. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

It is a totally odd thing that mostly for me seemed to be related to the site unable to read the directional info attached to photos taken on android devices. I have had it happen elsewhere on the internet. Even Facebook from time to time but mostly here. When I used an iPhone it didn’t seem to happen as much... HOWEVER oddly enough I have had it happen a few times when I took photos directly on my iPad. So who knows.

I also remember at one point if I posted directly from my moto phone it looked fine to me... but sideways to anyone else not viewing on android. Whatever the case both of the convoluted solutions above solved the issue.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  9. steur

steur

Thanks, guys. Makes sense.

Blare likes this.
  10. Belkar

Belkar New in Town

This is a Fedora right? If so, this is the style I’m after. Classical utilitarian. I’ll soon be ordering something in Dark Moss, so color is less my concern than probable dimensions.

I know I may be asking something impossible to answer with certainty, but what approximate specs do your expert eyes see?

82B76FD8-9B56-47C0-91BC-DA45F74D81C9.jpeg A5873BF6-5803-4E5C-9289-35DC865BEEC5.jpeg

Zombie_61, Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.
  11. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Tapered crown, 4 1/4" at the pinch. 3" to 3 1/4" on the brim. Dark Moss in theWinchester beaver is a great colour especially for an outdoorsy/hiking type hat. You can go either with a ribbon or leather band.

12. Belkar

Belkar New in Town

Is tapered Crown the norm?

And I like darker, earth tones. I’m thinking Black or Charcoal ribbon. With a matching brim binding because I like the look.

Zombie_61 and Blare like this.
  13. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Also give some thought to the look/feel of the hat you want. Do you want a floopy brim as in your example? Check with your hatter and discuss how you will be using the hat.....casual/dressy or a rugged outdoors hat. If it is for more rugged use perhaps consider going with a 50/50 beaver/rabbit in western weight or a 100% beaver in western. The western weight will get you a hat more robust and will stand up to the more rugged use than a dress weight. But discuss it with your hatter.

Zombie_61, Blare and Belkar like this.
  14. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

There is no 'norm'....only likes and preferences. If you are ordering from Michael Gannon check out his Instagram posts. His 'look' tends to the full crown, non taper.....which I happen to love but it is not for everyone and some prefer a bit of taper/lower crown.

Blare, jlee562 and Belkar like this.
  15. Belkar

Belkar New in Town

Design wise I don’t hate my Stetson Bozeman, thought I want to pull away from the “western” look a bit. (My intent to order in western weight notwithstanding. )

Does this appear to taper? I’m not sure how noticeable this would be.

Man, going back to my office job did me about 25 pounds of no favors. :(

Attached Files:

Bill Hughes, Zombie_61 and Blare like this.

16. It’s near impossible to accurately guess dimensions without knowing the hat size (head size) of the person. A 2 1/2” brim looks small on my large head but the same brim looks decidedly wide on my smaller headed friends.

The hat in your photo is a fedora. Dress weight beaver that’s not pounced thin makes for a rugged hat and suitable for outdoor adventures. Western weight felt can be very stiff so make sure you and your hatter agree on what you want before you proceed. I like western weight felt for some hats but it’s stiffer than what I want for most hats, including most western style hats.

Nothing is worse than spending a lot and waiting months and ending up with a hat you that’s not what you want. If you tell your hatter your size and send him that photo he/she should be able to get you the right proportions. Most all hats some some degree of taper, and the degree is a personal preference. I mostly like minimal taper, but some styles need more taper. Communication with your hatter is paramount.

Good luck.

Zombie_61, Blare and Belkar like this.
  17. nvilletele

nvilletele One of the Regulars

I’ve been away for a while. Still wearing my hats, and still buying some, though not so often anymore since I have way too many as it is. (Ok, I do realize there is no such thing as too many hats.)

I recently helped my friend get a nice Panama for her man for their anniversary, and in doing so came across a Biltmore Montreal Panama in my size (7 1/4) on sale, for around $175. It is the hat in my avatar. It is one of Biltmore’s highest quality panamas (I think they have one that is a higher quality weave).

Now, I already have one of these, but the price was really great, so I went ahead and bought it, I guess sort of as an insurance policy, as I really love this hat. Plus my current Montreal brim won’t currently flip down, unless I steam and reshape it (it’s a 2”). It may have been as a result of a little stretching I once did on the hat. But I do have 50 or 60 hats already, maybe more.

Anyway, my question is: Did I do the right thing to get a second one of these, under these circumstances?

Or is that, as I suspect, a very silly question?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Blare and Belkar like this.
  18. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

23D9EDA2-5ED3-4245-A6CD-EDEA94B1C70F.png 9725ECF4-5D1B-4F0D-83EC-8F0AD27D3E6F.png
    It has to do with file size. Cell phone images seem to exceed ideal direct lounge posting limits that appear ok on the phone but present sideways to most members. Cropping or resizing diminishes file size and present upright when posted and viewed.
    This works to re-size phone images.
    Ymmv
    B

WonkyBloke and Blare like this.
  19. The Shoe

The Shoe Practically Family

Just wondering how the add situation is. Are they still making it impossible to navigate?
    Just asking because if it has improved, I’m quite happy to disable my add blocker as I would like to support the site.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  20. Snowman

Snowman A-List Customer

Mine post sideways unless I click on “Full Image” instead of “Thumbnail.” It seems to default to the thumbnail if you don’t make a choice.

Zombie_61 and Steve1857 like this.